Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times

Advertisements

MT SILVERTIP!!!!!!! LOL someone just gave me rep for your writting..... I owe you a rep....... LOL Sorry man. mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Your country removed a right from its citizens because of the actions of a person who obviously had no place in society.

You punished everyone because of the illegal acts of one person.

That is crazy.

Deconstruct that act of government to its logical inputs and you can apply the same reasoning to a whole host of issues with detrimental results to your society.
i don't think the down under folks have Right's as we Americans know rights. That colony of englands was a penal colony.

I read a book called Fatal Shore about how it was started, and some of it was similar to our American West dealings with natives.

You are otherwise correct the Aussie Govt punished everyone at least all the commoners who may have had 'priviledges' to own guns.

I have heard tales from Aussie gun men who are not very happy that they have been disarmed either, and I met a New Zealander gal who was thrilled to try out a hand gun and more so one of my Ak-47's.

I understand these are 2 different countries but it hardly seems so from NH USA.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't think the sketch is truth - I know it is. So do you, but your extremist viewpoint prevents you from admitting it.

As to surrendering liberty, never once in my 62 years have I ever felt the need or desire to own a firearm. So I would miss that "liberty" about like I miss being able to go 140 mph on I-80.

Gun nuts are programmed for life to see reality as an endless series of hostile encounters....for which you must be prepared to unhesitatingly take other lives to save your own. Most of our world is, in fact, nothing like that. The small part that is mostly results from precisely that misguided mindset.

Think....
Oh, I do think. Just because you have never felt the desire to own a firearm that means no one else should either? Because you choose not to exercise a right which is Constitutionally affirmed you think that right should be denied everyone? Talk about a misguided mindset!

Those who have concern for the protection of innocent life would not:
Support abortion on demand
Support warmongering Presidents and Congressmen/women in undeclared wars of aggression
Support nearly meaningless laws against impaired and destracted driving
Stand for our own government agencies illegally traffiking thousands of untracked guns and grenades across our Southern border while importing drugs and laundering drug money.
Allow local judges and defense attorneys to plea deal down illegal firearms possession & use charges by convicted felons. Instead they would demand that the book be thrown at every single felon found in possession of a firearm to be made an example of for future deterance.

No, the outrage of the left is feigned. They would rather every American be as helpless as the unarmed and unsuspecting victims in the Aurora theater, at VA Tech, and other "gun-free" zones.

Think ........utopia is a fantasy. Fix the cultural and family structural problems that are making our youth violent and causing a general disrespect for the sanctity of human life.

Banning guns is a "feel good" measure. It accomplishes nothing other than to cede individual liberty and personal responsibility for one's safety to a thrid party, the government.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 AM

102 posts, read 167,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The proliferation of guns in this country to me is a national embarrassment but it's always been this way in America. Those "militias" you referred to are called "gangs" here. The Bloods, the Crips, Diablos, Devils Disciples....ect, ect. All well armed.

Side note--my Dad was a Marine in WWII, he would NEVER tell us kids about his experiences except for the good things. He told us many times that the Australian troops he met were wonderful people and made many great friends. He actually spent some time in Australia for a month or so for liberty or something like that, just loved the place.

He never owned a gun his entire life and wouldn't allow any of us kids to hunt or have a gun while we lived under his roof. I think when you see what guns do to human beings it cures you forever.
Thank you for your comments on your Dad's service with Aussie troops in the Pacific. I can say that at least for my parent's and my own generation, we have a lot to thank the USA for what they did in the Battle of the Coral Sea in stopping the further southward march of Japan during WW2. That is when we began to realise that 'Mother' Britain would no longer give us military support in our region.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:54 AM

"You must have sucked as a police officer and investigator, because obviously you see only what you want to see, so I'd have to wonder how many innocent people you dicked over.

Your own report claims that it failed to reach a statistical significance, yet you claim exactly the opposite, and then you assert that 3% and 7.5% are significant, when it is not.

You'd sell your stocks because they declined in value 3%. Panic much?

Amused..."

Well, maybe I did or then again maybe I didn't. All I know is that in my last 5 years in law enforcement, with an Australian State crime commission, I was one of a multi-skilled team which closed down about half a dozen major organised crimal groups, seized many kilos of drugs, many, many weapons and confiscated about AUS $30 miilion in criminal assets, and I'm proud of that.

But I guess as a high school dropout I should have known better than to try and debate with a multi-lingual academic. I dips my lid to you!!

Last edited by Spudee; 07-29-2012 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Your country removed a right from its citizens because of the actions of a person who obviously had no place in society.

You punished everyone because of the illegal acts of one person.

That is crazy.

Deconstruct that act of government to its logical inputs and you can apply the same reasoning to a whole host of issues with detrimental results to your society.
Australians have never had a constitional 'right' to legally own firearms. Each State and Territory has had laws which controlled the ownership and possession of these. After Port Arthur, these jurisdictions simply tightened the laws, backed up by the Federal Government's initiation of the firearms buy-back scheme. Most clear-thinking Australian saw this terrible tragedy as an opportunity to make it harder for just anyone to legally own a firearm.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This stands alone and is too important to waste....
Lol!

As though anyone has succeeded with armed standoffs in exempting themselves from any of the laws we all have to abide by.

Mac, your guns making you free-er is a fantasy and a fallacy. All they do, collectively, is make our country a very dangerous place to live. Thus, you feel the need to arm yourself to the teeth....because of the self-created threats you fear around every corner.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Oh, I do think. Just because you have never felt the desire to own a firearm that means no one else should either? Because you choose not to exercise a right which is Constitutionally affirmed you think that right should be denied everyone?
I don’t trust anyone else with a gun....and neither do you. But the difference between us is that your solution is for anyone and everyone to have their own arsenal of firearms, exponentially increasing the threat. It is madness.

Quote:
Support warmongering Presidents and Congressmen/women in undeclared wars of aggression
Stand for our own government agencies illegally traffiking thousands of untracked guns and grenades across our Southern border while importing drugs and laundering drug money.
Allow local judges and defense attorneys to plea deal down illegal firearms possession & use charges by convicted felons. Instead they would demand that the book be thrown at every single felon found in possession of a firearm to be made an example of for future deterance.

No, the outrage of the left is feigned. They would rather every American be as helpless as the unarmed and unsuspecting victims in the Aurora theater, at VA Tech, and other "gun-free" zones.
This is pointless rambling irrelevancy. You must know that if you want to debate someone on the left, you need to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Banning guns is a "feel good" measure. It accomplishes nothing other than to cede individual liberty and personal responsibility for one's safety to a thrid party, the government.
More of the familiar gun-zealot dogma. Pure silliness....and also sadness.... to consider that so many see no liberty without a gun in their hand. It is madness – madness that straight-jackets your thought process just as PC straight-jackets the left. You know as well as I do that the general public cannot be trusted with guns, yet you are willing to fight to the death to make sure we don’t do anything about it.

There are new horizons out there....if we are willing to reach for them. Apparently you'd rather wallow in and perpetuate the savagery of our past.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't think the sketch is truth - I know it is. So do you, but your extremist viewpoint prevents you from admitting it.

As to surrendering liberty, never once in my 62 years have I ever felt the need or desire to own a firearm. So I would miss that "liberty" about like I miss being able to go 140 mph on I-80.

Gun nuts are programmed for life to see reality as an endless series of hostile encounters....for which you must be prepared to unhesitatingly take other lives to save your own. Most of our world is, in fact, nothing like that. The small part that is mostly results from precisely that misguided mindset.

Think....
so then you are for banning guns, well lets look at how that worked through out history shall we? before hitler came to power, german citizens, including jews, were allowed to own firearms. after hitler came to power one of the things he instituted was a gun ban for citizens, especially the jews. what happened? 13 million people that were considered "undesirables" were slaughtered by the government. yeah nice work there making the country safer.

and there are many stories from around the world just like this one where a dictator comes into power, disarms the populace, and the commits atrocities against the population of that country.

we are a country of 300+ million people, and crimes rates are going down, longer sentences, coupled with the possibility of an armed populace drive crime rates that way. on the other hand in britain, australia, and many other countries where highly restrictive gun laws have been instituted, the criminals still get their hands on gun, and USE THEM to commit MORE crimes.

the only gun control that truly works is getting 6 shots in the ten ring consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Oh, I do think. Just because you have never felt the desire to own a firearm that means no one else should either? Because you choose not to exercise a right which is Constitutionally affirmed you think that right should be denied everyone? Talk about a misguided mindset!

Think ........utopia is a fantasy. Fix the cultural and family structural problems that are making our youth violent and causing a general disrespect for the sanctity of human life.

well said!! too bad i couldnt rep you for this post.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Australians have never had a constitional 'right' to legally own firearms. Each State and Territory has had laws which controlled the ownership and possession of these. After Port Arthur, these jurisdictions simply tightened the laws, backed up by the Federal Government's initiation of the firearms buy-back scheme. Most clear-thinking Australian saw this terrible tragedy as an opportunity to make it harder for just anyone to legally own a firearm.
I went by what you wrote: ...banned and heavily restricted the legal ownership and use of self-loading rifles, self-loading and pump-action shotguns, and heavy controls on their legal use.

The majority were affected by the actions of a lone person unable to function in society.

Underscore area above shows you are biased and obviously will not comprehend other opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies