Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that another one who knows nothing about Agenda 21 has chimed in. I am sure that you don't know your a** from page 9 about that UN plan. I am right, am I not?
It is obvious this fits right into the agenda 21 planners. Create population centers, force people to live in little bee hives and make them want to to boot because after all they are doing "their part". Meanwhile the elite have access to what they please. All that needs now is more idiots to fall in line with the hi speed rail debacle to ship these fools from population centers to worker colonies set up and all will be complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I have to commute over an hour to work in order to live in an area where I pay more for a room with roommates than a two bedroom apartment costs where I grew up.

We're told to start from the bottom and move anywhere for a job. When we do so, there is no affordable housing for us. New York is especially precarious - people pay over $1000 to live with roommates over an hour from downtown. Many young people have no options - most job centers tend to be big cities, so that's where we go. Boston's rents have skyrocketed in the past 5 years - I can't even find a dumpy studio apartment in an urban suburb for under $800 a month before utilities.

We desperately need either lower cost housing in cities or more jobs in lower cost areas. Lower cost housing is the easier fix.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Option would be to move out of NY if you can't afford it.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The toilet seat doubles as the kitchen table, and the bowl as the kitchen sink.

I don't understand how someone can stand living in NYC. Aren't jail cells bigger than 10x10?
Oh, Lord, me, either. Give me acreage and trees and gardens and flower beds any day of the week, with a large fenced yard for the pets.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
What's funny is, if the laws currently said it was OK to build 300 sq ft apts, or heck, even 200 sq ft and Bloomberg was trying to pass a law that said the minimum size had to be 400 sq ft, the conservatives here would be flipping out about it. It's a pretty good illustration about how rampant hyper-partisanship is on C-D.
You're going to have trouble explaining that bit of nonsense.

Bloomie was a democrat

Then he became a republican.

Now he's independent.

So let's go over your theory of partisanship. Humor me.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
300sqft is really all a person needs when they are single. We are unbelievably spoiled in modern day America.

The sheer outcry against this on this forum is a showcase on why so many people are in debt, or have not saved enough for retirement. Everyone DESERVES to live in what would have been considered a mansion 100 years ago.
So let me get this straight.

These people pay huge amounts of money for toilet bowls to live in, yet spend no time there because they're out partying all the time.

Am I right so far?

How much is that partying costing them? Wouldn't they be better off spending that money on a bigger apartment?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM

385 posts, read 358,279 times
New York govt is probably the worst in the union and that is saying something, california govt is pretty close though.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So let me get this straight.

These people pay huge amounts of money for toilet bowls to live in, yet spend no time there because they're out partying all the time.

Am I right so far?

How much is that partying costing them? Wouldn't they be better off spending that money on a bigger apartment?
Then they will scream it's NOT FAIR that I don't have free healthcare. LOL. Country full of irresponsible fools.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Option would be to move out of NY if you can't afford it.
I got one job offer after college - it was in Boston. I applied everywhere from companies anywhere from Atlanta to San Francisco to the McDonald's down the street from my parents' house. I frittered away my savings getting to job interviews in Charleston, SC, Memphis, and Charlotte. In the end, only a job in Boston came through. So, should I have gone on the dole? Or moved to a high cost of living and hope nothing devastating happened to screw with my finances? I played the latter, and did fine for the 4 months before I got cancer.

Now, most people don't have something so devastating happen. But also most young people have at least some student loans (I did not). Almost all of my classmates ended up in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco - some of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. That was not for lack of trying in lower cost markets - the expensive cities are where the jobs are.

So, are you OK subsidizing our turning down jobs in high cost of living areas or are you going to keep complaining about initiatives to provide lower cost housing in these areas?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, Lord, me, either. Give me acreage and trees and gardens and flower beds any day of the week, with a large fenced yard for the pets.
Here too...but forget the fence, just let me have my 20 acres in peace.

Honestly, if people want to live crammed into a concrete hellhole in a tiny cell, more power to them. I guess a 10x10 appartment makes a work cubicle feel big. Leaves more space for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies