Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
The state can not call it marriage. I think this issue should be brought before the Supreme Court because it is unConstitutional.
You go for it. I'll be waiting for their ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Just for the slow, I will repeat myself.

State recognized MARRIAGE is a right. The USSC has stated this in several cases.
MARRIAGE has over 1400 government granted privileges, that are being denied same sex couples.

The 14th amendment says that no state can pass laws that abridge an American citizens privileges.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?
The state has the power to define what constitutes marriage.

Do you not understand that?

I have stated many times that I would support government getting out of the marriage business - and only enforcing contracts of committment throught the courts - without granting any special benefits. Each time I propose such a common sense solution - the gay marriage supporters reject it.

What do you think?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The state has the power to define what constitutes marriage.

Do you not understand that?

I have stated many times that I would support government getting out of the marriage business - and only enforcing contracts of committment throught the courts - without granting any special benefits. Each time I propose such a common sense solution - the gay marriage supporters reject it.

What do you think?
The state can not deny rights and privileges that are granted to one American citizen to another American citizen without a compelling reason. No one has presented a compelling reason.

If you want the government out of marriage, then get your conservative buddies to go for it. Let me know how it goes.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 PM

592 posts, read 414,873 times
Quote:
Sorry, but where SSM is legal they get the SAME state issued marriage license, and certificate that heterosexuals get.

YOU don't get to tell me, or anyone else, what YOU will allow us to call our MARRIAGE.
I get to tell everyone it's not marriage.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The state can not deny rights and privileges that are granted to one American citizen to another American citizen without a compelling reason. No one has presented a compelling reason.
What are these rights and privileges and why don't single people have them?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It's not marriage.
You don't get to define marriage for anyone but yourself.

Quote:
What are these rights and privileges and why don't single people have them?
Quote:
Here are some of the legal rights that married couples have and gays and lesbians are denied:
  1. Joint parental rights of children
  2. Joint adoption
  3. Status as "next-of-kin" for hospital visits and medical decisions
  4. Right to make a decision about the disposal of loved ones remains
  5. Immigration and residency for partners from other countries
  6. Crime victims recovery benefits
  7. Domestic violence protection orders
  8. Judicial protections and immunity
  9. Automatic inheritance in the absence of a will
  10. Public safety officers death benefits
  11. Spousal veterans benefits
  12. Social Security
  13. Medicare
  14. Joint filing of tax returns
  15. Wrongful death benefits for surviving partner and children
  16. Bereavement or sick leave to care for partner or children
  17. Child support
  18. Joint Insurance Plans
  19. Tax credits including: Child tax credit, Hope and lifetime learning credits
  20. Deferred Compensation for pension and IRAs
  21. Estate and gift tax benefits
  22. Welfare and public assistance
  23. Joint housing for elderly
  24. Credit protection
  25. Medical care for survivors and dependents of certain veterans
These are just a few of the 1400 state and federal benefits that gays and lesbians are denied by not being able to marry. Most of these benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for within the legal system.
Legal Benefits of Marriage - What are the legal benefits of marriage

The reason that singles don't have them, is that they concern two people. A single is not two people, a couple is.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,397 times
Legislators should not give a damn about Christian values as the state should recognize and respect ALL religions.
FREEDOM of religion is in the darn constitution. It doesn't say Christianity above all other religions.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Where is the word marriage in the original Hebrew, or Greek version of the bible?

The first recorded use of the "word" marriage is in the 14th century. It is impossible for it to be in the original bible.

Why don't YOU use the original Hebrew or Greek word for YOUR marriage.
The meaning of the word is the same in any language.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
I get to tell everyone it's not marriage.
And I get to point out that same sex marriages are probably more marriage-like than heterosexual marriages, which seem by comparison to be mere divorces in progress

Study: Same Sex Couples Have Lower Divorce Rates Than The Straights
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans

Yoko One trying to teach Whitney Houston how to sing. That's all it is. That's all it ever was

Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
The meaning of the word is the same in any language.
No, not really. In some languages their word for marriage includes polygamous marriages, child marriages, one man one woman marriages, or same sex marriages.

You might want to look in a dictionary. Words evolve, they always have and always will. You have no control of that, and neither does your church.

If your church doesn't want to have a ceremony for same sex couples that is their right. But your church has no right to say who can have a legal government recognized marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies