Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Taxing the rich is not punishing them at all. If they make a million a year and pay 50% in taxes, they still go home with $500K which is a lot more than the other 95% of us go home with.
I never said taxing the rich is punishing them. Read what I wrote.

I was talking about the motivations of the tax increase. For some people the motivation is just to make rich people earn less, and nothing else. Their motivation is to punish them.

For other people like me, if I want a tax increase on the rich it is because I believe it will benefit the citizens of the country. I have no hatred for the rich. I don't think people should base their policies on hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
You may want to look at European health care systems, all of which mix private and public provisions.
I agree.

Universal Healthcare in places such as France are run by the private sector, whilst a high percentage of hospital beds in Germany are provided by the private sector.

In terms of the British NHS, it has an increasingly high input from the private sector, whilst major teaching hospitals are seen as amongst the best in the world.

The Italians have the system most liker the British one, and there healthcare is usually rated as very good.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Oh and while I am at it. The UK Economy is currently taking austerity measures as it's trying to generate investent through the private sector by trying to maintain stability coupled with some tax cuts such as the recent cut of top level tax from 45% to 50%.

A stable pound, coupled with cuts in spending and cuts to some taxes, is having positve results in the UK and is far better in my opinion than embarking on further borrowing, keynesian style big state spending and as a consequence higher taxes, which is what the French are proposing. Private investors and big business prefer stable economic conditions and lower taxes,and the UK is in a prime position to attract further investment and jobs.

There have recently been very positive moves from the private sector, big business and investors, who seem to prefer the UK's stable currency and taxes to what is occuring in a lot of the rest of Europe.

BBC News - Vauxhall's Ellesmere Port plant to build new Astra

£1 billion investment in the UK automotive supply chain | Official CIPS Magazine

General Motors' decision shows the benefit of business - Telegraph

BBC News - Nissan to build new car in Sunderland

BBC News - Honda creates 500 jobs at Swindon plant

BBC News - Toyota announces 1,500 new jobs for Burnaston factory

Jaguar Land Rover to expand Merseyside plant and add 1,500 jobs - Telegraph

BBC News - Wolverhampton Jaguar Land Rover plant approved

BMW to invest £500m in UK to build next-generation Minis - Telegraph

Ford £1.5 billion investment signed off | Business Weekly | Technology | Biotechnology | Business news | Cambridge and the East of England-

Bentley leads convoy for mini-recovery in UK car production | Business | The Guardian

BBC News - David Cameron: Airbus investment shows 'confidence'

GlaxoSmithKline to create up to 1,000 jobs in Cumbria and Scotland | Business | The Guardian

BBC News - Blast furnace at former Corus Redcar steel plant relit

Aon moves HQ to London in boost for UK economy - Telegraph

Aviva to cut 950 jobs in Ireland after moving HQ back to London - Telegraph

UBS finalises London HQ deal

Health Insurance - PMI - Cigna to relocate international Health, Life & Accident business to London

Google moves UK headquarters to King

The World?s Biggest Advertising Company Is MovIng Its HQ From Dublin To London - Business Insider

Jimmy Choo Move to London HQ

Small firms in the UK buck the recession | News | TechRadar

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-18-2012 at 03:51 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 AM

UK high quality luxury goods are also continuning to weather the recession with new markets such as China rapidly emerging.

UK manufacturing skills a lure for luxury brands | Reuters

Why luxury goods are now central to our economy - News - Evening Standard

London's China economy - London Life - Life & Style - Evening Standard

UK stores boosted by Chinese shoppers - Telegraph

Britain has also seen a lot of investment in hi-tech industry in recent decades, with areas including information and communication technology, defence, aerospace pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, fuel cells, plastic electronics, aerospace, nanotechnology, IT and software.

Britain's hi-tech escape route from recession - Telegraph

Hi-tech manufacturing booms for now but economic uncertainty clouds outlook - Business News - Business - The Independent

Budget underlines govt's high tech manufacturing hopes

The West Midlands: the driving force of hi-tech Britain | Heart of enterprise | guardian.co.uk

Euro crisis: What might Britain's economy be like in 2036? - Telegraph

Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Well Ireland's austerity is working well for Australia and New Zealand with well trained experienced professionals leaving Ireland for Aus. or NZ.
It will be interesting if the USA goes down the path of harsh austerity, it will give us a lot of liberal professionals to pick and choose from.
Sorry conservatives who are of course religious; would not be comfortable in countries where the majority non-religion is being a heathen who spends Sundays fishing instead of being on our knees.
Clueless.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:23 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I agree.

Universal Healthcare in places such as France are run by the private sector, whilst a high percentage of hospital beds in Germany are provided by the private sector.

In terms of the British NHS, it has an increasingly high input from the private sector, whilst major teaching hospitals are seen as amongst the best in the world.

The Italians have the system most liker the British one, and there healthcare is usually rated as very good.
Universal healthcare is a fine thing. I would approve of a logical plan, but obamacare is NOT it. First and foremost the people should have an OPTION whether to buy or not. Secondly, we cannot and SHOULD not offer it to illegal immigrants. It will put a HUGE burden on our budget that we cannot sustain.

There are plenty of things that could have been done to improve and reduce the cost of healthcare in the US...but obama wanted to leave a legacy, and that was more important than doing what is RIGHT for this country in his eyes.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I was referring to the crisis between 1999 and 2002.

Yeah, IMF to the rescue, with their Americanized, K-Street, Wall Street solution to everything: cut, cut, and cut.

In theory, cutting the budgets was supposed to help Argentina balance its budget. But every time they cut the budget, the cut jobs, which meant that there was tax less revenue going to the treasury.

The point is, if you're going to cut, you cut when the private sector capital markets are strong, not when they're weak. If you cut when they're weak, you'll end up making the budget problems worse. And that's exactly what they did. The budget problems were never resolved through cuts; in fact, they might have been worsened. If people think that cutting Obama's spending is going to shrink the deficit now, they're sorely mistaken. Economics doesn't work like that.
Because Argentina froze the peoples money. That is why no jobs were created. The same mistake FDR did in late 36 early 37 that caused a depression with a depression. You do not recover when you limit the availability of the current money supply to the people. You don't expand the money supply. you don't contract it, you make it available.
"Specifically, cash withdrawals from banks were to be limited to $250 per depositor per week for the next ninety days, and all overseas cash transfers exceeding $1,000 were to be strictly regulated. Anyone attempting to carry cash out of the country by ship or by plane was to be interdicted. "

Confiscatory deflation dealt a severe blow to cash businesses and, according to one report, "brought retail trade to a standstill."

Savings accounts above $3,000 were frozen for a year. That was 1/3 of the deposits in the banking system.
If you had less than $5,000 you would be able to withdraw their cash in twelve monthly installments in one year. Over that they would not be able to begin cashing out until September 2003, and then only in installments spread over two years.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Universal healthcare is a fine thing. I would approve of a logical plan, but obamacare is NOT it. First and foremost the people should have an OPTION whether to buy or not. Secondly, we cannot and SHOULD not offer it to illegal immigrants. It will put a HUGE burden on our budget that we cannot sustain.

There are plenty of things that could have been done to improve and reduce the cost of healthcare in the US...but obama wanted to leave a legacy, and that was more important than doing what is RIGHT for this country in his eyes.
It is simple, stop treating people in hospitals who niether have the money or insurance, just let them die.
That would wake people up to the fact that the US needs a better system.
Rather shameful that one of our doctors goes to the USA to do charity clinics, only third world countries should need that

Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
How's austerity working in Europe?

Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post

I agree re Obamacare. It is a complete mess and disaster. You cannot half ass something like healthcare. I do NOT agree that people should be given the "option" of buying or not. Healthcare should be universal and tax supported. People cannot "opt out" of getting cancer, having a heart event or getting hit by car. Crap happens. And when it does, the rest of us should not have to fork over for their care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies