Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't believe anyone is proposing raising taxes on the middle class. Certainly not Romney...his plan includes cuts in tax rates for everyone and eliminating some deductions, with more deductions being eliminated for the top 1% than anyone else. His plan could result in tax increases for some of the lower class, but not the middle class.

I haven't looked at the Ryan plan in great detail but, minimally, it does not call for increasing tax rates on the middle class.
You don't believe anyone is proposing raising taxes on the middle class? Then you haven't read the Ryan Budget, which would raise taxes for 95% of Americans while lowering it for the top 5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
1 in 7 US mfg jobs are for exports, and that sector is up double digits this decade. Not everything is toy making-there are areas where we have an edge manufacturing globally. There are Southeastern RTW mfg plants I personally have experience with which would have been CLOSED w/o their thriving export markets.

Good points.
We make lots of stuff that the rest of the world wants.

Made In The USA: An Export Boom : NPR

Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Again, SPENDING, investing into a business, one way to avoid taxation. Raising the tax rate would encourage me to shelter, invest, to avoid taxation. Lower the tax rate and you encourage businessmen to reap their profits INSTEAD of investing. Every time tax rates are lowered there is a short spurt of higher tax revenues because of people taking there profits and cashing out.
This is how things were done during the 70-90% tax era.

Either that or they would donate majority of it to charitable organizations. But they wouldn't hoard it.

There was an interview from the late 70s where Colonel Sanders discussed how he avoided the high tax rates.

Guess what he did?

1979 Colonel Sanders Interview - YouTube

Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The last 10-years have had the lowest tax-rates in a 80 years
Gee, I wonder why that would be?

Quote:
and also the worst economic growth.
Say it with me now.

G-L-O-B-A-L-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N

Quote:
Back then, rich people didn't seem to need tax-cuts to invest their money.
Well of course they didn't care back then because they wouldn't be rushing off to nonexistent emerging markets.

Ohh, that's right. Most of the rest of the world was in shambles after World War II.

Now? They have to rush off to those emerging markets to keep growing so they don't become stagnant and get bought out or taken over.

It's now very clear that you don't seem to understand and notice that as globalization picked up rapidly tax rates fell just as rapidly, and for good reason.

You do want American companies to be able to compete don't you because I have to say if we continue on with your logic it doesn't seem that that's what your goal is.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
The last 10-years have had the lowest tax-rates in a 80 years and also the worst economic growth. The periods where tax-rates were high had also the highest economic growth. Back then, rich people didn't seem to need tax-cuts to invest their money.
First, dotcom investment and tangible investment are different worlds.

2nd the mistake we made the last 10 plus years is cap gains if it was previously existing equity should be taxed as ordinary income, while IPO gains should be tax free. Trades of stock do nothing for scoiety; IPOs rock.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Gee, I wonder why that would be?

Say it with me now.

G-L-O-B-A-L-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N

Well of course they didn't care back then because they wouldn't be rushing off to nonexistent emerging markets.

Ohh, that's right. Most of the rest of the world was in shambles after World War II.

Now? They have to rush off to those emerging markets to keep growing so they don't become stagnant and get bought out or taken over.

It's now very clear that you don't seem to understand and notice that as globalization picked up rapidly tax rates fell just as rapidly, and for good reason.

You do want American companies to be able to compete don't you because I have to say if we continue on with your logic it doesn't seem that that's what your goal is.
I wasn't referring to right after WWIi. I was referring to the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, when capital gains rates were 39.9%, more than twice today's rate.

If you are trying to argue that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000, when taxes were higher. You know what’s happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation.

Moreover, nobody can serious think that investors that own stock index futures for 10 minutes should have 60 percent of their gain taxed at 15 percent, as if they’d been long-term investors.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to right after WWIi. I was referring to the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, when capital gains rates were 39.9%, more than twice today's rate.

If you are trying to argue that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000, when taxes were higher. You know what’s happened since then.
since than dot com bust and Y2K went away as job creation one-time forces.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Obama doesn't effect how the BLS computes data. The BLS is made up of professionals that have a mathematical formula that hasn't changed during Obama's presidency. To suggest that the Administration has been cooking the numbers is silly.

But even at plus 115,000 and the other revisions (The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for February was revised from +240,000 to +259,000, and the change for March was revised from +120,000 to +154,000,)it's sure better than the Europeans, who have embraced austerity -- exactly what the GOP wanted here.
Clearly you don't know how Washington works. Ever heard of political appointees? Of course you have. But you choose to ignore these tidbits because they throw a monkey wrench into your Obama Can Do No Wrong™ message.

Let me introduce you to the BLS political appointee...the acting Commissioner....you know...that guy who works for the President:

John M. (Jack) Galvin, Associate Commissioner for Employment and Unemployment Statistics

He wouldn't be "political appointee" if he wasn't hired to carry the President's water. Do you know what "political" means? More importantly, do you know who he ultimately answers to?

To suggest that politics aren't at play here shows an astounding amount of naivete on your part. In your world, it's all about charts and graphs and any other inane graphic you can produce to defend Dear Leader. Fortunately for us, that's where fantasy ends and the real world begins.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Clearly you don't know how Washington works. Ever heard of political appointees? Of course you have. But you choose to ignore these tidbits because they throw a monkey wrench into your Obama Can Do No Wrongâ„¢ message.

Let me introduce you to the BLS political appointee...the acting Commissioner....you know...that guy who works for the President:

John M. (Jack) Galvin, Associate Commissioner for Employment and Unemployment Statistics

He wouldn't be "political appointee" if he wasn't hired to carry the President's water. Do you know what "political" means? More importantly, do you know who he ultimately answers to?

To suggest that politics aren't at play here shows an astounding amount of naivete on your part. In your world, it's all about charts and graphs and any other inane graphic you can produce to defend Dear Leader. That's where fantasy ends and the real world begins.
You better just come out and tell him... Otherwise he will be pondering it for weeks.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
since than dot com bust and Y2K went away as job creation one-time forces.
The housing bubble, which was highly leveraged, was bigger than the 1990s stock bubble. You can't make excuses for Bush's mediocre job gains. You're just being an apologist for conservative policies that history concludes do not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies