Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It has always been between one man and one woman.

Sorry.
Wrong.
It has been between one man and several women. Still is in some cultures.
It has been between one man and one woman of the same race.
It has been between one man and one woman of the same religion.
It has been between one man and one man. Ancient China (Fujian Provence), Egypt (Swia), Rome.

In medieval France there was a ceremony called affrèrement. A union that legalized two males in the same way of opposite sexed couples.

In America there is a long tradition of same sex marriages in Native American tribes. The two spirit people.

Marriage in several countries, and several U S states is currently between any two, consenting, non related adults.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Marriage is between one man and one woman, regardless of race, religion and ethnicity.

Changing the definition of marriage is NOT a "right".
Read my post again.

Marriage is a right. Period. Though I notice you don't bother correcting those who falsely claim such, instead whining about posts (such as mine) which correct them. And given that, the onus is on the government to justify why it should not allow certain marriages between certain pairings of consenting adults. Lately, the government is largely failing to do so.

Many marriages, such as mine, are between a man and a woman. And hundreds of thousands of marriages in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, California, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York and the District of Columbia are between two men and two women, respectively.

The fact that you don't like this doesn't mean those same-sex couples aren't married.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Read my post again.

Marriage is a right. Period. Though I notice you don't bother correcting those who falsely claim such, instead whining about posts (such as mine) which correct them. And given that, the onus is on the government to justify why it should not allow certain marriages between certain pairings of consenting adults. Lately, the government is largely failing to do so.

Many marriages, such as mine, are between a man and a woman. And hundreds of thousands of marriages in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, California, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York and the District of Columbia are between two men and two women, respectively.

The fact that you don't like this doesn't mean those same-sex couples aren't married.
Same sex marriage is not a "right". and there are NOT "hundreds of thousands" of same sex marriages.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Same sex marriage is not a "right". and there are NOT "hundreds of thousands" of same sex marriages.
Marriage is a right and the fact that it is being denied to homosexuals across the US is unconstitutional and goes against the 14th amendment.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Marriage is a right and the fact that it is being denied to homosexuals across the US is unconstitutional and goes against the 14th amendment.
Gays marrying are not being discriminated against. In fact, many gays marry legally.

Same sex marriage is not a "right".

Suppose we change it, and two straight men wish to marry for health benefits reasons. What now?

How do you prove that you're gay?

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You don't understand the Constitution.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You don't understand the Constitution.
I understand it more than someone who wants to deny a group of people equal rights and liberties provided to them under said document.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I understand it more than someone who wants to deny a group of people equal rights and liberties provided to them under said document.
If the 14th REALLY protected changing the definition of marriage, it would be the law of the land.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Gays marrying are not being discriminated against. In fact, many gays marry legally.
They can't marry the person they love - that being of the same sex - legally. That's discrimination and is against the 14th Amendment.

Quote:
Same sex marriage is not a "right".
Yes it is. It's being denied thus goes against the 14th amendment. We just went over this.

Quote:
Suppose we change it, and two straight men wish to marry for health benefits reasons. What now?
Right back at you - a drunken man and woman get married at a 5 minute drive-thru marriage place in Las Vegas because they're drunk. What now?

Quote:
How do you prove that you're gay?
How do you prove that you're straight?

Quote:
This is just the tip of the iceberg.
So?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
If the 14th REALLY protected changing the definition of marriage, it would be the law of the land.
It protects people from being discriminated against - which apparently you're blind to if you don't realize that denying homosexuals the right to marry each other is discrimination.

You don't like homosexuals, therefore you feel you have the right to deny them the ability to get married to one another. Stop pushing your agenda onto other people and realize that you're going against the 14th amendment with your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies