Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
If you don't like smoke, go somewhere else.
what a concept.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
I can see the argument for those who believe smoking should still be allowed in bars, but theaters, planes & office buildings? Absolutely not...we have the right to not be assaulted by others' smoke in enclosed areas while living our everyday lives.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I hate the stench of cigarettes and find smoking to be a filthy, disgusting habit but..but I don't believe gub'mint should tell people what they can do in their own establishments. Set up a smoking area I can avoid or let me decide with my wallet, that's the free country thing to do.
You`re quite right about the filth and the stench and I would have more respect for the anti-smoking zealots if they would just admit that that`s what the bans are all about.
There seems to be a lot of crazy numbers thrown around about how many people die from second hand smoke but they can`t put a name on a single casualty.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You`re quite right about the filth and the stench and I would have more respect for the anti-smoking zealots if they would just admit that that`s what the bans are all about.
There seems to be a lot of crazy numbers thrown around about how many people die from second hand smoke but they can`t put a name on a single casualty.

I agree with you. I'm amazed at how many people will look at a study and take everything they're trying to push at face value. When will they realize that every study needs to be funded and those funding it have an agenda to meet.

It was proven in court all those many years ago through a study by the WHO that second hand smoke was bunk but organizations that stood to profit by the second hand smoke outcry ignored the findings and conducted their own studies.

The link I am providing is about gays and I'm not trying to bring those issues into this thread. I'm just trying to point out how numbers can be deceiving and people use them to prop up agendas.

In the link from a Canadian study it showed that gay men died an average of 8 to 20 years younger than straight men. I will assume the study was conducted to get more funding for AIDS research or something. But then when the anti gay parade moved in to try to use those numbers to say gay men cost the public more money in health care costs etc they denied their own numbers.
Gay life expectancy revisited

If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. But we the sheeple keep on falling for it.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
How could you say it 'mainly affects the perp"? Smoking effects everyone in the room then or after. It sticks around are recirculates in an air conditioned room. That is why it is different and why its banned. If you don't drink you can still go into a bar without drinking but you cannot go into a room where smoking has been going on and NOT be effected even if the smoker is long gone.

Second hand smoke is not friendly to bystadards, and especially with kids, its effects can be long lasting. Both my parents chain smoked. I ended up with 2/3 lung capacity from it, had severe breathing problems, and constant ear infections, all signs of exposure. The first bans on smoking were voluntary, and they'd split a room, but that didn't work. And smokers did not want to have to sit outside in the patio, so it just was banned.

It is a health issue, not a political one and while there are things others do which you may not like they don't effect your directly. Smoking does. The right to not be harmed by smokers supercedes the right of smokers to light up.
I really don't understand what's so hard about that viewpoint...

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I really don't understand what's so hard about that viewpoint...

Or the viewpoint that if an establishment caters to smokers that you have the right to spend your money elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Will there come a time when every package on a retailers shelf has to be printed on braille? Will every menu have to be printed in 13 different languages?

Do people really believe that EVERY establishment has to cater to EVERY one?

I don't go to an auto parts store to buy a T-Bone, do you?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I don't go to an auto parts store to buy a T-Bone, do you?
How does not being able to buy a T-Bone at an Auto Parts stores affect their health?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
How does not being able to buy a T-Bone at an Auto Parts stores affect their health?

It's all about density I guess.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
If you don't like smoke, go somewhere else.
I could take your posts more seriously if you didn't have that user name. In the Bible, it is written:

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

"But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

So I guess you feel that Paul wasn't speaking in the "Name of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies