Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
You rarely hear them say:

That's not my job
I get off at 5
I should be getting paid more
That's my day off
I shouldn't have to do that
That's not fair
It's not my fault
How much vacation do I get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
What percentage of the wealthy are like her? What percentage of the rich even have a mugshot? How does it compare with the percentage of poor that have a mugshot?
Well at least 5 out of the top 10 richest people in the country are like her. If you want to conduct your own research, go for it. I am not here to do research for you.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
The vast majority of them did not inherit it. There will always be exceptions.
Is this your opinion or do you have a cite?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

That's not my job
I get off at 5
I should be getting paid more
That's my day off
I shouldn't have to do that
That's not fair
It's not my fault
How much vacation do I get
The very wealthy do not have traditional jobs. There is a major disconnect between "working people" and the very wealthy.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Michael Duke is the CEO of Walmart. Get your facts straight. The children own things. They don't run squat. They have money because Walmart has been successful. Alice is one of the wealthiest and she has had nothing to do with Walmart. You blindly believe that everyone who is wealthy has worked harder or made better decisions than others. The fact is that many who are wealthy were simply born that way.

"They go to work every day". You have no concept of the life of the super wealthy. When you are super wealthy you can even pay $20,000 for someone to do your homework.

Wal-Mart heiress returns USC diploma - US news - Education - msnbc.com
How do you have any concept of the life of the super wealthy? Are you one of them? How is it you feel you can identify with the rich and what they do every day? People that defend the poor say I you can't identify with them unless you have been one. How do you claim to know what the rich are all about if you have never been one?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Inner city schools that have terrible teachers and no AP courses for high school students. Or after school programs to keep kids out of trouble and out of gangs.

Poor areas that are ill served with access to mass transportation options. In my town, the poor are being pushed further and further out in to the suburbs because rental prices in the city are shooting up due to historically low vacancy rates. Right into areas where mass transport is being cut.

Welfare programs that are not gradient dependent on the recipients needs. IE, if you go get a job at McDonalds, you loose all public help. But you can't afford to work at McDonalds because you're making less money then on Welfare. Or you don't have a baby sitter.

These are just a few off the top of my head. You can argue with them somewhat, but to pretend that these sorts of roadblocks don't exist for some people is very head in the sand thinking.
You know, this annoys me a little. Because what it really does is ignore the cultural issues that keep education from succeeding in inner cities. I work with an inner city charter school. If you enroll your child, you will have a place no matter what your income is. There are only three requirements: a) You the parent have to make sure your child does his or her homework every night, b) Your child has to adhere to the code of conduct; and c) you the parent have to recognize that the parent is the most important part of a child's education, which means you have to attend teacher conferences and school meetings. If you are working, the school will bend over backwards to accommodate your schedule. And the cost per student is roughly half that of the surrounding school system.

The teachers in this school are all exceptional. Many of them came from other inner city schools and took a pay cut. Why? Because rather than deal with a stultifying bureaucracy that was more about generating excuses and letting poor performers off the hook, they wanted to actually teach. The result? Test scores that rival many well-funded suburban school systems. In short, there's no problem with the kids. There's a huge problem with inner city culture that perpetuates poverty. Until there's a cultural acceptance at work that makes education possible, no amount of funding and programs will do the job.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
The very wealthy do not have traditional jobs. There is a major disconnect between "working people" and the very wealthy.
Again, what you know about the wealthy would fit on the head of a pin. The people I know who are really wealthy work long, hard hours.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

That's not my job*No, they just "delegate"
I get off at 5*They just leave, some of the time anyway.
I should be getting paid more*LOL!
That's my day off*I'm in meetings all day.!
I shouldn't have to do that*See above re: delegation
That's not fair*Well, no, they're the boss. They get to decide what's "fair."
It's not my fault*They'll just blame someone else!
How much vacation do I get*Right! They get to decide how much vacay they get.
(Mine in teal)

Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
there is a lot of truth to this, but to say it's oversimplified would be vastly understating the case..

Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Well at least 5 out of the top 10 richest people in the country are like her. If you want to conduct your own research, go for it. I am not here to do research for you.
You don't want to back up your statement. I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies