Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Science. And experience.

I am not an atheist, assuming you define that as "materialist", meaning our physical reality is all that exists, and a spiritual reality that is bigger than this does not. I do not believe that, in fact, I believe that spiritual reality is much bigger and much more real than what we're experiencing now.

That said, the very idea that when the "end comes" I will be "exposed as having been wrong" is completely laughable, and the fact that you believe such nonsense calls your intellect into question. Simple observation of our reality should have shown you that.

The idea that "your" gawd will show preferential treatment you those who "believe" in him should have, of itself, shown you the fact that your idea of the afterlife is bunk.
You are discussing things of which you have no understanding - I can understand why it seems as if you are fumbling around in the dark - you are truly blind(intellectually and spiritually) - you are one who has made themselves out to be wise - but is actually a fool.

I can't help you until you choose to open your eyes.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I can't help you until you choose to open your eyes.
Following the guidance of men who didn't fathom what a virus or bacteria was is NOT opening my eyes. The men who gave you your holy book didn't have a clue what reality was all about. Continue to follow their guidance if you must.

For me, I'd prefer to defer to those who actually have a clue what our reality is like.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Following the guidance of men who didn't fathom what a virus or bacteria was is NOT opening my eyes. The men who gave you your holy book didn't have a clue what reality was all about. Continue to follow their guidance if you must.

For me, I'd prefer to defer to those who actually have a clue what our reality is like.
This post illustrates what i said about you being blind perfectly. You think that viruses and bacteria were only known very recently. There was much old knowledge in ancient times that was lost - and the practices of people - what we can glean from writings, archaeology, and cultural knowledge demonstrate that bacterias and viruses were known about. Do you think that bacterias and viruses weren't around then - that they have just been "discovered".

The arrogance of many scientists today is responsible for much of the foolishness present in their thinking - they believe that they are special and that ancient civilizations were primitive. The flawed and blatantly false theory of evolution probally has much to do with this - that and the mistake born out of the Scientific Revolution that has deluded people into thinking that their "new found" knowledge somehow "proves" that God doesn't exist.

Sorry bro, but we have only uncovered the tip of a very large iceberg of the knowledge that ancient people knew and used - compared to them we are truly still "playing at the seashore" - like Sir Isaac Newton alluded to - and recall that he was a spiritual person.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,112,399 times
Quote:
This post illustrates what i said about you being blind perfectly. You think that viruses and bacteria were only known very recently. There was much old knowledge in ancient times that was lost - and the practices of people - what we can glean from writings, archaeology, and cultural knowledge demonstrate that bacterias and viruses were known about. Do you think that bacterias and viruses weren't around then - that they have just been "discovered".

The arrogance of many scientists today is responsible for much of the foolishness present in their thinking - they believe that they are special and that ancient civilizations were primitive. The flawed and blatantly false theory of evolution probally has much to do with this - that and the mistake born out of the Scientific Revolution that has deluded people into thinking that their "new found" knowledge somehow "proves" that God doesn't exist.

Sorry bro, but we have only uncovered the tip of a very large iceberg of the knowledge that ancient people knew and used - compared to them we are truly still "playing at the seashore" - like Sir Isaac Newton alluded to - and recall that he was a spiritual person.
For serious? Let me guess, the ancient Mesopotamians conducted manned missions to Mars.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times
Quote:
I am prevented from marrying someone of the same gender just like you are - I just don't self identify as a homosexual and expect to be given special rights because I have labeled myself.

You have exactly the same rights concerning marriage as everybody else - trying to claim that you don't and especially drawing ridiculous parallels between yourself and black Americans just makes you look silly and causes people to rightfully shun your movement.

You can marry any person of the opposite gender, who is of legal age, and not a close relative that you want - just as I may - no one is denying you that right. Stop saying that they are.
When same sex marriage is made legal YOU will also be able to marry someone of the same sen. See, no special rights.
I never labeled myself, society has labeled me.

I do not have the same rights as everyone else. You can get married, move and your marriage will be recognized in any state that you live. I can get married, move, and there is a good chance that my marriage will not.
The federal government recognizes your legal marriage, but would not recognize my legal marriage.

As for marrying someone of the opposite gender. Would you want me marrying your son? Granted it would be a loveless marriage, but I'm sure we would be friends.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Out of curiosity, would most gays and gay right supporters be happy with a civil union that had all of the same benefits of heterosexual marriage?
Considering that it has never happened, even where they were supposedly equal? NO

Look at the cost:
EVERY law that mentions marriage, married, spouse, marital status etc would have to be rewritten.
EVERY legal document that mentions marriage, married, spouse, marital status etc would have to be rewritten, and printed.
EVERY government form that mentions marriage, married, spouse, marital status etc will have to be rewritten and printed.
EVERY business form that mentions marriage, married, spouse, marital status etc will have to be rewritten and printed.
EVERY online form that mentions marriage, married, spouse, marital status etc will have to be rewritten.

What is the cost of this change to taxpayers, and businesses?

What is the cost to change one law per state to allow same sex marriage, and repeal DOMA. Then all existing forms, documents, and laws would also pertain to same sex marriage.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I could say the same for you.

Where do you get any support for saying that someone who interprets certain books in a manner that you don't agree with is mentally ill - especially when doing so shows great disrespect to people who truly suffer from such things?

I get that you are an atheist and think that those books are nonsense - that is fine (well, not really - because when the end comes - you will be exposed as having been wrong) - but your rhetoric is a bit over the top.

So - what - I should believe something just because some random person on an internet forum named DentalFloss says so?

Look in the mirror, bro.
Where do you get any support for saying that someone who lives in a manner that you don't agree with is mentally ill - especially when doing so shows great disrespect to people who live this way?

I get that you are a heterosexual and think that my love is nonsense - that is fine (well, not really - because when the end comes - you will be exposed as having been wrong) - but your rhetoric is a bit over the top.

So - what - I should be something that I'm not just because some random person on an internet forum named Harrier says so?

See? It works both ways.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times
I agree that in the abstract it is true that being against gay marriage does not necessarily mean you hate gays. However, in my own person experience, every person I ever knew who claimed to be against gay marriage for one "legitimate" reason or another later did something or said something to make it abundantly clear that they simply hated gay people.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,944 times
Quote:
You think that viruses and bacteria were only known very recently.
No, I don't think that. I know it. It is indisputable fact. Not that you ever let that stand in your way of making a ridiculous argument.

Quote:
There was much old knowledge in ancient times that was lost - and the practices of people - what we can glean from writings, archaeology, and cultural knowledge demonstrate that bacterias and viruses were known about. Do you think that bacterias and viruses weren't around then - that they have just been "discovered".
And here you make, as a statement of fact, a statement that cannot possibly be backed up. Even if it were true the fact that the knowledge was "lost" means exactly that. From our perspective, it appears that ancient man indeed did not know about such things.

The fact that they frequently viewed illness as literally a punishment from gawd for bad behavior simply reinforces my position.

Quote:
The flawed and blatantly false theory of evolution probally has much to do with this - that and the mistake born out of the Scientific Revolution that has deluded people into thinking that their "new found" knowledge somehow "proves" that God doesn't exist.
Flawed and blatantly false? Oh, please, do enlighten me, for from where I'm sitting it seems the exact opposite.

As for whether or not new knowledge "proves" that gawd doesn't exist, I'd say it proves that the gawd "of the bible" does not exist, but it doesn't really say anything at all about whether or not there is a hereafter.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Who cares how opponents of same sex marriage feel about homosexuals. Opponents of gay marriage are guilty of wanting their illogical and emotional thinking to be the law of the land.

Look, I am not all that comfortable around homosexuals, but the reality is that the GOVERNMENT gives married couples certain legal rights and tax benefits.

The issue becomes how do you deny same sex couples those GOVERNMENT legal rights and tax benefits based on the LAW.

The opponents of gay marriage have zero answers for that question, which is the legal question that is being put forth.

Instead of making a legal argument, they make a belief based argument that is completely irrelevant to the legal question.
I wish I could rep this response more than once. Well said!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies