Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Having read independant actuarial papers on the merits of mandatory insurance plans here goes.....

We have already been paying for other peoples health insurance via higher charges on our own bills to cover those that go to the hospital with no coverage and never pay. By having them pay *something* into the system it should actually enhance fairness and may actually reduce costs for those of us that have been paying for healthcare all along.

For an example using auto insurance....imagine that auto insurance wasn't mandatory and that if an uninsured driver crashed into you that they would also get their car fixed (ie can't refuse someone treatment at the ER) but that the repair shop would just charge you double because the other driver will never pay their debt. What would happen to the auto insurance premiums for the people that buy insurance?
Actually, that is the way auto ins. used to be. That is why most states made it mandatory. We used to pay some sort of "uninsured driver" surcharge here in CO, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Guess what I just heard Obama saying in a video from 2009? Yep, you will not see your taxes go up, any kind of taxes, if you make less than $250,000 per year. The mandate has been declared a tax by the Supreme Court and that means that was another of Obama's lies. You are still taken in by lies that have been proved to be lies by him.

Surely you don't believe that HHS or the IRS will go after all that money from insurance companies you talk about. Is there any reason why they should pay their employees? Naw, but you can count those expenses in with health care. :roll eyes:

Oh me, I forgot to say that I heard Obama saying those words about not having taxes go up on Fox and surely they created that video. I don't think so because other sources used to play that video, some of them being MSM.
I've seen many of his videos saying that. It boggles my mind that there is more proof on tape about this liar in the office, yet half the dang county bows down to him.

Hello world, OBAMA WILL LOOK YOU IN THE EYES AND LIE TO YOU!!! Its a fact.

Most poor people are poor because of their choices.

If we keep providing the help, they will keep taking it. Its time now to take it away and force Americans to be self dependent. I have really good insurance, but now, it will get screwed up because of this. I cant have better care then someone else, right.

Not just on this forum, but all over, the negative outweighs the positive, by a lot. Why does the feds need all our doctors to digitize and submit medical records?? Last time I checked, it was none of their damn business.

And if we think this is bad now, all hell will break loose if he is re-elected again.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Insurance companies can no longer deny you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition
Insurance companies must spend 80% of every dollar paid to provide health care - not admin costs
Insurance companies can no longer dump you from their rolls if you get sick

There's plenty more, is the HC law perfect no, but it moves us forward instead of the stagnation we've been in for decades and our health care system is broken, is it fixed by this no, but it's a start.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
It may bring coverage to 30 million more people. Access to care will be a boon to hospitals, who now spend a lot of time trying to keep away uninsured. Less use of emergency rooms. Preventive care available to more patients. The health care and government sectors adding more much-needed jobs. Who knows, hospitals could expand further, almost rescuing the construction industry.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Insurance companies can no longer deny you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition
Insurance companies must spend 80% of every dollar paid to provide health care - not admin costs
Insurance companies can no longer dump you from their rolls if you get sick

There's plenty more, is the HC law perfect no, but it moves us forward instead of the stagnation we've been in for decades and our health care system is broken, is it fixed by this no, but it's a start.
Forward to what exactly? We just opened the door to government involvement in our health. Whats next? Do you realize having that door open, where that can lead to? If any of you think NYC banning certain soda sizes was something, you aint seen nothing yet. In order to keep costs down, since this bill is not intended to keep costs down, they are going to have to start ..........REGULATING even more. They are going to start saying you have to do this and you cant do that.

Opening the door to government into more of our once private lives only leads to less freedom and liberty for us. There are very big negatives to this bill, this being the biggest. The power and control could be near limitless now over us.

Some think its worth it, sadly. Many dont. I prefer to keep America, America and not trample on our Constitution which was put in place partially to limit the power of the federal government. This is just another damn expansion of the powers of the feds. Congrats

Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It may bring coverage to 30 million more people. Access to care will be a boon to hospitals, who now spend a lot of time trying to keep away uninsured. Less use of emergency rooms. Preventive care available to more patients. The health care and government sectors adding more much-needed jobs. Who knows, hospitals could expand further, almost rescuing the construction industry.
Access to care is going to get worse. People are going to have to wait longer than they use to. And just where does all this new money come from for the hospitals to do this and that?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Just listened to Dr. Sanjay Gupta on the radio this morning and he discussed how hospitals provide compensatory health care to those who don't have insurance when they visit Emergency Rooms. We as taxpayers are all paying for these costs.

In the end, since over 32 million additional Americans will have health insurance, this could possibly lower our premiums and monthly payments for everyone's health insurance costs.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
What will happen to everyone's premiums when we continue to keep the borders open and more and more illegals flood the system? Nancy Pelosi stood up and said that they had removed the clause where illegals were covered, but she lied. My shocked face.....
Premiums will most likely decrease since this bill will require more Americans to be insured, or face the penalty for not having insurance.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default The key positive is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm just so sick of hearing about negative stuff!
Conservatives oppose it. This means that it's good for the country.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Seems like many doctors are happy about the ruling.

Doctors Applaud Ruling But Keep Champagne On Ice : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies