Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,236,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Does the Bible condone or condemn homosexuality?

There's your answer.

Those that speak against it are in line with the Bible. Those that water-down the Bible and condone sin are not in line with the Bible's teachings.
The bible is a book of fiction that is not relevant to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM

38,759 posts, read 22,555,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But why is homosexuality regarded as a much more serious sin than the others? Nobody makes a big deal out of someone eating shellfish, even though the Bible says don't do it. Is it because engaging in homosexual behavior should be regarded as a far more grossly offensive act than eating shellfish?
While you may argue that some parts of the bible do not list shell fish as a proper food. However, the process of eating shell fish still provides the same exact nutritional benefits and results as eating fish. Having sex is for procreation, and a man having sex with another man does not lead to procreation any more them eating sand is nutritious.

A man having sex to another man, instead of a woman, would be the equivalent of eating sand, instead of fish. Both actions mimic each other, but do not produce the same results.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,647,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

It is not for YOU or any other follower of Christ's to judge the sins of others. .
It is not for any adult, speaking on behalf of an anti-bullying program to publicly ridicule, mock and humiliate school children; i.e., BULLY them into submission.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,112,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Applause for Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better†project.
really---based on what i saw--it was a hate christians-pro gay--name call those that do not hear me --arrrogant,self absorbed ego maniac that those kids were subjected to and btw--if he was the first gay man i ever listened to his approach would turn me against the gay agenda

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM

38,759 posts, read 22,555,861 times
Quote:
I look upon the bible as a good collection of wisdom and story telling, with some actual truth and history mixed in, I just don't know which parts are true and which are just fictional stories that teach morality and lessons on life.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 PM

289 posts, read 312,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
WoW!! DOUBLE WoWoW !!

How nice of you to conviently FORGET
is what God said about homosexuality being an ABOMINATION in HIS SIGHT!
I suppose that depends on what translation you're relying on, doesn't it?

Quote:
Again you leave out so many important portions of scripture that clearly show you have no knowledge of what the bible speaks about.
Ditto.

Quote:
God is the same yesterday today & forever.
Anyone who has actually read the Bible can see that God changed rather significantly as time passed. Truly, were they the documented actions of a person, we would probably consider them to be bi-polar and severely passive-aggressive.

Quote:
He is the exact same God that told King David - only take one woman for your wife;

How many did David Take ?? He even murdrerd one man for his wife Bathsheba!

The same God told King Solomon - LIsten - I told your father to only take one wife - he didn't listen and all of those women drove him nuts and caused him countless troubles. I'm telling you solomon - only take one.. Solomon said OK and he took ONE thousand!! They drove him to the point of insanity!

Did God abandon them ?? Not one bit.. It is said of King David .. by the Lord - David is the apple of my eye!! and it is also said that the Lord would not take away his love of Solomon! He was blessed beyond any other man as the richest wisest most powerful King that ever lived until this day.
Ah, I see. So God does treat some sinners differently.... I guess that was just God being "the same....forever".

Perhaps you'd care to reason out why someone who willfully and deliberately disobeyed the Word of God (not to mention an obvious breaking of the 6th Commandment) was subsequently rewarded by God without regard to said behavior?

Quote:
First one should learn the ENTIRE bible before they nitpick and twist their perception of what the bible actually says.
Yes, perhaps you should.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 PM

180 posts, read 203,381 times
He sounds like a bully with a pulpit and a big chip on his shoulder.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,647,838 times
Quote:
And this comment is irrelevant to this thread, which is not about whether you believe and follow the Bible or not; but about the inappropriateness of any adult, let alone one that was specifically invited to participate in our Dept of Educ. national anti-bullying program by our current administration, to try and teach high school kids his version of the Bible and to subject them to sexual humor, vulgar profanities and to call out Christian students and mock and ridicule them all at a presentation designed to teach anti-bullying. Its not right.

Our president, who has supported this vulgar man, needs to apologize to the students he offended and disaffiliate this man from any association with the Anti-Bullying Program if it is to have any semblance of credibility.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,974,690 times
Quote:
WoW!! DOUBLE WoWoW !!

How nice of you to conviently FORGET
is what God said about homosexuality being an ABOMINATION in HIS SIGHT! [/b]
I didn't forget it at all. "Lying with a man as a woman."is clearly called an abomination in Leviticus. Also called abominations are eating seafood without scales, eating eagles, eating pork, allowing menstruating women to dwell amongst you, wearing clothing made from more than one fabric, using rigged weights when trading, and all sorts of other things. If God is the "Exact same," then why are many of these abominations just fine, but homosexuality is a terrible sin? Do you pray for forgiveness after wearing a poly-cotton sweater, or eating shrimp scampi?

Quote:
Again you leave out so many important portions of scripture that clearly show you have no knowledge of what the bible speaks about.

God is the same yesterday today & forever.

He is the exact same God that told King David - only take one woman for your wife;

How many did David Take ?? He even murdrerd one man for his wife Bathsheba!

The same God told King Solomon - LIsten - I told your father to only take one wife - he didn't listen and all of those women drove him nuts and caused him countless troubles. I'm telling you solomon - only take one.. Solomon said OK and he took ONE thousand!! They drove him to the point of insanity!

Did God abandon them ?? Not one bit.. It is said of King David .. by the Lord - David is the apple of my eye!! and it is also said that the Lord would not take away his love of Solomon! He was blessed beyond any other man as the richest wisest most powerful King that ever lived until this day.

Worry is a sin!! God says 366 times in the bible do not worry. Just trust HIM. One warning for every day of the year plus one more just in case you might forget!!

First one should learn the ENTIRE bible before they nitpick and twist their perception of what the bible actually says.

Hosea chapter one - Go find a harlot for a wife!! Does it say that about Hosea or what ???

Like I stated; first you need to learn before you can teach!!
What part did I leave out? And what does that little lessen about David have to do with the subject at hand. I'm being very consistant here when I say that Jesus had nothing to say about homosexuality, but did explicitly say remarriage after divorce is committing adultery. Does your church allowed divorced people to get married?

So, let's move to the part of the New Testament that does address homosexuality. Paul's Letter to the Roman's (Not the words of Jesus) explicitly calls homosexuality a sin, That's very clear. Paul also instructs slaves to be obedient to their masters. So, is your church okay with slavery? And in Timothy, Paul strongly says that women should not speak on religious matters. Does your church have woman teaching Sunday School?

So, please explain to me who is cherry picking here. If a sin is a sin, and God is consistant, then why do we ignore the blatant sins committed by straight sex having, bacon wrapped shrimp eating, poly-blend wearing, Evangelical Protestants?

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 04-28-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,719,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But how are gays doing that? Do they do it by trying to seduce straights to have sex with them?
let's just take this one example. The topic was supposed to be an anti-bully speech and/or seminar. But, the speaker Savage went straight (no pun intended) into homosexuality and the bible. Yes, I realize that he is gay, and that gays are often the victims of bullies. However, he abused his platform by going off-topic and demonizing all Christians. He intentionally divided the characters as Christian bullies vs gay victims. His speech was divisive which is counter-productive to the "anti-bully" theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies