Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times

Advertisements

Why would a church would even care if it's legal for homosexual couples to get a marriage certificate?

No really, I have yet to see a valid argument for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Ah, I see. Well TBH I agree with posts #264 and #265. If we are going to use animal models as a defence for homosexual behavior we should at least be using Primates. Birds??? Lets get real. In none of your primate species is homosexual behavior equated with opposite sex behavior. In all cases it is subordinate. As it is, and always has been, in human society. In Europe secular marriage includes same sex marriage. That is what we are working towards in America. America, however, is not a secular country. Neither are many gay people. Because of my work I can say with some authority that the majority of gay people that are the most strenuous advocates of marriage equality are also the most strenuous advocates of traditional marriage equality. In America that means institutional (religious) marriage. Religious institutions will find themselves defending opposite sex marriage when and if it becomes widespread as a secular practice. One of two things can happen: marriage will simply mean the conjoining of any two (more) adults in a committed, loving, union OR it will continue to mean the joining of one man and one woman in a committed, loving, union. There isn't any in-between. The current stalemate with "lesser" unions recognized between same sex individuals is the standard worldwide. Even in Europe. If that changes the impact will be profound. To attempt to argue that it will have no consequence at all for the "dominant" pairings of men and women is to simply be naive or disingenuous.

H

Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
If you are passing laws based on a religion's beliefs, you are using force. Every other person in the country but me could be Christian, and it would still be wrong for them to pass laws that force me to follow their beliefs. When it comes to civil rights, who has the majority shouldn't matter.
It always matters, always has and always will. If you don't believe that wait until the election. If you don't like who gets into office, too bad, they will have rules you do not like but you will need to live with them.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Joe knows he's attracted to men, doesn't act on it, and tries to pray the gay away. He ends up being a priest.

We all know what happens now.
I thought it was said just because someone is a homosexual does not mean they are a pedophile? I don't think they are pedophiles.

If Joe became a priest just because of that he would probably not get very far in the seminary if it was suspected that was his motive to be celibate. He would need to have a calling for that vocation. It's hard to become a priest, it's not like joining a club.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Hammertime (or however you spell it) has been forthcoming and has time and again provided what rights and opportunities homosexual couples don't have when compared to heterosexual couples. So yes, someone did tell you.

Nice try though. This is a civil rights issue.
Many black people would be insulted by that statement.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:48 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many black people would be insulted by that statement.
Huh, why would blacks be insulted? They fought for years to get equal rights, and so did women....Why do you think this is any different?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Then prove this 'reality' of yours exists. Post or link statistics, links, reports, factual data that lends credence to your claim here.

Otherwise it's not fact, but a very bigoted and very ignorant opinion that you're spouting...just as you have been this entire thread.
That's a lot of homework you gave me. You need to do the same work you ask me to do.

Just because I can't make this a book report does not mean things are not a fact. Look at the voting going on in the states. Look it up, do some of that work yourself.

P.S. Note, you are the one calling names, I haven't done any name calling. If you can't debate without name calling then maybe your argument can't be that strong. People always result to that when they can't prove things.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Huh, why would blacks be insulted? They fought for years to get equal rights, and so did women....Why do you think this is any different?

From what I have heard them say they don't agree since they could never "hide" what they are. They can never hide the fact of skin color, gays can hide and don't need to be blocked from going anyplace they want or be blocked from most things they want to do.

If you want to know more you will need to look it up. I already have a big homework assignment from another poster. I hope you don't give me more.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of rights and privileges that homosexuals don't have that heterosexuals do. Forsaking the rights of a group of people because they don't meet a certain criteria is not only discrimination and segregation, it's also unconstitutional. Why do you not understand this?

It is first and foremost a civil rights issue.

People can make that argument for all kinds of things people want to do but can't. Next up will be polygamy. It's being talked about now. They are next in line.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
People can make that argument for all kinds of things people want to do but can't. Next up will be polygamy. It's being talked about now. They are next in line.
Could be, but that would really upset you, right.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
Quote:
It always matters, always has and always will. If you don't believe that wait until the election. If you don't like who gets into office, too bad, they will have rules you do not like but you will need to live with them.
So then you agree that it is correct and moral to use force to make others obey your religion? You're correct in that this has been a practice of the Church throughout history, but that hardly makes it acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.