Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Deal with it. Every generation has its own unique challenges. It seems as though many millenials - at least those here - have the challenge of blame. It is never up to them, it is always someone else's fault, advantage, and so forth.

Thank God I am a parent to children who do not whine. Just roll up their sleeves, so to speak, and go to work. Sorry, no millenial guilt here, nor any other kind of unearned guilt. Sleep like a baby at night, after a hard days work, knowing I did everything I could that day to demonstrate value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
BINGO!

That is why most of these idiotic course major's came into being; to lure those who probably shouldn't be taking up desk space in colleges and universities to continue on with an education they probably wouldn't have the ability to use anyway, given their potential.

The gradual dumbing down of education has resulted in those without the necessary dedication and ambition being able to "attend" purely to keep the cash flow coming into the coffers. Graduation comes to most like a deer caught in the headlights - totally unprepared for real life.

Nobodies fault but their own. The world has been sending out all the information they've needed to format a future for themselves but they remained cocooned in the womb's of their mommie's basement and those halls of learning.
So the courses that college students are taking are the reason for the extremely high unemployment wages? They're responsible for the low wages?

I fail to see the logic here.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Deal with it. Every generation has its own unique challenges. It seems as though many millenials - at least those here - have the challenge of blame. It is never up to them, it is always someone else's fault, advantage, and so forth.

Thank God I am a parent to children who do not whine. Just roll up their sleeves, so to speak, and go to work. Sorry, no millenial guilt here, nor any other kind of unearned guilt. Sleep like a baby at night, after a hard days work, knowing I did everything I could that day to demonstrate value.
And what happens if they can't find a job?

For the 3rd time. The unemployment/underemployment rate for those 25 and under is ABOVE 50%!!

In a time where the value of the dollar is at its lowest, I fail to see how this economic crisis is the result of Millenials "whining."

Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
They didn't have it easier. It's always been hard to get started in life, unless you get a juicy inheritance anyway.

The difference is boomers were willing to start at the bottom and work their way up. They had high expectations, but expected to start working for peanuts and living in a dump as they slogged their way up the ladder. Millenials say 'eff that and choose to live in their parent's basements and play for an extra decade instead.

Millenials seem to think they are entititled to their boomer parent's lifestyle from the outset and forget it took their parents 30 years or so of hard work to get where they are today.

For example,
My boomer parents lived in a roach motel when they first got married in their early 20's... my dad worked as a cook for years. When he moved up to manager, they bought their first home... a teenie-tiny 3 bed 1 bath cinderblock house on the edge of Phoenix AZ and continued to work their way up over the years. Now they live in a very nice 4500 sq foot mini-mansion that is all paid off, my dad owns a successful business and they are millionaires.

Here's an object lesson for why is is NOT impossible for Millenials to build lives at least as good as their boomer parents have:

I followed in mom and dad's footsteps... got married young, started working as a janitor and lived in a couple of cheapo crappy apartments before starting work in government and getting my first house. Now I'm in my second house, a very nice historic bungalow in a good part of town that I restored myself. I'm 34 now, have 3 kids ages 4-12, put myself through college, drive new cars and even though it's still hard, I truly do have a decent life. I did it all on my own too; mom and dad haven't paid for any of it!

Meanwhile, most of my friends played and partied through their 20's and are just getting married and/or having kids and trying to estabish their own households. They whine about how hard it is; some have lost their first houses through forclosures and are completely bogged down in debt.

I'm sick of them crying to me about it... they act all jealous about my life, think I'm lucky or maybe made a pact with the devil to be so comfy while they aren't. But the only real difference is that I started small and had a 10 year head-start on them (which turns out ot be a lot!), while they started late and tried to build a upscale lifestyle from scratch on credit.

While they were playing, I was working... and when they are still struggling with a young family in midlife, my kids will all be raised, my house paid off and I'll be in my prime income earning years. It's gonna be "nice".

Thank you mom and dad for not raising me stupid!

Last edited by Chango; 05-10-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Great post, Chango.

Let's read it again, shall we?

1) Boomers were willing to start at the bottom and work their way up.

2) Boomers were willing to start at the bottom and work their way up.

3) Boomers were willing to start at the bottom and work their way up.

THAT is why we don't like the whining. Whining gets you nowhere.

KUDOS to all the Millenials who just go out and do it and don't whine about Boomers because they hate their own parents.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
I had nothing- never expected riches....but raised four children who are now adults. I gave them NOTHING...If they want something out of life they have to get it themselves...If they are hungry- let them hunt down the prey and kill it - I did give them one thing- the same that my parents gave me- a code of behavior - that consisted of knowing the difference between right and wrong- I GAVE THEM ETHICS.....they will survive---they know one thing- Work grants results..honor - is paramount...They will do well .......no matter what part of history they reside in. Children have been born for thousands of years- all generations struggle.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
And what happens if they can't find a job?

For the 3rd time. The unemployment/underemployment rate for those 25 and under is ABOVE 50%!!

In a time where the value of the dollar is at its lowest, I fail to see how this economic crisis is the result of Millenials "whining."
When my DH and I got laid off the same month, we moved 1600 miles away for a job.

Yeah, my kid is a "Millenial". He lives in LA and whines about not being able to find a job.

I told him I would give him enough money to move to North Dakota and get settled there so he could find a job in the fracking industry since they need workers so bad. Nope. Didn't want to leave LA, didn't want to live in a cold climate, didn't want to work in manual labor (even though they get paid very well).

So, fine. Keep sleeping on your Dad's couch and whining about your plight, but you're not getting one red cent from me.

That goes for the rest of you whiny millenials too.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
When my DH and I got laid off the same month, we moved 1600 miles away for a job.

Yeah, my kid is a "Millenial". He lives in LA and whines about not being able to find a job.

I told him I would give him enough money to move to North Dakota and get settled there so he could find a job in the fracking industry since they need workers so bad. Nope. Didn't want to leave LA, didn't want to live in a cold climate, didn't want to work in manual labor (even though they get paid very well).

So, fine. Keep sleeping on your Dad's couch and whining about your plight, but you're not getting one red cent from me.

That goes for the rest of you whiny millenials too.
I own 2 businesses and do part time market research work.

The point I'm making is this. Our unemployment rates are signalling that we don't have enough jobs available for our population. Your missing the whole point that many Millenials are making.

And just because your son won't get off his ass and go take a job doesn't mean hundreds of other people my age wouldn't jump at the chance. You can't take your son's mindset and apply that to the entire Millenial population.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I had nothing- never expected riches....but raised four children who are now adults. I gave them NOTHING...If they want something out of life they have to get it themselves...If they are hungry- let them hunt down the prey and kill it - I did give them one thing- the same that my parents gave me- a code of behavior - that consisted of knowing the difference between right and wrong- I GAVE THEM ETHICS.....they will survive---they know one thing- Work grants results..honor - is paramount...They will do well .......no matter what part of history they reside in. Children have been born for thousands of years- all generations struggle.
Your missing the whole argument about the unemployment rate and devaluation of the dollar. If the working class is not making a living wage then the economy is bound to collapse. There are tons, TONS of social ills associated with abject poverty.

Your missing the big picture and only focusing on YOUR situation.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Again, we see more boomers who are simply out of touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies