Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times

Advertisements

I'd have pulled my cell out and started texting or playing games. Disrespect can go both ways.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I feel the same way you do with regards to integration, as I am one of those people who moved here from a different language environment (though I was in American territory in the first place), but you are wrong on one thing. English is not the official language of the U.S. It is the official language of California but it doesn't mean you are forced to speak English under penalty of law. That's a violation of the 1st Amendment. Official language in the U.S. only means government services will only be provided in that language
I know that and it is the same pretty much anywhere in Europe I can think of, Official only means "Official" in the Governmental sense but nonetheless it still implies English as THE language which has primacy.

I cannot fathom why someone would move to another country and not wish to integrate. It defies logic and reason to me and is a prime example of narrow minded and prejudiced behaviour.

I must admit I moved and lived around the world my entire life and I have always found any "expat" enclave or specific ethnic quarters, neighbourhoods etc... completely prejudicial to full , positive and successful integration. Human beings are naturally attracted by what feels familiar and safe but at some point one has to venture beyond our own group and get a little more adventurous.

I have no desire to remain with French speaking groups, in fact I have been here for over 23 years now and I think I know 2 other French people and we all speak English to one another !

And this area of England is riddled with French people too so it isn't a lack of opportunity either. Why would I congregate around French people when I live in England? It makes no sense whatsoever.

You either adapt and evolve or you don't immigrate IMO.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I'd have pulled my cell out and started texting or playing games. Disrespect can go both ways.
I would have stood up and turned mi culato toward the speaker.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I would have stood up and walked out. The speech is a statement to the graduating class not his parents alone. It is his First Amendment right but if I can't understand what he is saying, why waste my time sitting there?

[what he did was selfish]
As someone who speaks Spanish, I probably would have gone up there and started interpreting the speech into English. I know I'm not certified to officially interpret Spanish to English, but it's his fault he didn't get official interpreters. In that moment, I would care more about trying to make the day right for the people graduating than trying to disrespect him back.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Valedictorians give the same old generic speech anyways and the only people who care about what they have to say is their own family. The rest of the people are there for their kids.
That's completely not true. Just cause those speeches don't mean a lot to you doesn't mean they don't mean a lot to everyone else. For a lot of people, both graduates and families, graduation day is a big deal and something they will remember for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Get used to it. This is the diversity and appreciation for other cultures and non-assimilation that has been pushed on us.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I can't believe that posters are seriously suggesting that the student should have disrespected his own parents just to appease the English only nativists.
When in Rome home slice......when in Rome.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I would have stood up and walked out. The speech is a statement to the graduating class not his parents alone. It is his First Amendment right but if I can't understand what he is saying, why waste my time sitting there?

[what he did was selfish]
I'd do ya one better:

I'd start booing and hopefully enough people would join in so that the speech could not be heard. If kept up the little snowflake could have been booed right off the stage. Now that would have been something to see.....

Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Too bad it wasn't in Mandarin or German. Maybe entitled Spanish speakers would then "get it".

Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I would have stood up and turned mi culato toward the speaker.
That's what people should have done -- free speech works both ways and these jerks are always pulling their La Raza agenda -- the only thing they won't do is relocate back to a Spanish speaking nation -- you have to wonder why.

You really don't see this with immigrants from other countries. How did this kid's parents live and mooch off this country so many years without ever bothering to learn anything of the language here? It shows a bit lack of intellectual curiousity, imagine moving to live forever in some country and not wanting to learn anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies