Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM

657 posts, read 719,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many of them do you think report their "wages"? I say damned few.
none report wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,691,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Didn't know that--that is interesting stuff.

Prostitution was generally legal in the US until the early 20th century, when the progressives targeted booze, prostitution, and drugs. The progressives loved to ban things.

A major impetus for bans on prostitution and drugs was racism. The first case of the Mann Act (prostitution ban) was black boxer Jack Johnson for having relations with a white girl.
Mann Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then as now, progressives were nothing if not prohibitionists and racists.
Early 20th century progressivism often went into political territory that today would be regarded as fascism (no surprise that Mussolini and American progressives had a mutual love fest which lasted until the mid 1930s). That's why I can't figure out why "liberals" became "progressives" in contemporary America - maybe because the "new progressives" have similar interests in social control like many of the old progressives?

I will give James Mann, who authored the Mann Act, credit for something. He didn't like prostitution but he didn't like prohibition of alcohol and drugs either - he voted against the Harrison and Volstead Acts. Not too many progressives did. Admittedly, supporting prohibition would have been political suicide in his heavily German congressional district in Chicago.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,416,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Early 20th century progressivism often went into political territory that today would be regarded as fascism (no surprise that Mussolini and American progressives had a mutual love fest which lasted until the mid 1930s). That's why I can't figure out why "liberals" became "progressives" in contemporary America - maybe because the "new progressives" have similar interests in social control like many of the old progressives?

I will give James Mann, who authored the Mann Act, credit for something. He didn't like prostitution but he didn't like prohibition of alcohol and drugs either - he voted against the Harrison and Volstead Acts. Not too many progressives did. Admittedly, supporting prohibition would have been political suicide in his heavily German congressional district in Chicago.
majoun you know that history better than I do, and I suspect I know it better than 99% here. I wouldn't have known the first name of the author of the Mann act. But I think the common thread among early 20th cent. progressivism, fascism, and contemporary liberalism is easy. It is collectivism--the belief that decisions are best made at the collective level rather than the individual level.

Anyway, excellent posts and info. I learn something new every day, thanks to posters like you.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,691,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
majoun you know that history better than I do, and I suspect I know it better than 99% here. I wouldn't have known the first name of the author of the Mann act. But I think the common thread among early 20th cent. progressivism, fascism, and contemporary liberalism is easy. It is collectivism--the belief that decisions are best made at the collective level rather than the individual level.

Anyway, excellent posts and info. I learn something new every day, thanks to posters like you.
I knew Congressman Mann's full name due to reading a book about the Harrison Narcotics Act.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM

i knew a hooker who claimed to 300k easily .tax free

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 PM

goverment has to go after these moran who pay no taxes and are on public assistance

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,492,044 times
Do they even pay taxes. Hey come to think about it a couple months ago, there was a show that was interviewing lo and behold prositutes, on their jobs, their johns, the money they make, and the tips.

Lets get to the tips, some nights if your really popular, one gal, got a tip top stuck in between her breasts of $1,000. One gal at the end of the night kid you not, got $10,000 for taking care of a good customer.

Now i want to know, do they pay taxes on this money. That is good money.
Being that most get paid in cash, is there nothing to worry about.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Do they even pay taxes. Hey come to think about it a couple months ago, there was a show that was interviewing lo and behold prositutes, on their jobs, their johns, the money they make, and the tips.

Lets get to the tips, some nights if your really popular, one gal, got a tip top stuck in between her breasts of $1,000. One gal at the end of the night kid you not, got $10,000 for taking care of a good customer.

Now i want to know, do they pay taxes on this money. That is good money.
Being that most get paid in cash, is there nothing to worry about.

my point actually ---------i bet no taxes were paid

Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,124,714 times
Prostitutes in NYC may find it more difficult to ply their trade. Mayor Bloomberg signed a city bill that would impose heavy fines on taxi drivers that are caught driving a prostitute anywhere.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM

are you serious ? these girl can buy a whole feet of cars ............. just go after them tax evasive .....= twenty years in jail ......... while their trade get them only 19 days on first offense ............. ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies