Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Of course, anyone with two brain cells to their name realizes that it was a geographical, not a political reference. Still, the forms have to be observed in such matters. Issue an apology and move on.

That being said...

Damn straight. There's plenty of evidence of Poles quite happily taking part in the persecution - to say nothing of the incredible shabby treatment of surviving Jews after the war. Poland got a harsh deal in WWII, but their hypersensitivity also acts to cover up some of their countrymen's almost eager collaboration on this point. Several Sonderkommandos arrived to find their work mostly done for them by locals already.
Right on target. The Pole's hands aren't clean by ANY means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It was pretty damn obvious what was meant by those words.

Besides, do the Poles REALLY wanna open up a chapter on their participation in the Holocaust and their own treatment of the Jews? Because truthfully, that's why they're so touchy on this topic...they don't have clean hands themselves.
Yeah. There's a reason Hitler located the death camps in Poland. It wasn't because the Pols were notorious for their love of Jews. The Pols have a long and ugly history of murdering Jews. The Catholic church in Poland to this day continues to support such actions against the "Christ Killers."

Pols are not the only people who know Polish history.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default Excellent clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The search button is your friend //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ompetence.html
Unbelievable the absolute misguided nonsense that is spewed by the Right. THanks for posting the truth.

Once again, when one looks deeper, President Obama shines.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Funny. I just emailed one of my friends in Poland and he said that the only people who seem to be outraged by it are government officials because they have to look like they are standing up for Poland. There was some mention of this speech in the media and newspapers but nobody really though it was a big deal. Everyone else in Poland knows that President Obama was referring to the Nazi camps in Poland and what he meant. You CONservatives keep trying to throw S_H_I_T at Obama and hope that it sticks.
Right....right....that convenient friend in Poland that corroborates your opinion.

This is no rightie;

The Worst Thing Obama Has Ever Said - The Daily Beast

The Worst Thing Obama Has Ever Said

Quote:
For Obama to refer to a "Polish death camp" is just ghastly. Some callow kid in the speechwriting office didn't know the difference? And what of Obama? I will assume that he does know better.
This is what I've been saying. Where was the grown-ups to catch this monumentally stupid historical smear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
America apologizes for nothing!

Isn't that the conservative mantra?
Flitting around the word apologizing for America's past "evil" is one thing, but he's not apologizing for America here, he should be apologizing for the crap that comes from his own pie hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I hate these games of gotcha. He clearly misspoke. I hope he doesn't apologize this stuff is becoming nauseating.
Misspoke? After one of his awesome young speech writers wrote it, after he and his advisers likely went over it dozens of times and then some. That is not a "misspeak", that is just plain ignorance of history. Like I said, there is no one in the WH who really gives a damn if they get it right or not.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Snip:

Barack Obama has insulted 38 million Poles with his crass and ignorant 'Polish death camp' remark

“The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,†Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk “will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.â€

Barack Obama has insulted 38 million Poles with his crass and ignorant 'Polish death camp' remark – Telegraph Blogs

What an ignorant, foolish piece of chump change. It's way past time for CHANGE.
Yeah, I bet if you were given the choice of voting for him or W, you'd vote W, who was worse. Presidents make mistakes sometimes. You make a few hundred speeches a year and they happen. Has this happened in any disproportional amount with Obama. Not that I've seen and you've presented no data on here to prove your point.

YAWAOT Yet Another Whine About Obama Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yeah. There's a reason Hitler located the death camps in Poland. It wasn't because the Pols were notorious for their love of Jews. The Pols have a long and ugly history of murdering Jews. The Catholic church in Poland to this day continues to support such actions against the "Christ Killers."

Pols are not the only people who know Polish history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Right on target. The Pole's hands aren't clean by ANY means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Nobody in Eastern Europe does. A good many of those in the SS killing squads were, in fact, not German at all.

As besides, is this REALLY a controversy?

Drudge is pushing this as hard as he can, which is where I assume OP got the idea.

I think that Drudge is looking increasingly irrelevant this cycle precisely because of his strong, and now extremely apparent anti-Obama bias. I mean, every single day it's a new "controversy" about Obama that headlines his website, which his typical huge lettering, etc. I don't think I've seen him link a positive story about Obama or the Democrats in years - certainly since Sarah Palin was chosen as VP. While I've always known he was biased, there was some pretense of not being overly biased. That's gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Of course, anyone with two brain cells to their name realizes that it was a geographical, not a political reference. Still, the forms have to be observed in such matters. Issue an apology and move on.

That being said...

Damn straight. There's plenty of evidence of Poles quite happily taking part in the persecution - to say nothing of the incredible shabby treatment of surviving Jews after the war. Poland got a harsh deal in WWII, but their hypersensitivity also acts to cover up some of their countrymen's almost eager collaboration on this point. Several Sonderkommandos arrived to find their work mostly done for them by locals already.

Thank goodness that we have posters around here that GET IT!! The Poles are hypersensitive because they KNOW they had large scale participation in the Holocaust.

Obama's gaffe just pulled the scab off of that sore. Don't worry, the scab will regrow just fine knowing the Poles (a people that i happen to love by the way).

Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Right....right....that convenient friend in Poland that corroborates your opinion.

This is no rightie;

The Worst Thing Obama Has Ever Said - The Daily Beast

The Worst Thing Obama Has Ever Said

This is what I've been saying. Where was the grown-ups to catch this monumentally stupid historical smear?

Flitting around the word apologizing for America's past "evil" is one thing, but he's not apologizing for America here, he should be apologizing for the crap that comes from his own pie hole.

Misspoke? After one of his awesome young speech writers wrote it, after he and his advisers likely went over it dozens of times and then some. That is not a "misspeak", that is just plain ignorance of history. Like I said, there is no one in the WH who really gives a damn if they get it right or not.
Ignorance of history? Uh...the Poles were clearly one of the biggest collaborators in the commission of the Holocaust.

Bone up on your own history. The term "Polish Death Camp" aint all that far off from the truth.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ignorance of history? Uh...the Poles were clearly one of the biggest collaborators in the commission of the Holocaust.

Bone up on your own history. The term "Polish Death Camp" aint all that far off from the truth.
Yo. Not sure if you remember your history,but Germany invaded Poland. The camps were ran by Germans,not Poles. Germans hated the Poles. HATED them. Thought they were as low as it gets.

One good nthing may come of this though. Lots of Polish-American voters in swing states like Michigan,Pennsylvania,Ohio,Wisconsin,Florida.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times
Good ol' Doh!-bama

Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,201,005 times
Just more RWNJ faux outrage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies