Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think should happen?
Marriage for all. 45 52.33%
Civil unions for all. 8 9.30%
No government recognition. 22 25.58%
Other. Please explain. 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Quote:
The current structure would not be altered by removing the gender requirement.
As usual you are wrong. Since the current structure is gender based, removing would indeed change it.

Quote:
It would be altered by removing the number requirement.
In fact, it would be altered by changing any of the requirements. Perhaps not to your liking, but it would be altered.

Quote:
Why do you think that I think I know better than others? Is it because I think that the government should not deny rights and privileges without compelling interest?
Amazing how you misread things. I certainly do not think that you know better than others. It appears by your comments that you think you do.

As I stated earlier, I think the government should stay out of marriage or anything that could be related to it, including changing the laws to alter it. You seem to want the government to interfere or change existing laws. Because you think that you know better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Don't think about what two people do in their bedrooms. I don't.

Why do you have an obsession with other peoples sex lives?
Not an obsession. It is the fact that homosexuals push their sexual orientation and lifestyle on people now, through the media. And I hear ya, dont watch that then as it is a choice.
Kids are smarter than you think. When they see a healthy relationship between man and a woman, then they start seeing these homosexuals on TV, they will eventually put two and two together. So, it is subliminal messages to our kids. Stop pushing your agenda on our kids. It is an agenda for more than acceptance.,

Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Children can be, and have been "groomed" into accepting abuses by adults that continue after they are no longer minors.
OK, but on what basis do you call something an "abuse"? What's your moral code?

Quote:
Do you think that only people who follow some book have morals?
You either follow a universal moral code with authority, or you make up your own morality according to your own personal lights. Which is it for you?

Quote:
Golden rule is number one. It predates organized religion.
First, the Golden Rule doesn't shield everyone from abuse. The "as you would have them do unto you" part can justify all kinds of evil acts.

Second, from whence does the Golden Rule derive its authority? You accept it: why must everyone else accept it? Because you say so? How is that not imposing your own morality on everyone else?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM

749 posts, read 838,829 times
Quote:
Don't think about what two people do in their bedrooms. I don't.

Why do you have an obsession with other peoples sex lives?
Having a fleeting thought or two about two men disgustingly using the out door as an in door, and an organ for something other than playing a tune on, is not necessarily obsessive.

Homosexuals try to immediately and expediently play it down, because they don't have any other recourse in defending it. It IS a thoroughly deplorable act.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
I did answer. As long as siblings who can not reproduce, and were not raised together wish to get married, I have no problem with it. That would get rid of the genetic issues, and the coercion issues.
Uh, no, I'm talking about same-sex siblings who were raised together. What's wrong them having sexual relations and getting married as adults? There's no coercion, no possibility of genetic problems.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Amazing how you misread things. I certainly do not think that you know better than others. It appears by your comments that you think you do.

As I stated earlier, I think the government should stay out of marriage or anything that could be related to it, including changing the laws to alter it. You seem to want the government to interfere or change existing laws. Because you think that you know better?
I know that in this country there has to be a compelling interest to deny rights to people. I also know that in many current court cases the judges have not found there to be a compelling interest shown.

Please explain how removing the gender requirement would change anything in marriage laws except the gender requirement.

Quote:
The current structure would not be altered by removing the gender requirement. It would be altered by removing the number requirement.

Why do you think that I think I know better than others?
Is it because I think that the government should not deny rights and privileges without compelling interest?
Maybe YOU should work on your reading comprehension before you jump on others. I never said that you think I know better, I said that you think that I think that I know better.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Not an obsession. It is the fact that homosexuals push their sexual orientation and lifestyle on people now, through the media. And I hear ya, dont watch that then as it is a choice.
Kids are smarter than you think. When they see a healthy relationship between man and a woman, then they start seeing these homosexuals on TV, they will eventually put two and two together. So, it is subliminal messages to our kids. Stop pushing your agenda on our kids. It is an agenda for more than acceptance.,
You take care of what your kids watch, and I'll take care of my kids.
It isn't my job to police your children or their viewing habits.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You take care of what your kids watch, and I'll take care of my kids.
It isn't my job to police your children or their viewing habits.
Agree to disagree. If your kids come into my house and two ken dolls or two barbies start doing things that offend my kids, your kid will be on the curb waiting for you to pick them up.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
I'd prefer that government get and stay out of marriage. No recognition, privileges or benefits.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Another thing to consider is where does the homosexual marriage go. Once it is accepted, when does it stop. 65 year old man and a 13 year old girl getting married? A Pedophile marrying a 14 year old. Sandusky not getting convicted. Where does it end, where?
Equal rights? Equal liberties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies