Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that always gets me too!! Their favorite anti-gay passages usually come from the Hebrew Bible (I won't call it the "Old Testament," sorry), but if you use another original passage as rebuttal they whine "I'm a Christian, so I don't have to follow Hebraic/Abrahamic laws!" Okay, then stop using and distorting our Bible to justify your hate, and stick to the one with Jesus. Deal??
I usually say Tanakh or Torah, but sometimes I slip and do "Old Testament" since it's what Christians are more familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Calling God gay is a sin.
So is judging other people in His name, but that doesn't seem to bother you...

Furthermore, don't you know sins & Biblical laws aren't to be imposed on the non-believers? I wonder what they taught you in Sunday School, because it sure is different from what I learned!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The favorite line of all those who have not read the bible.... the judge not line.. anyone who uses that I know is not of the spirit of wisdom. God's full word will judge .

I do not see any other words of God come from you. You would do yourself a great saving soul experience if you actually read the word of God before you use just the line of judge not to find the whole meaning of what Jesus died on the cross. You will be wonderfully amazed how loving the word is and also how exhorting it is for the remission of sin.
I have read the Bible, and you are distorting it more than the poster to which you're responding... yep.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I'm glad he said what he said. If you're going to talk about the bullying and mistreatment of gay people in this country, how can you not address the root of that bullying - conservative, religious-borne hatred.
1. Gays are not the only people bullied in this country.

2. "Conservative, religious" thought is not necessarily the "root" of all bullying.

3. You can talk about bullying and mistreatment of people without viciously attacking and trying to change peoples' belief system; their religion. You can teach what behaviors constitute bullying, how harmful it can be, how to recognize it and what consequences follow. You can discuss the importance of respecting and behaving with civility toward all people, regardless of whether they are like you or different than you, whether you like them or don't like them, , etc.

4. This man wasn't really addressing bullying. He was addressing politics; specifically SSM & the need to change the Bible/silence the Christians in order to do so. Most Christians are fully capable of treating Gays with respect even if the Bible tells them that homosexuality is wrong.(Good example is the Christian students quietly leaving while the speaker ranted and cursed at the Bible.) But many Christians cannot, in good faith, accept same sex marriage. The speaker knows this and thus was trying to discredit the Bible and discredit the Christian students.

5. What he did was bully and harass the Christian students. It was also reported that this adult made some inappropriate sexual jokes to these kids. Sounds like it could be construed as religious and possibly sexual harassment or at least bordering on it. In any event, is this the example of behavior we want to set for our school kids? I think Obama needs to come out and apologize on behalf of this man, whose programs he has supported and whose input has been sought for the national anti-bullying campaign. This is no role model for our youth. (Are there no respectful, moderate, reasonable homosexual representatives around who are capable of civil discourse to speak to these issues? I know they exist as I have been the acquaintance of some.)

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Your god is not acknowledged as god by everyone. Therefore, what he supposedly says means nothing. You can bite into your carpet with rage over that one.
I have no rage Visvaldis - just your imagination running wild.

I am just quoting what it says in that book.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I usually say Tanakh or Torah, but sometimes I slip and do "Old Testament" since it's what Christians are more familiar with.
It's okay... I use that term as well sometimes, just because it confuses people otherwise. Most Jewish people either call it the Torah or simply "The Bible," but when you say that around a Christian they assume you're referring to the New Testament. And if you say "Old Testament" around an Orthodox Jew, it's likely they will find that to be offensive - as it implies our Bible is no longer valid, and has been replaced by the Christian one. I'm not super religious, though, so I generally don't correct people on that!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The word Of God trumps anything man has to say. Why believe in God if one can't believe in what He has to say? God said it , I believe it.
You can believe whatever you want, but it is actually considered a GOOD thing to question The Bible... otherwise how will you learn, grow, and deepen your beliefs? This is what my Rabbis have taught us over the years, and it's sad if your clergymen have demanded following without question or challenge. Isn't that like a dictatorship? I'm not saying you should call G-d "wrong," just that it's always a good thing to question anything which doesn't make sense along the way.

I know this isn't part of your Bible, but you might find this reading interesting: http://ohr.edu/805

You should pay particularly close attention to this part, which applies to both being the questioner and answering him/her - "The answer is that there are two types of fools. One type of fool already 'knows' everything. For him, discussion is merely an opportunity to show off his 'superior' knowledge. There is no point in answering him, because he will never admit a fault. On the contrary, our attempts to educate him will meet with ridicule. As he rejects our insights one after another, the fruitlessness of our efforts makes us appear foolish.

But there is another type of fool: One aware of his limitations. His views are wrong and foolish, but he's not completely closed to instruction. If we open the lines of communication we can have an impact on him. If we don't reach out to him, he'll eventually start to think: "I've held these views for so long, and no one has ever contradicted me - so, I must be right!"

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-30-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 AM

327 posts, read 644,529 times
It's a shame that his use of "pansy-assed" may mean the rest of his incisive commentary gets overlooked. Such is Savage's style. And as someone who has assuredly been called a "pansy" or worse in his lifetime, I grant Dan Savage more leeway to use such inflammatory langauge than those of us who have never suffered such Biblically-justified bigotry.

Are you people claiming there aren't portions of the Bible that should be considered BS by modern standards?

Can we just edit this video to end a few seconds earlier and pay close attention ot the VITAL POINTS HE'S MAKING!? Would that be all that different than those religiously minded who wish to excise the uncomfortable parts of the Bible(as he mentions, on such topics like slavery and menstruation) while claiming there are valid moral teachings in and amongst the offensive stuff?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Can we just edit this video to end a few seconds earlier and pay close attention ot the VITAL POINTS HE'S MAKING!?
Indeed. Though I still don't think he was morally wrong for the way he chose to word everything, he did inadvertently give people something else to highlight so that maybe all his other words wouldn't, you know, reveal them as the evildoers

Sometimes you have to create a stir to move change along. Had Rosa Parks gave up her seat with a mumbling of how "This isn't right", she would've spurred no change at all.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
He saw an opportunity to bully a captive audience.

He's no better than people who bully others.

LOSER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies