Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,209,978 times

Advertisements

how was he showing his American alliance SECONDARILY? The photo I see shows him wearing a USA flag around his shoulders and arms with it held in his hands, the Mexican flag is being held in one of those hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The reason this is rubbing some the wrong way is because this is yet another episode of some Mexican people (certain Mexican people not all) in America commonly showing their great patriotism for Mexico while showing America as secondary. It happens at soccer games, sides they take over Mexico/American political topics and now the games. Americans here see this, while paying free healthcare and welfare to them and loosing jobs to them and feel insulted to a degree.

I have spent time in San Antonio and did not get that impression from people there they were friendly and not overly pro-Mexico, but I have been to El Paso and Phoenix and did.

Other people from other places have showed love to their mother country, Italians, Irish, Cubans, they all do. But people from Mexico seem to be the ones who put Mexico on a pedestal any chance they can and that irks some when America is the place giving them true opportunity, I agree with malumute on this.

I guess I am unique in a sense as I was adopted and know NOTHING of my birth parents. I am blued eyed blondish with fair skin though so it is safe to assume I have kind of European genes in me. But if I found out I was from Sweden or Norway or some place I wouldn't feel any connection to a place I have never known , all I know is I am a American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
It is an act of war, or the end result(conquered) I should say, to raise another nations flag on any soil of another nations soil.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
He said himself that he represented 2 countries. I didn't know Mexico sponsored him as well......
He's a part-time US citizen ?

Manzano wrapped in Olympic flag flap | KXAN.com
"I am honored and excited to represent both the United States and Mexico by earning this silver," Manzano said.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When we crack down on this mess, the illegals better take the friggin Mexican flag off there back window of their vehicle and replace it with stars and strips, or be a suspect!
He is a legal citizen... There is an illegal immigration sub forum to grumble about illegals on, here its off topic.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,415,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
how was he showing his American alliance SECONDARILY? The photo I see shows him wearing a USA flag around his shoulders and arms with it held in his hands, the Mexican flag is being held in one of those hands.
True, however this is a case where he should not have displayed any other flag, only the American one. He was representing one country wearing the banner of U.S.A and that should have been that.

My comments besides, is what people see too often from people from Mexico who are in America. Again not all, it would be wrong to lump all of them together but it happens enough that there is a pattern that can't be ignored.

This becomes particularly a problem when Mexico and the U.S.A are at odds with each other over certain political topics, with politicians of Mexican decent and special interest Mexican groups in America who lean toward siding with Mexico when doing so favors Mexico and hurts the U.S.A. Examples being supporting continued illegal immigration and continuing to fund free healthcare and welfare while not expecting anything from them in return such as military or public service and or seeking real citizenship. They are given everything with no incentive to give back or feel patriotic. The ONLY reason most cross the border is to make better money than they can in Mexico while they can send the money back and return anytime.

I have known many people from Cuba, various latin and Carribean countries, Vietnamese and others and while they all showed a certain connection to their roots in remembrance they all never displayed such a patriotism for their past motherland when it was in conflict of their now homeland America. They all wanted to stay no matter what and build a life in most cases, not just cross over temporarily for a paycheck.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,685,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He is a U.S. citizen because his family moved to this country legally when he was four years old.
That's a lie. If you bothered to read the article, you would have learned they all came here ILLEGALLY.

But don't let facts get in the way of your rants.

Quote:
The 27-year-old was born in Mexico, but the United States is his country now. His father migrated here illegally from the city of Dolores Hidalgo.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM

You must be aware that there are at least 40 American citizens that are participating on other countries teams in this Olympics. Would you be offended in one of them won a medal and displayed an American flag????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
True, however this is a case where he should not have displayed any other flag, only the American one. He was representing one country wearing the banner of U.S.A and that should have been that.

My comments besides, is what people see too often from people from Mexico who are in America. Again not all, it would be wrong to lump all of them together but it happens enough that there is a pattern that can't be ignored.

This becomes particularly a problem when Mexico and the U.S.A are at odds with each other over certain political topics, with politicians of Mexican decent and special interest Mexican groups in America who lean toward siding with Mexico when doing so favors Mexico and hurts the U.S.A. Examples being supporting continued illegal immigration and continuing to fund free healthcare and welfare while not expecting anything from them in return such as military or public service and or seeking real citizenship. They are given everything with no incentive to give back or feel patriotic. The ONLY reason most cross the border is to make better money than they can in Mexico while they can send the money back and return anytime.

I have known many people from Cuba, various latin and Carribean countries, Vietnamese and others and while they all showed a certain connection to their roots in remembrance they all never displayed such a patriotism for their past motherland when it was in conflict of their now homeland America. They all wanted to stay no matter what and build a life in most cases, not just cross over temporarily for a paycheck.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,174,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well to call him a Mexican would be kind of an insult to the people of Mexico. It's not as though this guy would ever stoop so low as to actually LIVE in that country. He can claim all he likes that he loves Mexico --- from afar, but he's not about to put his money where his mouth is.

But it's an insult to Americans to call him an American also.
I don't think so at all. You are what you are.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
When we crack down on this mess, the illegals better take the friggin Mexican flag off there back window of their vehicle and replace it with stars and strips, or be a suspect!
Suspected of being what?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
It is an act of war, or the end result(conquered) I should say, to raise another nations flag on any soil of another nations soil.
It happens all the time here. Does that mean we've been conquered?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies