Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times

Advertisements

Keep it classy folks.

Christian missionaries with pig's head taunt Arab-Americans at Dearborn festival | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
The three-day festival is the largest public gathering of Arab-Americans in the U.S.; it has drawn Christian missionaries for years, but in 2009, some become more aggressive, leading to arrests and legal feuds. Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arab-Americans in the U.S., many of them Muslim, making it a magnet for some Christian missionaries.

A group of about a dozen missionaries stood facing the festival on Friday with signs that made bigoted remarks about Islam and its prophet, Mohammed. One of the missionaries had a pig’s head mounted on a pole that he displayed in front of his group. Muslims don’t eat pigs because their faith teaches that the animal is unclean.

Some of the signs the missionaries held read: "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad (Islam's prophet) is a...liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
I don't believe people like that are true Christians. That's not how a true Christian should be acting.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,556 times
Though I may agree with their POV, I am very uncomfortable with this being associated with Christians. It's not right to be this way toward other people, because the are people and they should be treated with the same respect as everyone else. I would feel very different about this if they were doing it overseas where the Muslims are actually killing Christians. It would make more sense. The problem here is that when people, who are uneducated about what REAL Christians stand for, think about Christians stories like these are the first things that come to their minds because these are the "Christians" that get the most publicity. It needs to stop.

Christians who agree with this wholeheartedly, think about this: Would you want them coming to one of the festivals, or what have you, at your church and putting up bigoted signs?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't believe people like that are true Christians. That's not how a true Christian should be acting.
I agree! This is how we should be acting!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Really? How aren't they "true Christians?" And how should true Christians be acting? I'm puzzled at your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Though I may agree with their POV, I am very uncomfortable with this being associated with Christians. It's not right to be this way toward other people, because the are people and they should be treated with the same respect as everyone else. I would feel very different about this if they were doing it overseas where the Muslims are actually killing Christians. It would make more sense. The problem here is that when people, who are uneducated about what REAL Christians stand for, think about Christians stories like these are the first things that come to their minds because these are the "Christians" that get the most publicity. It needs to stop.

Christians who agree with this wholeheartedly, think about this: Would you want them coming to one of the festivals, or what have you, at your church and putting up bigoted signs?
LOL..."real Christians." What does that even mean at this point? You say you may agree with their POV, but then the rest of your point clearly makes no sense in respect to that statement.

It amazes me that Christians still have the nerve to claim moral high ground at this point in history based on their faith. SMH....it's like they're completely oblivious to their surroundings or something.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Wow. Those christian protestors are sure amatures.....

Bomb School Instructor Blows Himself Up In Indonesia | Globe Tribune.Info

Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? How aren't they "true Christians?" And how should true Christians be acting? I'm puzzled at your statement.

LOL..."real Christians." What does that even mean at this point? You say you may agree with their POV, but then the rest of your point clearly makes no sense in respect to that statement.

It amazes me that Christians still have the nerve to claim moral high ground at this point in history based on their faith. SMH....it's like they're completely oblivious to their surroundings or something.
No one can claim the high moral ground if you look at their history.

I think the posters point was more along the lines of not using a fringe group to label the entire bulk of a group.

Consider whom the OP normally targets with posts like this.

P.S. My parents just got back from 3-4 days of work (expenses all out of their own pockets) helping to fix houses for the poor in a storm ravaged town. There are those christians doing quiet works and then there are some out doing nothing more than antagonizing muslims etc.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No one can claim the high moral ground if you look at their history.

I think the posters point was more along the lines of not using a fringe group to label the entire bulk of a group.

Consider whom the OP normally targets with posts like this.

P.S. My parents just got back from 3-4 days of work (expenses all out of their own pockets) helping to fix houses for the poor in a storm ravaged town. There are those christians doing quiet works and then there are some out doing nothing more than antagonizing muslims etc.
Understood. But there has been a hell of a lot of antagonizing Muslims since 9/11.

I'm shocked that those folks didn't get an ass kicking. They've got some pretty violent dudes up in Dearborn. I've had a few run-in's with some of the young Arabs over there. Stone knuckleheads.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,372,656 times
I notice that this pile of journalistic crap - written by Niraj Warikoo - repeatedly refers to Christian "Missionaries," but NEVER bothers to identify them. Not once. Frankly, based on their actions, they sound like the Westboro Baptist Church wackos.

This is a perfect example of absolute CRAP journalism, and willfully gullible people who WANT to believe it.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,372,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I agree! This is how we should be acting!!!
You conveniently forgot to include the other half of the picture - which is a Muslim also engaged in hand-to-hand combat.

Or are you unaware of history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies