Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
The Vanishing Consumption Gap

"There simply isn’t much stuff left that is so expensive that rich people can buy it but poor people can’t."

"Look at what “poor” people have. Refrigerators. Cars. Televisions. Cell phones. Computers."

Income inequality is not the problem. Attitude is.

People who earn less than Wall Street CEO's still have plenty to be thankful for.

"The goods consumption of all Americans above homeless drug addicts on the SES scale is so high as to make “poverty” a term that cannot meaningfully be applied in the U.S. Not if you’ve lived in places where they have the real thing."

So what are these occupiers (Democrats) complaining about?

Even Obama is a misguided wealth redistributionist.

HOUSING

: smack:

Cell phones can be purchased at supermarkets and drug stores for under $10. Televisions - especially used - are also cheap.

Also, most poor people probably do not "own" refrigerators, washers, or dryers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:

"There simply isn’t much stuff left that is so expensive that rich people can buy it but poor people can’t."

"Look at what “poor” people have. Refrigerators. Cars. Televisions. Cell phones. Computers."

People who earn less than Wall Street CEO's still have plenty to be thankful for.

"The goods consumption of all Americans above homeless drug addicts on the SES scale is so high as to make “poverty” a term that cannot meaningfully be applied in the U.S. Not if you’ve lived in places where they have the real thing."

good grief.

OK i will try to explain this to you.

TVs are NOT THE PROBLEM.

have you got it?

Income INSECURITY.

healthcare INSECURITY.

employment INSECURITY.

retirement INSECURITY.

housing INSECURITY.

Ok have you guys got it now?

The issue is not can i afford t buy some consumer durables , it is underemployment , it is the unfair employment terms such as employment at will. it is the lack of paid vacation , crushed unions, flat pay, hyper expensive shelter costs.
sure you an buy a dozen TVs but you can't can't afford to send your kid to college. Sure i can buy a sexy kitchen set, but my job is at the whim of my employer..
economy hits a bump and millions get tossed out the door. EVERYTHING is tipped to favor employers and social safety nets are decimated.

Republicans are angry about borders and brown people because they feel insecure! But they are really just the victims of propaganda. Propaganda that purposely deflects their anger away from the underlying issues making them feel like they are under threat.

healthcare, housing, employment terms, education these are the real issues and they are a huge problem because our laws are being written by corporations.

worth noting CC defaults are spiking, suggesting US consumers are once again tapped out...

Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
The OP was from 2012.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:58 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Libs chant "life isn't fair" will go on forever.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:38 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Libs chant "life isn't fair" will go on forever.
Libs? I thought it was the Repubs who were whining. You don't like brown people coming in? Then tell the factory CEO's and agribusiness bosses to quit importing them illegally! Tell them to offer a decent wage and benefits, so Americans will take those jobs. Tell Disney and Google to quit firing American workers and importing South Asians at 2/3 the price of US techies. Talk to the people in your own party, who are benefiting from cheap, brown labor.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:

"Ability to buy consumer goods" is not a metric that I would find very important with regards to income inequality.

It is really about the big ticket items that still limit people's ability to move up economically, particularly housing and education-related expenses; and also ones ability to save for retirement and to save to build wealth (pretty hard to do when you're living paycheck to paycheck, as many lower income people are these days).

These circumstances often have a negative feedback effect, leading to somewhat of a vicious self-feeding cycle (i.e. it's becoming harder to move out of lower income brackets, unfortunately). You can never really save enough for housing, education, or retirement...so you kind of stagnate economically for most of your life. This is not an uncommon story in America today.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
good grief.

OK i will try to explain this to you.

TVs are NOT THE PROBLEM.

have you got it?

Income INSECURITY.

healthcare INSECURITY.

employment INSECURITY.

retirement INSECURITY.

housing INSECURITY.

Ok have you guys got it now?

The issue is not can i afford t buy some consumer durables , it is underemployment , it is the unfair employment terms such as employment at will. it is the lack of paid vacation , crushed unions, flat pay, hyper expensive shelter costs.
sure you an buy a dozen TVs but you can't can't afford to send your kid to college. Sure i can buy a sexy kitchen set, but my job is at the whim of my employer..
economy hits a bump and millions get tossed out the door. EVERYTHING is tipped to favor employers and social safety nets are decimated.

Republicans are angry about borders and brown people because they feel insecure! But they are really just the victims of propaganda. Propaganda that purposely deflects their anger away from the underlying issues making them feel like they are under threat.

healthcare, housing, employment terms, education these are the real issues and they are a huge problem because our laws are being written by corporations.

worth noting CC defaults are spiking, suggesting US consumers are once again tapped out...
And much of this lack of security comes from two issues: 1) Poor personal choices and a lack of understanding of thrift and working towards a goal, and similarly 2) Systemic lack of choices and options put in place mostly from leftist policy errors such as welfare dependence and the social ills that comes with that and lack of economic infrastructure in Democrat controlled areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies