Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The funny thing is so far only the conservative in the OP has called for a boycott of In 'N Out where as not a single liberal has done such a thing.

As far as I can tell the liberal attitude is this:

1) Chick-fil-A gives millions to hate groups so they refuse to spend money there.

2) In 'N Out does not so people happily go there.

Those conservatives who falsely claimed this ever had anything to do with religion are either extremely ignorant or baring false witness.
Speaking of ignorant, it's "bearing", not "baring." As in "carrying", not "disrobing."

Liberals. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Avoid the issue much?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
The Holy Hotdog stand
The Blessed Barbeque joint
Jesus's Love Steakhouse

Change that billions to TRILLIONS.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
In n Out verses are quite unobtrusive and unless you look up the verse, you don't have to read anything from the Bible on the wrapper. Boycotting them for this is simply silly.

As far as I can see, In n Out does not donate to anti-gay causes. It donates to organizations that help abused children.

Child Abuse Foundation at In-N-Out Burger Company Store

Quote:
The In-N-Out Burger Foundation provides support to organizations that are involved in the prevention, residential treatment, emergency shelter, foster care, intervention, and education regarding child abuse. Join us as we work to "Make a Difference in the Life of a Child".

Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In n Out verses are quite unobtrusive and unless you look up the verse, you don't have to read anything from the Bible on the wrapper. Boycotting them for this is simply silly.

As far as I can see, In n Out does not donate to anti-gay causes. It donates to organizations that help abused children.

Child Abuse Foundation at In-N-Out Burger Company Store
Exactly! That is why some of the conservatives here are so far off base it's laughable.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,816 times
I haven't read the whole thread.

SOOOOOO...Are we alowed to eat there?

I'm Hawngry. All this talk of food, I wana IN-N-OUT Cheese burger

Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread.

SOOOOOO...Are we alowed to eat there?

I'm Hawngry. All this talk of food, I wana IN-N-OUT Cheese burger
Me too!! Give a #1 Double/Double to go please Too bad that the closest one is 450 miles away

Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Other than the one conservative in the OP claiming liberals should boycott it I haven't heard anyone say it should be boycotted so I'd say just eat there as no one has given a decent reason not to.

BTW, as a liberal, In 'N Out is the type of religiously owned business I like and happily support. They don't try to force their personal views on any one, they don't try to fund groups which try to remove rights from any one, and they generally just try to lead by example. For example, INO pays it's employees $2-$3 more per hour than other fast food places simply because the family which owns the chain feels that is the right thing to do, they also even offer their part time staff health insurance which is almost unheard of in the fast food business, all locations donate to local charities like kids sports teams or food drives, and I'm sure that does impact the company's bottom line but owners feel it is a worth while thing to do. That's part of why so many people are so loyal to the chain and it doesn't hurt that they make really good fast food.

Sure, at the end of the day INO is still just fast food (no one will confuse it with a $20 fancy burger) but everything is fresh that day, made to order, and the staff are really friendly. Most fast food places have a really high turn over rate for employees but because they pay 30%-40% more it isn't unusual to see people who have worked there 10-15 years while other fast food places can't keep people longer than 6 months. Their food prices are still very reasonable with double double costing $2.85 at my local INO. My one complaint is that the company doesn't offer franchise opportunities (and hasn't since the 1960's) because the owning family wants to keep standards high and they were unhappy with how some of the early franchises were run.

That means the company only expands when it has cash on hand to do so as the owners avoid taking on debt and locations have to be with in a few hours drive of their distribution facilities because they insist everything must be made fresh that morning and if there is anything left at the end of the day it must either be thrown out or donated to a food bank. On really busy days they'll run out and then the location just closes for the evening because they won't get more until the shipment the next morning.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Another thing I like is the founder (who has now passed on) paid himself only $100,000 per year while other CEOs pay themselves tens of millions per year. He felt that was enough for him to live comfortably and he thought it wasn't ethical for someone to get paid vastly more than even the lowest paid staff members. Most of the money was simply reinvested into the company and used to either expand the chain into more locations or to improve the pay and benefits of all employees. He did that for decades and decades because he thought it was the Christian thing to do. He kept prices low by avoiding debt like the plague, always buying his new locations outright instead of renting them (so the rent never went up), and all expansions were paid for using cash on hand instead of borrowed money. They also don't allow franchises because they felt that was the only way to maintain the highest standards of freshness, cleanliness, and maintain the company's ethical standards.

That's why the company is only found in a few states while other chains go nation wide in just a few years (like 5 Guys) but I think there long term approach and treating the company like a family business is better over the long haul. I think America would be better off if we had more ethically run businesses with a sense of community involvement like INO.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times
Looks like fast food in my future.

You go I&O !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies