Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So let me get this straight.

These people pay huge amounts of money for toilet bowls to live in, yet spend no time there because they're out partying all the time.

Am I right so far?

How much is that partying costing them? Wouldn't they be better off spending that money on a bigger apartment?
Here's what's baffling: Why the disdain for people who chose to live in these smaller, cheaper places? I get that there are a lot of people on this thread who wouldn't chose this for themselves. I might have been able to do it 15 years ago, but my lifestyle is different now, so wouldn't choose it myself, but I would never look down on the people that do.

Some people need a big space, a pool, a big yard. That's fine for them, but everybody doesn't needs these things. Some folks have different priorities, and adjust accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So you want NYC to be only for rich people like Trump??
Well, it's kind of that way now!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Here's what's baffling: Why the disdain for people who chose to live in these smaller, cheaper places? I get that there are a lot of people on this thread who wouldn't chose this for themselves. I might have been able to do it 15 years ago, but my lifestyle is different now, so wouldn't choose it myself, but I would never look down on the people that do.

Some people need a big space, a pool, a big yard. That's fine for them, but everybody doesn't needs these things. Some folks have different priorities, and adjust accordingly.
Then why are you having such a difficult time adjusting to the fact that not everybody wants to live in an apartment the size of a toilet bowl?

If that's what you want, go for it, and I couldn't care less.

Got it now?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Then why are you having such a difficult time adjusting to the fact that not everybody wants to live in an apartment the size of a toilet bowl?

Got it now?
You don't want to live in my toilet bowl, and I don't want to live in your septic tank. Either way, you're still dealing with someone else's $hit.

It's baffling to me why so many people seem to be complaining about this idea. The buildings are win-win : a win for the developers who are able to break into a previously untapped market, a win for architects looking for a niche in a horrific job market for their field, a win for the landlords who won't have to deal with typical issues of running apartments with that demographic (parties, roommates bailing on rent, very little to maintain), a win for construction workers who are also struggling, and a win for young professionals either starting out or who no longer want to live with roommates but cannot afford high studio rates.

Best of all, no one is forcing anyone to move there! Or even to take on this project! It's just making people aware of a market option to address several societal issues. Considering the bedrooms I have seem many of my friends rent when they first started in NYC, I don't think demand is a problem!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,224 times
Quote:

Got it now?
I'm not having difficulty accepting that people choose either one. What on earth makes you think that I do? Was it the part where I said:

Quote:
I get that there are a lot of people on this thread who wouldn't chose this for themselves. I might have been able to do it 15 years ago, but my lifestyle is different now, so wouldn't choose it myself, but I would never look down on the people that do.

No, I guess that wouldn't be it.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that statement is retarded. No where is it said that everyone has to live in these small apartments and instead the mayor is simply saying that such small apartments must be allowed so that those people who can only afford such small places have the option to live in such places. Again, it's each individual who gets to make the choice for themselves and no one is being forced to do anything. It's to deal with a serious lack of affordable housing specifically on the island of Manhattan and no where else. People have the option to rent or buy them or not to do so. It's just an additional option specifically for the high priced Manhattan market.

This has been pointed out dozens of times in this thread so I must conclude you are deliberately ignoring these facts and therefor your comments are not serious and are simply partisan nonsense.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
300 sf???

my pool 1s bigger than that

mybedroom is bigger than that
and as you should be well aware that Long Island is much cheaper than NYC.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Once again we see conservatives attempting to prevent freedom of choice.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
I hope you never have the cojones to complain about elitist attitudes from those big city folks, since you've shown quite an acumen for elitism yourself.

BTW, are you saying that big cities aren't part of the real world?
I'm claiming elitism by saying a 10x10 box costs as much as a house payment does in the real world? LOL. No it's called reality. You should try it sometime. Too late for many though as it appears you have already been sold on the beehives to stack your worthless carcasses into for your work details. The test bed was developed with the projects being thrown up in the inner cities back in the day. Now it's moving on up.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Once again we see conservatives attempting to prevent freedom of choice.
Nobody on this thread has tried to prevent anything. Just showing how ridiculous this nonsense is. Too bad the kook fringe left has never seen an idea from a government bureaucrat that they didn't fall in love with though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies