Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The fact of the matter is that you are ignorant of the roots of the issue of blackface, so your opinions carry very little weight.
I've read the entire thread....not a single black forum poster can articulate why "blackface" is offensive. Not one single person.

You should step back and ask yourself...."Am I offended because someone told me to be offended....or am I really offended?" If the answer pertains to the latter, then you should answer the question for the multitudes of us on this thread who have asked for an articulated response.

At this point, we can only assume that you're offended because you're black and you've been conditioned to be offended at everything that can be remotely perceived to be offensive to black people, even it's not offensive at all.

The impetus is on you to explain your contrarian viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
The following picture is not offensive because Eminem did not paint his face black, right?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The majority of the posters are NOT blaming this poor child. We blame his parents who know better.
Yeah, well, I'm blaming anyone who remembers/knows of a time in which blackface was inherently offensive and uses that to insist it's offensive in the ways it's used now. Today's children are completely innocent when it comes to the original use of blackface. Why rob them of a clean slate by reinstating obsolete meanings? Dwelling on a part of the past that is otherwise irrelevant... with the only exception being: You decide you want to associate this with something no one else is associating it with. Particularly the children.

Do you not want us as a nation to move forward?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Didn't Dr. King say something about dreaming of a day when people were "judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"?
Yes he did. He also said, “The sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality.†And to this day we're still waiting...

Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yeah, well, I'm blaming anyone who remembers/knows of a time in which blackface was inherently offensive and uses that to insist it's offensive in the ways it's used now. Today's children are completely innocent when it comes to the original use of blackface. Why rob them of a clean slate by reinstating obsolete meanings? Dwelling on a part of the past that is otherwise irrelevant... with the only exception being: You decide you want to associate this with something no one else is associating it with. Particularly the children.

Do you not want us as a nation to move forward?
Moving forward involves not repeating the mistakes of the past. So in the words of Rev. Lowery during the Inauguration benediction of our great president.

“Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man and when white will embrace what is right.â€

Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
I would not be mad at the child for this. The boy probably had no idea the history and significance of black face.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Moving forward involves not repeating the mistakes of the past. So in the words of Rev. Lowery during the Inauguration benediction of our great president.

“Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man and when white will embrace what is right.â€

What exactly aren't you getting that you want? You have more than equal opportunity, the carpet has been laid for you. You are given every opportunity to succeed, and as a whole, you flush it. That's not our problem, look within.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
I would not be mad at the child for this. The boy probably had no idea the history and significance of black face.
Neither did I. I watched Little Rascals growing up. Can you enlighten me as to what people did that was so horrible? Did Aunt Jemima offend you too?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes he did. He also said, “The sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality.” And to this day we're still waiting...
How does what this young boy did deteriate freedom and equality? If you missed my point of quoting Dr. King - I will explain. The 2nd grader is being judged by "the color of his skin" not by the "content of his character". I dare you to insinuate that he had any nefarious motive for trying to be authentic. Read the story - the kid was truly excited - and he felt that he was paying proper tribute to a great man. The only people I see who are offended are either way too sensitive and can't see the beauty in what the 2nd grader was trying to do - or are people who see everything through a racial lens - those people are the obstacles to Dr, King's dream becoming a reality.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've read the entire thread....not a single black forum poster can articulate why "blackface" is offensive. Not one single person.

You should step back and ask yourself...."Am I offended because someone told me to be offended....or am I really offended?" If the answer pertains to the latter, then you should answer the question for the multitudes of us on this thread who have asked for an articulated response.

At this point, we can only assume that you're offended because you're black and you've been conditioned to be offended at everything that can be remotely perceived to be offensive to black people, even it's not offensive at all.

The impetus is on you to explain your contrarian viewpoint.
I’ll play dumb and believe you can’t understand the reason why Blackface is offensive to blacks. You might not know too many black people nor have studied African American history in any of the schools you’ve attended throughout your life. Even after the multiple posts in this thread explaining why this activity is unacceptable I’ll think you must just have misunderstood them.

To start blackface is a stereotyped caricature of black people. It was never all fun and games. It was a way for the racist in our society to justify their own self-worth. These racist and stereotypical images proliferated negative and inaccurate images throughout western European society and caused great harm in our image worldwide. Today blackface is seldom seen but when it presents its ugly head it still epitomizes some of the worst attitudes in our society. Most people know the history around these actions and avoid it altogether. But there is a small ignorant group of people who don’t understand or don’t care because god didn’t bless them with intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies