Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I can understand people being angry with smokers who litter.

Note that smoking bans have increased cigarette butt litter. The removal of ashtrays forces smokers into the street and forces them to litter all over the place. Prohibitionist strategies result in the loss of any sort of control.
Or if they do have a place to dispose of your butts, it's those plastic receptacles that always end up catching fire. Which is why I extinguish mine on the ground first prior to throwing the butt in there.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I think someone was bullied A LOT as a child.

Or maybe he got beat up by a smoker?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I know.

I feel a little guilty about laughing at someone who obviously has some sort of emotional problem.

I don't usually laugh at the expense of others, but in his case, I'm thoroughly enjoying laughing at his misery.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Since I got COPD from smoking I can honestly say I don't miss it

Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If you watch films that predate the 90's, you can see that smoking was virtually allowed anyplace in America: planes, restaurants, bars, public buildings, offices, etc. Now this is almost impossible to find, except for some particular places. I think smoking gives men that macho attiude and makes women sexy. What do you think? If America doesn't have socialized healthcare, why should the Government (stateside, county, local) prevent its citziens to smoke wherever they want?
I think smoking is a great idea, with a couple of caveats, conditions and positive aspects:

1). It really helps Social Security, as smokers die younger.

2). I think it should be mandatory that smokers also drink alcohol at the same time, as it is a wonderful solvent for the carcinogens in the smoke, and helps #1.

3). If I have to be subjected to smoke, then I feel it is ok for me to mix chilled bleach and acetone in a public place.

4). Healthcare for illnesses caused by smoking should not be financially supported with any insurance or taxpayer money. It is a self-induced illness.

I'll gladly subsidize unfiltered Camels (and vodka), if the above 4 items are followed.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I think smoking is a great idea, with a couple of caveats, conditions and positive aspects:

4). Healthcare for illnesses caused by smoking should not be financially supported with any insurance or taxpayer money. It is a self-induced illness.
I feel the same way about jogging. We should not be forced to pay for all the knee and ankle surgeries that joggers incur. It is a self induced illness.

And people who choose to consume soft drinks. We should not have to pay for all the health problems caused by consuming sugar. It is a self induced illness.

And people who choose to work at stressful jobs. We should not be forced to pay for all the heart problems brought on by stress. It is a self induced illness.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
I love the smoking bans. I love not having to inhale secondary smoke and I love not having to launder my clothes after an evening out because they reek of someone else's smoke.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I feel the same way about jogging. We should not be forced to pay for all the knee and ankle surgeries that joggers incur. It is a self induced illness.

Absolutely agree.

And people who choose to consume soft drinks. We should not have to pay for all the health problems caused by consuming sugar. It is a self induced illness.

Absolutely agree.

And people who choose to work at stressful jobs. We should not be forced to pay for all the heart problems brought on by stress. It is a self induced illness.

It also potentially is what makes this country strong. (and stress can be managed).

We can go farther than that. People in high-risk hobbies, or drive recklessly, or a myriad of other stupid things should not be covered, or, their insurance premiums should reflect that risk, directly.
Personally, I wish they would put 60 mg of nicotine in every cigarette. The problem would be solved in short order.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Your point about stress is spot on. I found an article stating that Drs believe 60% to 90% of ALL illness is caused by stress. Now doesn't that mean that only 10% to 40% are caused by smoking?

Take It Easy: 12 Ways to Kill Stress Before Stress Kills You!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Personally, I wish they would put 60 mg of nicotine in every cigarette. The problem would be solved in short order.

Now there's a sparkely idea. Wishing others would die is a great way to manage stress. I'm glad you found a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies