Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Controversy erupted at a Colorado elementary school after a student arrived in blackface as part of a Martin Luther King Jr. costume for a class project.

Second-grader Sean King was asked to remove the makeup by officials at Meridian Ranch Elementary chool in Colorado Springs Wednesday, reported KRDO-TV.

"Each student in the class had been assigned a historical figure to dress up as for “wax museum day” at the school, the station reported."

"Sean's mother, Michelle King-Roca, told Denver’s 7News her son was really excited about the project."

"He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that's what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,'" said King-Roca."

"After complaints from a faculty member that took issue with the blackface, the principal asked Sean to remove the face paint orleave the school."

Read more: Second-grader Sean King gets in trouble for dressing in blackface as tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.* - NY Daily News

Now, this baffles me. This child was asked to dress up as Martin Luther King, a black person, so when he carefully puts together a detailed costume including facial make up and mustache, he gets in trouble and told to wash it off or go home? What is going on? When my child was in kindergarten, they were given special light to dark "skin tone" crayons and were required to color the skin of all people, which I thought was interesting. Now, when these kids are asked to dress up as a person of a different race, they are supposed to ignore the skintone? Poor kids today. We are passing on our own neurosis. I hope the parents don't send this little boy who was shamed for putting forth his best effort with absolutely no malice, back to the public schools. Too crazy.

What do others think? Anybody agree with the school's decision?

That's right!

And let this be a lesson to you Sean King.

What you did was an expression of common sense.

Any other rational person would have also worn the same type of clothes and attempted to replicate shin tone and hair to resemble that of Dr. King per the assignment, but you attend public school where rational thought and common sense are obvious signs of racial intolerance.

Get with the program Sean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Hmmm, I thought that my previous comment was written in English.

Again, its 2nd grade and not a Broadway production. That child's parents should have known better.
And you still haven't answered the question. Are you trying to say the child's parents "should have known better" than to portray MLK as a black man? Should MLK have been portrayed as a white man?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
This is Al Jolson. Was he a racist or a supporter of equal rights?

Mammy - Al Jolson (Jazz Singer performance) - YouTube

There is no reason to be offended by an impersonation, unless you are ashamed of being black, and that would be ridiculous.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM

191 posts, read 242,469 times
Quote:
And you still haven't answered the question. Are you trying to say the child's parents "should have known better" than to portray MLK as a black man? Should MLK have been portrayed as a white man?
Hmm... Black girls dress up like Marilyn Monroe......without 'whiteface'.

I want to know if the kid picked MLK and why is the school assigning a big project when school is almost out?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Ask me why am I not surprised
Why was i thinking the same thing

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
He was supposed to "dress up" as MLK. Being "black" is a defining feature to recognize the man by. If his skin was white, he wore a black suit and had just that mustache, he may have been mistaken for Hitler!

I understand that someone painting their face black, tap dancing, eating watermelon and speakin' jive would be offensive - a caricature of "a" black person. But, this was an attempt at an accurate, respectful portrayal of an historical figure who was...black. If ithis s truly offensive, I don't get it, but the school needs to stop these assignments. Its not fair to the kids who get a person of a different race to try and realistically portray them without being able to display their skin color.
No. He was supposed to portray MLK, and you don't need to match every detail in order to portray. Whatever extent he wants to go through to sell that portrayal is a judgment call that should weigh the benefit against any potential harm. Allowing your 2nd grader to dress in blackface, regardless if he's aware of its sensitive nature, is poor judgment from his parents.

Case in point. I was Abraham Lincoln for a class project in 3rd grade. I made a crappy stove pipe hat out of construction paper and wore a black tie. That's it. I didn't need to powder up my face or glue a fake beard on.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Why are people playing ignorant about the offensive nature of blackface? Why are non-Blacks the authority on what Blacks find offensive? Is it not enough that we tell you we are?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This is Al Jolson. Was he a racist or a supporter of equal rights?

There is no reason to be offended by an impersonation, unless you are ashamed of being black, and that would be ridiculous.
Another ignorant comment.

The use of blackface was also paired with stereotypical and derogatory mocking portrayals of Black Americans from the pre and post Civil War era. It was NOT a form of flattery or admiration by any stretch of the imagination. Obviously, you purposely skipped over the real explanations of the offensiveness of blackface in your search for a YouTube clip.

It has nothing to do with not being proud of our heritage. Blackface is not "our" heritage.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
The bigger question is....why are black people offended by blackface? Do you also hate white-faced clowns?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

744 posts, read 811,759 times
I'm sure the kid meant well but you can tell his parents are racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies