Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times

Advertisements

What do you expect from Christians and their hierarchy? I am an atheist and find the idea that anyone who would seek to place themselves above others abhorrent, but that is the foundation of Christianity. They have no morals and cannot see man for what he truly is.

Christians need power and hierarchy. It is an inherently immoral belief system of hierarchy, if not flat out misogynist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
What do you expect from Christians and their hierarchy? I am an atheist and find the idea that anyone who would seek to place themselves above others abhorrent, but that is the foundation of Christianity. They have no morals and cannot see man for what he truly is.

Christians need power and hierarchy. It is an inherently immoral belief system of hierarchy, if not flat out misogynist.
Your post is about 10% correct. The rest is just a personal rant, which is unfortunate.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You fail to understand that the state laws that the OP cited do not require adherence to any specific religion - they only require a belief in a Supreme Being. In other words, Texas cannot require someone to be a Muslim to run for office - but a Muslim could run for office since Muslims believe in a Supreme Being. Your screaming about a coming theocracy, while entertaining - is a bunch of hooey.
Cool. I think my cat is a Supreme Being. He seems to have life pretty much figured out. I think I'll pick him to believe in should I ever, as an Atheist, want to run for office in Texas.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Your post is about 10% correct. The rest is just a personal rant, which is unfortunate.
The irony is steep in your post. Care to rant some moar?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Do these laws specify that the God must be Christian?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Out of curiosity, where do you find this information? There are English translations of the Bible that interpret 1st Corinthians 6:9 with slight variations, but they're very slight. And my understanding is that Paul was most likely speaking of Pederasty in that verse.

Still, I'm curious where you're getting your information.
Here you go

Wyecliffe Bible 1380
9 Whether ye witen not, that wickid men schulen not welde the kyngdom of God? Nyle ye erre; nethir letchours, nether men that seruen mawmetis, nether auouteris,
Olde English or Gaelic you will need a scholar versed in this language.
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind (KJV1611)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites (NKJV)
a. 1 Corinthians 6:9 That is, catamites
It is pretty obvious this is a recent addition. The stuff is out there if you care to look for it. You are not going to find it on traditional Bible sites.

Real scholars have used the in print versions and passed their judgements on that rather than easily editable electronic ones.

The references to stuff like sodomy is not even based of the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah and even if it was, those cities did not exist

Did Sodom and Gomorrah exist
The historical existence of Sodom and Gomorrah is still in dispute by archaeologists, as little archaeological evidence has ever been found in the regions where they were supposedly situated. The Bible indicates they were located near the Dead Sea (Genesis 14:1-3, 14:8-10, 34:3).

Strabo states that locals living near Moasada (as opposed to Masada) say that "there were once thirteen inhabited cities in that region of which Sodom was the metropolis". Strabo identifies a limestone and salt hill at the south western tip of the Dead Sea, and Kharbet Usdum ruins nearby as the site of biblical Sodom.
There are more scholarly sites that deal with this but Wiki is suffice for the level of discussion here.

The origins of Sodomite (draw your own conclusions)

Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM

197 posts, read 299,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
Was Texas in 1961 ruled by the Christian Taliban? America in 1950? How about 1865? Pennsylvania in 1790? Why do you despise your own country's heritage?

Here's the reality: Official recognition of God - and even preference for the precepts of the Christian religion - is far more consistent with America's historic values and national experience than the radical secularism you falsely claim is mandated by the Constitution.

More strawmen , SHOW where anyone made the claim that " secularism" was/is mandated. What's mandated is F R E E D O M to choose one's religion or NO religion whatsoever.

Might want to kinda back off from those " historic values" though , at least as regards Christianity , someone might post some examples of " historic values" directly from the Bible itself along with history of Christianity that you really might not want to address.......... good Warriors for God collecting foreskins and virgins 'n all that good stuff , ya know.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I thought this was your degree field?

Your statement above is a disgraceful lie and a calumny. Tell it to the martyrs who evangelized the Americas at the price of their own lives.

And while you're at it, please document for me just one example of a forced conversion. Just one example will do, Mr. Big "this is my degree field" George. Forced conversions have always been considered invalid in the Catholic Church.

The rest of your post is just more hysterical anti-Catholic rot. I've got better things to do.

YEAH??????? Ok , hows about we start with Father Junipero Serra? You state that " it;s a lie" , kindly explain the abuses perpetrated by the " Good" Father........

Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I did not bring religion up - others did and I responded to them - don't paint me as the instigator.

Dancing as fast as you can 'eh? Think about the title of this thread and then look at your words and your " not gonna talk about religion schtick" and how ridiculous you appear.

The thread is ABOUT religion , and it's incessant need to control what others do. It's about the basic ****freedoms**** afforded and assigned to *every* man by the Constitution , *N O W H E R E* in said document , the Bill of Rights or the Declaration does it say **** ONLY FOR CHRISTIANS****...............

If it states that then bring forth an example.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Nice dodge, Big George. You're the historian. You made an outrageously false claim about the Catholic Church in the Americas. You were called on it. You have been asked to provide just one example. Until you do that, your credibility is shot.

Bull****. I've already cited Father Junipero Serra , other examples abound. Now address him , did he exist? Did he beat a whole lot of indigenous humans to death.

Who was that who has the " shot credibility" again?

And I'm relatively certain you don't wish me to bring up the more recent debacles as regards to RCC , do you? I mean really we can do so if you wish , won't turn out real well for you but we can do so.

Or hey if you want non current hows about the childrens Crusades , now there's something " moral and ethical ".....'eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies