Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,791 times

Advertisements

Controversy erupted at a Colorado elementary school after a student arrived in blackface as part of a Martin Luther King Jr. costume for a class project.

Second-grader Sean King was asked to remove the makeup by officials at Meridian Ranch Elementary chool in Colorado Springs Wednesday, reported KRDO-TV.

"Each student in the class had been assigned a historical figure to dress up as for “wax museum day” at the school, the station reported."

"Sean's mother, Michelle King-Roca, told Denver’s 7News her son was really excited about the project."

"He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that's what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,'" said King-Roca."

"After complaints from a faculty member that took issue with the blackface, the principal asked Sean to remove the face paint orleave the school."

Read more: Second-grader Sean King gets in trouble for dressing in blackface as tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.* - NY Daily News

Now, this baffles me. This child was asked to dress up as Martin Luther King, a black person, so when he carefully puts together a detailed costume including facial make up and mustache, he gets in trouble and told to wash it off or go home? What is going on? When my child was in kindergarten, they were given special light to dark "skintone" crayons and were required to color the skin of all people, which I thought was interesting. Now, when these kids are asked to dress up as a person of a different race, they are supposed to ignore the skintone? Poor kids today. We are passing on our own neurosis. I hope the parents don't send this little boy who was shamed for putting forth his best effort with absolutely no malice, back to the public schools. Too crazy.

What do others think? Anybody agree with the school's decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Future tea partier

Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Maybe it's time to start moving back to Puerto Rico. At least 99% of us are the same down there and doesn't suffer from the race disease that plagues the 50 states. We finished our debates on race in the early 20th century, time for the mainlanders to move on already

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post

Controversy erupted at a Colorado elementary school after a student arrived in blackface as part of a Martin Luther King Jr. costume for a class project.

Second-grader Sean King was asked to remove the makeup by officials at Meridian Ranch Elementary chool in Colorado Springs Wednesday, reported KRDO-TV.

"Each student in the class had been assigned a historical figure to dress up as for “wax museum day” at the school, the station reported."

"Sean's mother, Michelle King-Roca, told Denver’s 7News her son was really excited about the project."

"He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that's what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,'" said King-Roca."

"After complaints from a faculty member that took issue with the blackface, the principal asked Sean to remove the face paint orleave the school."

Read more: Second-grader Sean King gets in trouble for dressing in blackface as tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.* - NY Daily News

Now, this baffles me. This child was asked to dress up as Martin Luther King, a black person, so when he carefully puts together a detailed costume including facial make up and mustache, he gets in trouble and told to wash it off or go home? What is going on? When my child was in kindergarten, they were given special light to dark "skintone" crayons and were required to color the skin of all people, which I thought was interesting. Now, when these kids are asked to dress up as a person of a different race, they are supposed to ignore the skintone? Poor kids today. We are passing on our own neurosis. I hope the parents don't send this little boy who was shamed for putting forth his best effort with absolutely no malice, back to the public schools. Too crazy.

What do others think? Anybody agree with the school's decision?
There's a big difference between coloring in a picture and putting on "black face?" I don't understand people's insistence on OTHER people not being offended by things that they know are offensive.

I'm not going to walk into a room, fart in someone's face, and then act surprised if someone gets offended by it. You have the freedom to express yourself however you want, but don't act like that makes your expression immune to being judged.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Well liberals say babies are racist so he's fair game.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
There's a big difference between coloring in a picture and putting on "black face?" I don't understand people's insistence on OTHER people not being offended by things that they know are offensive.

I'm not going to walk into a room, fart in someone's face, and then act surprised if someone gets offended by it. You have the freedom to express yourself however you want, but don't act like that makes your expression immune to being judged.
Didn't Dr. King say something about dreaming of a day when people were "judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Cries of racism are nothing but a social shield used a diversion to direct attention away from major "internal" problems...

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Back in the day, I did blackface as Hank Aaron for "dress like your hero day" in middle school. It was well received. That was before political correctness affirmed the pansiness of the masses.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Didn't Dr. King say something about dreaming of a day when people were "judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"?
Yes he did, but that nothing to do w/ what we're talking about. We're talking about people being surprised that a known offensive quantity offended some people.

It's the parents fault for letting the kid out in that make up, and rather than take the time to explain sympathy, those parents decided to shield their kid from reality.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
The right wing has a new hero, and it's a 2nd grader, move over Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies