Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The three-day festival is the largest public gathering of Arab-Americans in the U.S.; it has drawn Christian missionaries for years, but in 2009, some become more aggressive, leading to arrests and legal feuds."

"Some become more aggressive"

Really?

Is that actually true?

"Leading to arrests and legal feuds"?

Dearborn Officials Face Federal Court Lawsuit

Last I heard, Mayor O'Reilly and Police Chief Haddad were being sued in federal court for violating the Constitutional rights of the Acts 17 street preachers.

Maybe "legal feuds" is a little generous for a Mayor and Police Chief who seem to think wiping their *** with the Constitution is OK.
There is a fine line between freedom of speech and intimidation, slander etc. I would think that screaming at muslims and having a pigs head would probably not be protected speech.

Do the front yard test. Imagine people on your front sidewalk doing something you find offensive...with the complete intent of provoking you. Still free speech? Or are they picking a fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Those weren't Christian missionaries.

The hate-speech toward and lying about Christians by the press and far left these days is downright scary. Sometimes I worry if it continues, it will get as bad as anti-semitism in 1930's Germany.
Dear god, while I agree there is vilification of Christians over politics.....your comment is....ok, I'm not going to say it, let's just give you an example.

Comparing US treatment of Christians to 1930's germany for jews is like comparing a misquito bite to being shot in the chest with a 120mm armor piercing tank round from an M1A Abrams battle tank.

Seriously, pick up a book....however if you are trying to set a new stratospheric record for hyperbole, you may have just won.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? How aren't they "true Christians?" And how should true Christians be acting? I'm puzzled at your statement.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Ghandi

Actions are the true measure of the individual.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Really? How aren't they "true Christians?" And how should true Christians be acting? I'm puzzled at your statement.

LOL..."real Christians." What does that even mean at this point? You say you may agree with their POV, but then the rest of your point clearly makes no sense in respect to that statement.

It amazes me that Christians still have the nerve to claim moral high ground at this point in history based on their faith. SMH....it's like they're completely oblivious to their surroundings or something.

Anyone can claim to be a Christian.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Ghandi

Actions are the true measure of the individual.
I don't like Muslims because too many are just like their Mohammed. Their faith is based on murder and oppression. One of the biggest myths is that Islam is a religion of peace. Completely false.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't like Muslims because too many are just like their Mohammed. Their faith is based on murder and oppression. One of the biggest myths is that Islam is a religion of peace. Completely false.
I think you are confusing the religion itself with the social development of countries where the religion is prevalent.

Christians of times past were every bit as violent and bloodthirsty as the extremist muslims in the news. (And keep in mind that we generally just hear about the extremists).

My own relatives were possibly involved in the slaughter and expulsion of Mormons from IL back in the day.

FYI- You know in India there are even Hindus that war with Muslims and commit attrocities? Yep, even Hinduism can be subverted by fundamentalism, nationalism etc.

My first-born son was given childcare for his first 2 years by a muslim family. Never gave it a second thought.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Understood. But there has been a hell of a lot of antagonizing Muslims since 9/11.

I'm shocked that those folks didn't get an ass kicking. They've got some pretty violent dudes up in Dearborn. I've had a few run-in's with some of the young Arabs over there. Stone knuckleheads.

What?

On what planet?

It is precisely because we are steeped in Christian traditions and values that we did not round-up all the Muslims following 911.

If Muslims feel antagonized, perhaps they should take a look at their own reluctance to openly condemn the actions of the 911 terrorists.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I think you are confusing the religion itself with the social development of countries where the religion is prevalent.

Christians of times past were every bit as violent and bloodthirsty as the extremist muslims in the news. (And keep in mind that we generally just hear about the extremists).

My own relatives were possibly involved in the slaughter and expulsion of Mormons from IL back in the day.

FYI- You know in India there are even Hindus that war with Muslims and commit attrocities? Yep, even Hinduism can be subverted by fundamentalism, nationalism etc.

My first-born son was given childcare for his first 2 years by a muslim family. Never gave it a second thought.
You should watch this documentary. The opinions of PHD's who really know what Islam is all about. Yes, there are peaceful Muslims and I'm sure in America there are entire Mosques that preach peace and tolerance, but they are doing so outside of the orthodox teachings of Islam. The peaceful Muslims are actually corrupting the message of Mohammed so my question is, why be a Muslim at all if you are going to reinvent it?

Islam - What the West Needs to Know (full) - YouTube

Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dear god, while I agree there is vilification of Christians over politics.....your comment is....ok, I'm not going to say it, let's just give you an example.

Comparing US treatment of Christians to 1930's germany for jews is like comparing a misquito bite to being shot in the chest with a 120mm armor piercing tank round from an M1A Abrams battle tank.

Seriously, pick up a book....however if you are trying to set a new stratospheric record for hyperbole, you may have just won.

If their concern is over the top or not, prudence indicates we should strangle this in the crib.

While a growing Muslim population in the US may make odd bedfellows with our traditional left-wing statists, the common ground of statism might someday be enough to unite those who oppose our freedoms.

Like I said, best to deal with this issue proactively.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
Religionists doing wacky nonsense. Nothing unusual here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies