Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM

180 posts, read 203,351 times

Advertisements

After reading more of this tread and only seeing more bullies support other bullies and say it's okay because Christians did it first, I still have the same opinion: I am tolerant of gays and lesbians and have friends I work with who are. Tolerance is different than acceptance. I can tolerate behavior without accepting or judging it as right or wrong. Many can't. Many gays and lesbians can't tolerate any view that differs from their own. There are bigots on both sides just like there are definite Christian bashers and bullies on this thread. I believe minority groups should be able to enjoy the same rights as every American. However, I don't believe a behavior makes one a minority. Let the bullying begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
After reading more of this tread and only seeing more bullies support other bullies and say it's okay because Christians did it first, I still have the same opinion: I am tolerant of gays and lesbians and have friends I work with who are. Tolerance is different than acceptance. I can tolerate behavior without accepting or judging it as right or wrong. Many can't. Many gays and lesbians can't tolerate any view that differs from their own. There are bigots on both sides just like there are definite Christian bashers and bullies on this thread. I believe minority groups should be able to enjoy the same rights as every American. However, I don't believe a behavior makes one a minority. Let the bullying begin.
You're a poopy-head.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM

180 posts, read 203,351 times

Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM

30,457 posts, read 52,171,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
This thread didnt even get off the ground before Christians were attacked
I'm not talking about Christians being attacked, which was basically the whole PREMISE of this thread - so of course that was brought into the discussion early on, since the OP was basing his whole argument on "he attacked Christians." I'm talking about the BIBLE and its supposed condemnation of homosexuality, which is inevitably brought into every discussion about gay people. How does that even matter, when not everyone in this country (or world) is a Christian?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
LOL... I hope you didn't take that (helenejen's) comment seriously.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've read your posts and they're one special rights blank check after another.

"support of their being treated fairly"

"a supporter of their equal rights"

"defending their right to live without fear and bigotry"

Any limits on what these entail?
Not really, unless the person's (or group's) actions are actually hurting another person... for example, I don't think pedophiles should enjoy "equal rights" to abuse children.

But if your only issue with homosexuality is that it's "abnormal," "icky," or goes against your personal religious beliefs, I don't feel those qualify as hurting you or being deserving of hatred/inequality.

Quote:
How will we know when these less than specific goals have been achieved?
Hard to say in general, but in the case of gay rights I'd say when homosexuals are allowed to marry the consenting adult they love? Or when they can hold hands in public (something straight people do regularly), without being called a deviant freak? And in the case of bullying in schools, I guess it's made progress when incidents of bullying & related suicides have decreased. It's not only about enacting or enforcing laws of equality, it's also about learning to treat each other with respect - and yes, that includes Christians too.

FWIW, have I ever attacked Christians? I might challenge Christian beliefs from time to time, but I'm always very careful to treat their people with equality and respect. And never would I support any laws which oppressed Christians, or told them who they could not marry, that they could not practice their religion, etc.

Quote:
If there is a limit, it would seem publicly attacking Christians doesn't cross the line.
Yes, it would. I actually haven't watched the full video yet, since I was posting from my iPhone (and running out of juice) earlier... but there is a difference between challenging and attacking, and I'll determine which one he was practicing when I watch the video. If he was in fact attacking Christians, I would not condone that kind of behavior either. Two wrongs don't make a right, and while nobody is perfect, I usually try my best to avoid being a hypocrite.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-28-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,162,823 times
Just anther perso who snapped and ended his career .

Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Now getting back to the issue at hand, let's go with the assumption he WAS attacking Christians... even if we all agree that was wrong, how is it relevant to the anti-bullying movement in general? Maybe his approach was flawed (he is famous for inciting controversy, right?), but I don't see how this one man's actions should debunk an entire movement. I think the "It gets better" campaign sends a wonderful message, and quite honestly I wish such a thing had existed when I was young.

I'm not in favor of any government measures, necessarily, but sending out a positive message like that is nothing but good IMO. Some very prominent and less controversial celebrities have contributed, and I've personally heard teens say how it DID make them feel better. I know one teen who was contemplating suicide last year, and knowing that he's not alone (and us adults from his after-school program reassuring him it does get better) got him through those rough times. How is that a bad thing?

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-28-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,494,591 times
The oppressor becomes the oppressed!

Ah, the martyrdom and persecution complex. Still going strong! Does it make you feel closer to your god? That whole, "Dear Lord, they're testing our faith?" thing? Newsflash: You're not a martyr, you're not persecuted. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Cry me a river, and then call on your gods of choice to help you get over it. Worked for the Jews, right? I'm sure you too, will survive.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Don't be silly. The left is completely intolerant of folks who do not agree with them.
Not true. We're just intolerant of bigots who use religious extremism and an ignorant understanding of a 4000 year old text to oppress hundreds of millions of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies