Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have never seen another football coach so deified...
Perhaps that is the real problem. I'm not sure what can be done about it. I'm open to suggestions.

Wondering...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,101 times
I can't believe people can just throw Joe under the bus after all the good he has done. If it wasn't for him PSU football wouldn't have become a power house. Sure, a few people may have been hurt along the way, but that happens in any business. There are always a few casualties along the way. Remeber all the good that he did and all the money he brought in as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 alum kid View Post
I can't believe people can just throw Joe under the bus after all the good he has done. If it wasn't for him PSU football wouldn't have become a power house. Sure, a few people may have been hurt along the way, but that happens in any business. There are always a few casualties along the way. Remeber all the good that he did and all the money he brought in as well.
You have to be joking, or else your name is Jay Paterno.

Please stop posting.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Their have been other coaches that ran dirty programs but nothing to rival this, Barry Switzer at OKlahoma, Osborne at Nebraska, Notre Dame, Colorado. I recall one of Osborne's players threw his girl friend down a flight of stairs and still played. Big football programs are rotten to the core from the coaches to the players. Hofstra Univ in NY recently closed it's football program because of cost and problems and opened up a medical school with the savings.

Look at the behavior of the Penn St. officals and Paterno even after this came to light last year, give them credit for hiring Freeh to put any doubts to bed. Paterno still wanted to play his last game even after the story broke, talk about priorities. Hopefully some good will come out of this and it will send a message to these universities about their program oversight.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,101 times
Different opinions and free speech. Accept it or move on.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Yes Joe Paterno was one of the better coaches, I give him credit but this really eclipses any good he has done. One of the boys was abused 50-60 times by Sandusky, would you as a parent still be saying look at all the good Paterno has done?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Not that I particularly cared for his actions or for what he did, but why waste time in speaking ill of the recently departed?

Waste of time and space, no?

Other than - have at it!
Because the people he affected by his (in)actions are very much alive.

[it's not like these posts are going to 'hurt' him anyway...wherever he is]

Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Different opinions and free speech. Accept it or move on.
So, how much money do we have to donate to penn state to get your kid, younger brother etc. to give Sandusky a visit in prison? I mean, it's all good after all.

Of course I do not infer any sexual relations, just stop by to deliver cookies etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Football and money trump child rape and sexual molestation?

Unfortunately, Happy Valley (ie. State College, PA) is full of people who share your opinion, which I happen to think is despicable.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes Joe Paterno was one of the better coaches, I give him credit but this really eclipses any good he has done. One of the boys was abused 50-60 times by Sandusky, would you as a parent still be saying look at all the good Paterno has done?
Depends if they win a national championship or not.

You have to realize we are not dealing with sane people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies