Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Evolutionary biology actually explains much of what you don't understand. There's nothing mysterious about it. Just because it's important to an individual that we have a specific purpose doesn't mean that purpose is real. I want the things I believe in to be true not comfortable. That allows me to make much better decisions. I actually think the fact that humans weren't designated with a "divine" purpose makes life that more wonderful/free. I choose my purpose and how I want to go about acheiving it.

As far as "creationism" specifically, it's a waste of time. Which creation myth are we talking about, there are 1000s of them and no evidence that any are true. If one chooses to just shoehorn in a god because they don't believe something can't come from nothing then all you've done is create an infinite regression of gods and/or completely discredit your premise. If the universe needs a cause then so does your god and so on. I think people need to grow up and invest in actually finding out what actually happened and not just making up and accepting what's easy and comfortable especially bronze age fairytales.

You still have to believe all that exists came from nothing, and if that is true, something caused something to emerge from nothing making nothing a first cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually creation and evolution can and do coexist, just that too many people on both sides of the argument are too blind to see it.
Why the "actually"? I never said that creationism and evolution can't coexist. I know many people who believe in both. Hell, it's the official position of the Catholic Church.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You still have to believe all that exists came from nothing, and if that is true, something caused something to emerge from nothing making nothing a first cause.
Where did God come from? Didn't his existence have to have been caused, or did he somehow come from nothing?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM

33,574 posts, read 18,177,840 times
From what the anti-creationists think ,-then they think this is possible. The first newspaper could have come to be by the big bang theory . The big bang happened and the letters were formed and the paper was formed and they were scattered and the letters and paper came together and then the New York Times came to be.. with no planning, no intelligent creator. Just a big bang. And all that information just printed by chance.. Now that big bang theory is really dumb thinking.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM

33,574 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Where did God come from? Didn't his existence have to have been caused, or did he somehow come from nothing?
God always was, ever think of where space ends.. it is infinite. God is infinite.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God always was, ever think of where space ends.. it is infinite. God is infinite.
So was he caused, or did he come from nothing?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
From what the anti-creationists think ,-then they think this is possible. The first newspaper could have come to be by the big bang theory . The big bang happened and the letters were formed and the paper was formed and they were scattered and the letters and paper came together and then the New York Times came to be.. with no planning, no intelligent creator. Just a big bang. And all that information just printed by chance.. Now that big bang theory is really dumb thinking.
What do evolution and the big bang have to do with each other?

And no, the first newspaper could not have come at the time of the Big Bang. The first hydrogen atoms we're formed until about 400,000 years after the Big Bang according to the theory.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,627 times
Why do you care so much what other people believe?

I believe evolution to a point. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation in science though. Something can't just be formed out of nothing. You can't create a cell, energy, human, bacteria out of nothing. The Big Bang theory doesn't explain anything really about how it happened, which is the only reason I look to science. It is as believable as god creating earth in seven days, and I don't believe either theory.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Why do you care so much what other people believe?

I believe evolution to a point. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation in science though. Something can't just be formed out of nothing. You can't create a cell, energy, human, bacteria out of nothing. The Big Bang theory doesn't explain anything really about how it happened, which is the only reason I look to science. It is as believable as god creating earth in seven days, and I don't believe either theory.
So why is it believable that a intelligent god formed out of nothing? Is it not more believable that simple things become more complex over time?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No, all you HAVE to believe is what is supported by evidence and continue searching for real evidence/answers and not asserting answers absent of evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies