Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If a rich person makes 10% on his millions he makes millions if a poor person makes 100% on nothing he still makes nothing.
Make a few million. "Better than nothing" seems applicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Even Newt Gingrich, says Mitt Romney is a liar. That’s pretty bad.
So I take it the liar is only lying when you disagree with what he is saying...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Not true! I'm just pointing out to people who want to earn more how to get started in an inexpensive way!

It would btw make my life easier since usually we have to email and/or call people who make less money, more than people who make more money since they are the ones who always reply fast!

The people living in higher end rentals usually pay on time and that isn't just because they have better jobs.

We have changed a lot of tenants in our business by having them pay late fees and now they figured out that paying on time will save them money...it is almost like they need a parent, specially the younger generation!

I guess that not many parents in that categorie are telling their kids to pay on time...they always have excuses and feel that their excuse makes them entitled not to pay that fee...than they find out that we treat everybody the same and over time they clean up their act!

To me it is sad that nobody has been telling them things like ...pay bills on time, will save you money!

This thread is not class warfare...for that you have to be the POTUS/divider!
Forget it. That actual thing you wanted to discuss was lost after the first few posts. It is now just a rich vs poor thread like thousands of the others.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Once I read a really good book about how to make money. One of the pieces of advice was not to waste time telling other people what they are doing wrong in order to try and help them. This especially applied to people that hated money or people with money. The OP obviously never read that book.

Unfortunately the OP chose to use the words rich and poor in his OP and it distracted people. He himself admits he is not rich. The points he made are good points and if followed you will be more successful and have more money than if you don't follow them. How could that not be true?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 AM

170 posts, read 129,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Not really. Your idea of discipline and hard work is just different.
You mean like working two jobs to get through college, and have a part-time job while finding full time work instead of relying on unemployment and paying your loans by working up to 70-80 hrs a week? Cause that's what I do and I tell you what...I still see that there are disparities between the ultra-rich and the rest of us.

I'm fine with my lot. I'm not poor and I do work hard for the little I got. However, I would be WAY worse regardless of how hard I worked if I were born extremely poor. Simply put, I would not have been able to go to a suburban school district with relatively good schools. I would not even have the little funding from my parents to help pay for college (very little, but every bit helps) and I would not have been able to crash at my parents when I did fall on hard times. When I moved, I borrowed money to help with the move from my parents.

The biggest factor really was the schooling and education. Being middle class sheltered me from that environment. I remember taking vacations with my family to Europe during the summer to see friends and family. My parents took me so I could learn manners and how to relate with the upper class. I know old money quite well. I know the mentality quite well. I mean it's normal to go sailing on Lake Geneva right? What about playing tennis in the south of France? Safari in Kenya? 5 month vacations to Europe and Africa? That is one part of my life. The other part is how I went to the inner city school my dad taught at. I also would help everyone out around the neighborhood (tutoring, mentoring). So I had a split life.

I understand the wealthy are not malicious people. However, I understand that the wealthy are simply too far removed from the poor (and even middle class, since those from the middle class that associate with them learn to adapt...not the other way). It is easy for those with money to simply say that it is about hard work...because they don't see the fact that inequalities do exist that prevents simple hard work from acting as a factor for change.

Long story short...hard work is not the only thing.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 AM

170 posts, read 129,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Forget it. That actual thing you wanted to discuss was lost after the first few posts. It is now just a rich vs poor thread like thousands of the others.
It always was a rich vs. poor thread. That's the actual thing the OP wanted to discuss.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
The poor can find a way to get rich. The thing is to find what works with you.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Once I read a really good book about how to make money. One of the pieces of advice was not to waste time telling other people what they are doing wrong in order to try and help them. This especially applied to people that hated money or people with money. The OP obviously never read that book.

Unfortunately the OP chose to use the words rich and poor in his OP and it distracted people. He himself admits he is not rich. The points he made are good points and if followed you will be more successful and have more money than if you don't follow them. How could that not be true?
The words come to me because this POTUS is using them over and over and to me he is the biggest divider....I expected him to bring the country closer but instead he did everything the opposite, now we have class warfare started by him...

All I wanted to try to bring across is that people who are rich which according to Obama is people who make over $250K, which to me is not rich but making a good living.....POTUS uses these words and I believe that people who don't have as much can easily do things to make a better life...does that mean they will immediately become rich, no but you have to start some where.

As a realtor you know which kind of people reply fast and who are hardly ever replying...usually the people with more money will reply faster...people who will not show up for appointments are overal the people with less money...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Those who fail do so because they just are not willing to NOT fail. Refuse to fail!

Clearly people stringing together multiple minimum wage jobs and still cant afford adequate housing or food simply "arent trying".

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It's quite clear to me the OP was intended to start a fight over two classes of people: the rich, the poor. This is really starting to get childish. Don't we have better things to do.

No we dont, income inequality is the BIGGEST issue facing the country today. Sweeping it under the rug, pretending its a non issue, or outright holding those who acknowledge it in contempt, are delusional, self serving, or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies