Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:25 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Read about that yesterday.

And people are complaining about 'FOMG PR MOVE PANDERING ETC ETC" even though both characters have been gay since the 90s.
IIRC, Northstar came out after the death of Joanne. That would be... (oh wow, this makes me feel old) 20 years ago. Though, for the life of me, I can't remember when Northstar/Kyle started as a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Comics have always been topical. Just look at the entire Marvel civil war story line.....

I personally feel that the whole gay thing is just being topical instead of pandering.

They've touched on everything from spousal abuse, molesters, various phobias, mental illness and so on and so forth.

Pretty much.

I hope they make Batman gay.

Just to see the backlash.

Even though it's impossible to retcon him as gay, because then you have to take cute little sociopathic Damian out of the picture.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
Don't think he's gay. But I always did wonder why he just stood there while they were firing bullets at him but then when they threw the gun he'd duck. Those bad guys must have had really powerful throwing arms

Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
I didn't read the Batman comic books but I've heard that there was no Aunt Harriet there, that she was put there in the TV series so Batman and Robin wouldn't look gay.

Great TV series by the way if you understand that's it's supposed to be cheesy. My favorite char is Officer O'Hara

Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I didn't read the Batman comic books but I've heard that there was no Aunt Harriet there, that she was put there in the TV series so Batman and Robin wouldn't look gay.

Great TV series by the way if you understand that's it's supposed to be cheesy. My favorite char is Officer O'Hara
In the comics Batman has hooked up with many women, most notably Selina Kyle (Catwoman) and Talia Al Ghul (which resulted in his son and the...6th(?) Robin, Damian Wayne).

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Its a sad marketing hook to try to generate some reader interest. But I remember watching the old Justice League cartoons and always thinking that something about Wonder Woman was just different. She was always so aloof and kind of cold.
The original TV series Batman and Robin.... 'nuff said. Although less Batman than Robin. Actually Adam West will always be THE Batman, IMO.
If they wanted to make somebody gay they could have any number of Villains to choose from. The Joker, The Riddler, The Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy lex Luthor. Toyman, especially Toyman.
Jimmy Olson always seemed kind of gay. I think the actor from the series was gay. And who can say that the original Lois Lane did not come across as gay? She was always very cold and critical to Clark Kent, even mean to him.
If you think about it, practically none of these characters showed much sexuality, heterosexual or otherwise. And it had practically zero influence on their popularity. It makes the whole issue of making one gay seem completely irrelevant, huh?
Funny you say that, because the actor who played "The Joker" in the Batman TV seroes (Caeser Romero) was one of the biggest queens in '40's Hollywood. The actor who played Jimmy Olson in the Superman TV show (I forget his name) was also gay. It wasn't just acting.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Funny you say that, because the actor who played "The Joker" in the Batman TV seroes (Caeser Romero) was one of the biggest queens in '40's Hollywood. The actor who played Jimmy Olson in the Superman TV show (I forget his name) was also gay. It wasn't just acting.

Wow learn something new every day, thanks. I did not know that about
Caeser Romero, Jimmy, was kind of a give or take, but Caeser never knew that one.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Wonder Woman and Batman are both obviously gay.

Wonder Woman: lives on an Amazonian island with all women. They are militant feminists who somehow never need men. Clearly based on Lesbos.

Batman: A handsome billionaire yet never dates girls but hangs out with teen boys.

Superman isn't gay, you don't see him X-ray visioning Jimmy.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Looks like Obama's "evolving" is catching on.

From Fox News - "Honchos at Superman's comic book home, DC Comics, said this weekend that one of their most identifiable (but as of yet unnamed) straight characters will soon be coming out of the closet, according to a report".

Could Superman be gay? DC Comics having one their popular characters come out of the closet, report says | Fox News

I always used to wonder about him and Lois Lane, that "faster than a speeding bullet" stuff had to hurt.

But maybe it's the Dark Knight himself, putting a whole new kink on the Robin sidekick thing. Batman Is Gay: Comic Writer Grant Morrison Says Concept Of Superhero Character Is 'Sexually Deviant'

We'll know soon.
Of course Batman and Robin were. Superman, not so much.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
In the comics Batman has hooked up with many women, most notably Selina Kyle (Catwoman) and Talia Al Ghul (which resulted in his son and the...6th(?) Robin, Damian Wayne).
So what, Batman would not be the first gay man to have sex with women and even have children with them. Batman may have just been living on the down low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies