Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What exactly aren't you getting that you want? You have more than equal opportunity, the carpet has been laid for you. You are given every opportunity to succeed, and as a whole, you flush it. That's not our problem, look within.
What do you mean “What exactly aren't you getting that you want?”. I don’t want or need anything from anybody. I was never given anything nor was any carpet laid out for me and the only thing I flush is crap. I’m where I want to be in life…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How does what this young boy did deteriate freedom and equality? If you missed my point of quoting Dr. King - I will explain. The 2nd grader is being judged by "the color of his skin" not by the "content of his character". I dare you to insinuate that he had any nefarious motive for trying to be authentic. Read the story - the kid was truly excited - and he felt that he was paying proper tribute to a great man. The only people I see who are offended are either way too sensitive and can't see the beauty in what the 2nd grader was trying to do - or are people who see everything through a racial lens - those people are the obstacles to Dr, King's dream becoming a reality.
What the young boy did doesn’t deteriorate freedom or equality. It was stated multiple times that he probably didn’t understand the reason why white folk don’t portray black folk with makeup. His parents were the foolish ones.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've read the entire thread....not a single black forum poster can articulate why "blackface" is offensive. Not one single person.

You should step back and ask yourself...."Am I offended because someone told me to be offended....or am I really offended?" If the answer pertains to the latter, then you should answer the question for the multitudes of us on this thread who have asked for an articulated response.

At this point, we can only assume that you're offended because you're black and you've been conditioned to be offended at everything that can be remotely perceived to be offensive to black people, even it's not offensive at all.

The impetus is on you to explain your contrarian viewpoint.

Cotton and Chick Watts Blackface Comedy Routine - YouTube

1950 Blackface Performance: Vernon & Ryan - YouTube

Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What do you mean “What exactly aren't you getting that you want?”. I don’t want or need anything from anybody. I was never given anything nor was any carpet laid out for me and the only thing I flush is crap. I’m where I want to be in life…
I was referring to post 124 where you said you are still waiting for freedom and equality. So I'm asking in what respect are you not free or equal?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I was referring to post 124 where you said you are still waiting for freedom and equality. So I'm asking in what respect are you not free or equal?
Ok. What I mint is in American society things aren’t equal as of 2012. Racism is still alive and well in our society. For example the legal system, employment and access to goods & services all have room for improvement. It’s not 1960 where black folk were getting sprayed down with fire hoses but it’s also not even Steven…

Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Wasn't black face from the vaudeville era through the 50's or something. I know not to do it and I remember explaining to my kids about it. But these younger kids are so far removed, perhaps it's time to rethink it. Sure most of us older folks are horrified, but maybe sometime in the not so distant future it might be time to revisit it. I think it was the exaggerations that made it so wrong. Without those, shading your face one way or another shouldn't be harmful. It could even be used to see that being another color is okay. I wouldn't have let my kid do it, but things may change with younger generations.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Ok. What I mint is in American society things aren’t equal as of 2012. Racism is still alive and well in our society. For example the legal system, employment and access to goods & services all have room for improvement. It’s not 1960 where black folk were getting sprayed down with fire hoses but it’s also not even Steven…
Trust me, we would love for you to be treated equal, but I don't think you'd like that.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Wasn't black face from the vaudeville era through the 50's or something. I know not to do it and I remember explaining to my kids about it. But these younger kids are so far removed, perhaps it's time to rethink it. Sure most of us older folks are horrified, but maybe sometime in the not so distant future it might be time to revisit it. I think it was the exaggerations that made it so wrong. Without those, shading your face one way or another shouldn't be harmful. It could even be used to see that being another color is okay. I wouldn't have let my kid do it, but things may change with younger generations.
I just watched a stage full of blackfaces singing and dancing to Dixie. They were generally black songs of the south, and it was entertaining. The whole audience sang along. It was not mocking at all. As I understand it, blacks were not allowed onstage until later, so the whites did their music and dance routines in blackface. It wasn't to ridicule. The music and dance was wonderful, everyone enjoyed it. I think you are being taught something that wasn't there.
It's a shame you have lost the ability to dance, and to see what a great country this once was.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Those people in Stockholm must have some type of syndrome to think it was ok to have a cake designed as a black person. And I believe the cultural minister was involved too…
You and I are not on the same page and I don't know what cake you are talking about.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I just watched a stage full of blackfaces singing and dancing to Dixie. They were generally black songs of the south, and it was entertaining. The whole audience sang along. It was not mocking at all. As I understand it, blacks were not allowed onstage until later, so the whites did their music and dance routines in blackface. It wasn't to ridicule. The music and dance was wonderful, everyone enjoyed it. I think you are being taught something that wasn't there.
It's a shame you have lost the ability to dance, and to see what a great country this once was.
Why am I not surprised you enjoyed a blackface show. Do you also feel cross-burning represents Christ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies