Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. government ban wearing burqa/niqab in public?
Yes, it should be banned in all public places! 53 33.76%
Yeah, but only in federal/state buildings, airports, etc. 17 10.83%
No, they should be allowed to wear it 87 55.41%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM

311 posts, read 605,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
That goes for Christian garbage as well as Muslim garbage and its all garbage and thats my belief.
What garbage do Christians have? We have NO modesty clothing law, unlike Jews and Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Again you are grossly misinformed. There are churches in turkey even though number of christians is very little. you can look here-
Catholic Churches - - mymerhaba.com

You became scared but there is no law in turkey that a person cannot wear a cross. did anyone tell you to remove the cross?

Take another country malaysia:-
Welcome to the Frontpage
Lutheran Church in Malaysia
Council of Churches of Malaysia |

Another muslim country bangladesh- here you will see people wearing cross and celebrating christian festivals.

Photo || Gallery - CoB

you want more examples?????
Check Dubai which is in UAE. United Arab Emirates-its a muslim country.

::ST. Mary's Catholic Church, Dubai::

check that link you will have info for priests, bible studies, baptism, christian events etc.

Now all these muslim countries did not ban christianity. but you creating an artificial scenario of hate and fear against minorities. This is the problem with conservatives/Republicans/Tea Party etc.

And talking about very tolerant and nice, ask black people who were subjected to slavery for hundreds of years. What are your church views on slavery or Jim Crow Laws? What did they do to fight against that injustice done to fellow americans???? Many so called good christians did not alllow black patrons in being served at Diners or sit in bus or enroll at schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
No don't tell me that Christians are allowed to wear cross in Muslim countries. You are in danger if you are "allowed" to wear it. When I visited Turkey (Among the most secular Muslim nation), I was looked down for wearing my Cross, and felt scared all the time until I removed it after first day.

The problem with us Christians are that we are very tolerant and nice, and with this tolerant everyone else attack and target us, that's why Christians are persecuted everywhere.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
The government shouldn't outlaw any clothes.
Why not? Everyone will be naked

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. I, too, would like 'them' (the terrorists) to just go away. But hiding our heads in the sand is also not the way and I would rather take precautions than have lives lost. That, sadly, is the reality of our position.

There are no absolute 'black' or 'white' values in life. Surely, we have lived long enough to recognize that?

What I have proposed is an ugly idea, but still better than the alternative.
People, I am sure, would have a totally different attitude if their fathers, husbands, lovers, sons, uncles, were killed in a hotel or restaurant. Why wait until?
Religion is just the tool to carry out the intention. Would you blame the gun used for killing someone, or the person pulling the trigger? Islamic terrorists are people who are already insane without religion who hide behind the Qur'an or whatever to justify their insanity. If a peaceful woman in the U.S. wants to wear burqa' cause it makes her feel closer to God, that's her right, and she should be able to do so without being linked to Bin Laden and other Islamic terrorists.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
If you outlaw burqas, the terrorists will find another way. A bomb can be hidden in a handbag. Why not ban handbags? One can also hide a gun in a handbag. Was there not a suicide bomber who hid a bomb in his underwear? Isn't that the reason for the pat-downs and naked body scanners?

I'm tired of sacrificing in the name of "precautions." We need to be more intelligent in dealing with terrorists, not throw away freedoms in an effort to avoid them.

I'm not the biggest fan or burqas or of Mormon temple garments, but banning things because a terrorist might use that form of clothing is ridiculous. You're not going to save anyone.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Protect our freedom by taking away:
Taking the freedom for people to have a trial....or even a lawyer
Taking away people's freedom of privacy by letting the government listen in to every word you say and read every word you write
Taking away the freedom of people to protest by making them stay in a roped off zone blocks away from the political conventions.
Taking away the freedom to vote by putting road blocks in the way of people to deter them from voting
Taking away the freedom of anyone other than the very, very rich to have input into the selection of candidates or to influence the vote of their "elected" representatives
so I guess the next logical step to "protecting our freedom" is to take away the freedom of people to practice their religion

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Again you are grossly misinformed. There are churches in turkey even though number of christians is very little. you can look here-
Catholic Churches - - mymerhaba.com

You became scared but there is no law in turkey that a person cannot wear a cross. did anyone tell you to remove the cross?

Take another country malaysia:-
Welcome to the Frontpage
Lutheran Church in Malaysia
Council of Churches of Malaysia |

Another muslim country bangladesh- here you will see people wearing cross and celebrating christian festivals.

Photo || Gallery - CoB

you want more examples?????
Check Dubai which is in UAE. United Arab Emirates-its a muslim country.

::ST. Mary's Catholic Church, Dubai::

check that link you will have info for priests, bible studies, baptism, christian events etc.

Now all these muslim countries did not ban christianity. but you creating an artificial scenario of hate and fear against minorities. This is the problem with conservatives/Republicans/Tea Party etc.

And talking about very tolerant and nice, ask black people who were subjected to slavery for hundreds of years. What are your church views on slavery or Jim Crow Laws? What did they do to fight against that injustice done to fellow americans???? Many so called good christians did not alllow black patrons in being served at Diners or sit in bus or enroll at schools.
I'm not saying that Christianity and churches are banned in Islamic countries (Other than Saudi Arabia); however Christians are constantly being persecuted in those countries, scared to worship Christ openly, and churches are being bombed frequently. Muslims in western countries with Christian majority are never scared to openly worship Allah, wear their Islamic clothing freely and are proud of their faith. Christians are tolerant and nice.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
What other countries and cultures do or require are none of our concern. Although I object to the reasons for wearing these items I support the people that wish to do so. I would also prosecute anyone that forced women to wear these garments.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
I'm not saying that Christianity and churches are banned in Islamic countries (Other than Saudi Arabia); however Christians are constantly being persecuted in those countries, scared to worship Christ openly, and churches are being bombed frequently. Muslims in western countries with Christian majority are never scared to openly worship Allah, wear their Islamic clothing freely and are proud of their faith. Christians are tolerant and nice.
Right, and should we strive to be like them by banning Islam in our country? Or should we strive to be unlike them by being a model of religious tolerance?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Right, and should we strive to be like them by banning Islam in our country? Or should we strive to be unlike them by being a model of religious tolerance?
That's a good question.

The thing is that since Christians in the western world are very tolerant to other religions and faiths; we always get attacked and persecuted by the minority all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies