Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why not?

Look at some of the nicest summer vacation spots, for example Rehoboth Beach, DE. Virtually all of the summer help is from Eastern Europe.

Why don't employers want to hire American kids?
Frankly? Because American kids are too lazy. They demand too much and give too little to be viable employees.. They have been spoiled by their parents and believe the world owes them something. This is NOT true of all american youth, but sadly it is true of a tremendous number of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Why not?

Look at some of the nicest summer vacation spots, for example Rehoboth Beach, DE. Virtually all of the summer help is from Eastern Europe.

Why don't employers want to hire American kids?
Have you SEEN American kids at work ?
I have harped at my own son that the cellphone MUST be turned off the minute you walk through that door to work.

Adults take the work seriously. They NEED this money to survive.
The kids..well this is just extra spending money and if there's a big party on Friday night..well they'll just call in sick on Saturday.

My son told me there are about 5 or 6 at his job that just gave their notice at work.
School is coming to an end and they want the summer off so they are quitting. These are college age kids. Some I can understand as they have to give up the dorms and have no place to live, but others just want to "hang out" for the summer with no responsibilities.

That's certainly a big change in attitude than when I was a teenager, even at 17-18. Once you took a job you kept it even over the summer.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I see that as a good thing. I didn't need to have a job until I had a masters degree (and I was 22 at the time). The focus was entirely on building a career, not flipping burgers.
However, there's problems with that plan for recent graduates...

1. Students must start out making at least $50K immediately out of college in order to keep up with the student loan debt most of them carry on average (in addition to meeting their basic living expenses).

2. Many companies refuse to train their employees now. Many of them require 2-3 experience IN THAT FIELD for entry level jobs now.

3. A Bachelor's Degree is the new High School Diploma. The days of going to trade school and earning a certificate or attending community college just to earn a 2-year degree are coming to a close. Many companies are even requiring Bachelor's Degrees for Administrative Assistant positions.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-06-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
There's no question this is a major crisis brewing for America.

But of course, since when have Americans thought about things from a long-term perspective?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
So why aren't Americans doing them?

Seriously.

Because the employers, have tapped into a fairly dependable workforce, that usually has a few kids to feed and value the family unit with their catholic religion, which gives them values which make a great employee. They are so loyal they will take pennies on the dollar, so they don't have to struggle at $8 a day, working 12-14 hour days, south of the border.

It is not that it is something they don't want to do, it is now the employers choice to exploit them for the lowest wages possible.

It goes to the employer looking for dependable and responsible employees.
A teenage kid, or a responsible parent, both willing to take a low wage job... Who gets the job???

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Frankly? Because American kids are too lazy. They demand too much and give too little to be viable employees.. They have been spoiled by their parents and believe the world owes them something. This is NOT true of all american youth, but sadly it is true of a tremendous number of them.
And blaming illegals solves this how?

I happen to agree with you. One of the markers of the (new) middle class is being well off enough that one's kids don't have to work like they probably did.
They want their kids to concentrate on school so that they get into a good college and get rich on Wall St.

Yet, somehow, we keep coming back to "illegals are taking the jobs."
It like the chicken and the egg. If American kids had been willing to do the jobs, illegals would have never had the opportunity to take them, and if employers hadn't gotten spoiled by cheap labor, they would have to pay livable wages that American kids might be willing to work for.

And so it goes...

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM

434 posts, read 684,855 times
I didn't read the article the OP posted, but I know that all three of my kids started restaurant work before they were 16. My oldest worked continually (he is now 22) and the other two worked intermittently, getting jobs when they wanted.They are all three in college and working to help pay their way, and my youngest is still 19.

Living in small to medium-sized college towns in the Midwest may have helped them buck the trend. I am glad they have the work experience.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Have you SEEN American kids at work ?
I have harped at my own son that the cellphone MUST be turned off the minute you walk through that door to work.

Adults take the work seriously. They NEED this money to survive.
The kids..well this is just extra spending money and if there's a big party on Friday night..well they'll just call in sick on Saturday.

My son told me there are about 5 or 6 at his job that just gave their notice at work.
School is coming to an end and they want the summer off so they are quitting. These are college age kids. Some I can understand as they have to give up the dorms and have no place to live, but others just want to "hang out" for the summer with no responsibilities.

That's certainly a big change in attitude than when I was a teenager, even at 17-18. Once you took a job you kept it even over the summer.

Exactly.
So, as I just noted, the problem is really one of our own making.
Illegals, temporary workers and now under-employed American adults have simply filled the vacuum.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Exactly.
So, as I just noted, the problem is really one of our own making.
Illegals, temporary workers and now under-employed American adults have simply filled the vacuum.
Yes, we reap what we have sowed.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Because the employers, have tapped into a fairly dependable workforce, that usually has a few kids to feed and value the family unit with their catholic religion, which gives them values which make a great employee. They are so loyal they will take pennies on the dollar, so they don't have to struggle at $8 a day, working 12-14 hour days, south of the border.

It is not that it is something they don't want to do, it is now the employers choice to exploit them for the lowest wages possible.

It goes to the employer looking for dependable and responsible employees.
A teenage kid, or a responsible parent, both willing to take a low wage job... Who gets the job???
I agree 100%.

Hate to say it, but, maybe this lousy economy will shift people's perspectives and priorites a bit - at least enough for people to re-impress upon their kids the value of some job, any job, no matter how menial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies