Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You must be aware that there are at least 40 American citizens that are participating on other countries teams in this Olympics. Would you be offended in one of them won a medal and displayed an American flag????
No I am not aware since I don't follow the games unless I see a topic that catches my eye like this one. No I wouldn't be offended because it isn't my country they would be dissing but I wouldn't feel any pride either and I would expect that country to feel disrespected and I would think the athlete was out of bounds and deserving of being criticized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM

409 posts, read 957,855 times
Quote:
ll American NYC
befriend

4,519 posts, read 1,081,977 times

Send him back to Mexico. Home is where the heart is.

Its really disgusting.

This is a good example of non assimilation of hispanics
Quote:
california-jewel
befriend

13,364 posts, read 3,842,140 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz
You may question the photo, but do you think his comments are a "hoax"?

When he became a US citizen he pledged his allegiance to the United States. How can you pledge your allegiance to the only country you know, yet have an allegiance to a country that you don't know? I'm sure there were other USA athletes from other countries who became US citizens, but I didn't see any double flag waving or read/hear that they were representing two countries. As citizens, their allegiance was to the USA.

Were they playing the US anthem AND the Mexican anthem when he was being honored with his medal?

If he plans to compete in the future and represent the USA, he may have just hurt his chances of doing so. If I was on the committee, I wouldn't consider him for entry because he's suppose to represent the USA, not the USA AND Mexico.
I tend to agree mostly with what you have stated here. I was just thinking the same exact thing as you. There were other athletes from other Countries, who were US Citizens, but they carried only one US FLAG.

If you are representing one Country, that should be the flag you carry, you can be proud of your roots whatever they are. And you can mention them, but one flag should be carried, the one from the Country you represent.

This athlete was representing the US and not Mexico, as those from that Country.

If you truly have pride in being an athlete for our Country, showing another flag, does not say it with intent or conviction

Yes you have a right to fly how many flags your heart desires, but what does that tell the Americans who are viewing the Olympics. He may have hurt his chances in other ways.
Quote:
HappyTexan
befriend

40,408 posts, read 16,994,983 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea
Wow, a lot of faux-rage here. I bet if the CNN guy had not written about this, and if you had witnessed the race and the USA racer afterwards, holding both flags, you (generic 'you') would not have given it a second thought.

I did not see the race or the context of the aftermath. What if said racer, after finishing second place, had picked up an American Flag from wherever, started running around with it, and then, the announcer said:

"And there goes Pedro (or whatever his name is) up to where his great-grandmother sits. She is holding the Mexican flag. Oh, she gives Pedro the flag. Now he is holding both flags up as he celebrates his second place win".

Anyway, the important thing we learned in this thread is: if a member of the 'media' expresses an opinion of outrage about some event, the sheeple must also express outrage.

Isn't sheeple the word a lot of you use?
No "faux" rage from me. I see it all the time here. I've gone into classrooms where at least a small US flag was hung among the Mexican objects. (Educators feel it makes the kids more receptive to learning if items from their "home" country are shown in the classrooms).
I came across the below link and am likewise appalled yes appalled at people who come to this country or whose ancestors came to this country and take pride in their roots!!!. How dare these West Point cadets march in a parade holding both German and American flags!!. Why, who do they think they are! AND, displayed for all the world to see! (what will our French friends think Sacre Bleu!) Did Germany pay for their education to get into and stay at Westpoint? Did Germany teach them the values of honor, loyalty, duty, sacrifice? If they think Germany is so great why don't they move there? What's all this I hear about Texas-German? why aren't they assimilating? They are in America now so shouldn't they speak American. Why are the young people in Texas taking classes in Texas -German? HAPPY TEXAN why is this happening in Texas?? I truly fear that this country will eventually become the United States of Germany and we will be forced to eat hamburgers,pretzels, and drive BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis I am outraged, yes absolutely outraged seeing this most outrageous and egregious display of unAmericanism!!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-06/u-s-ethnic-mix-boasts-german-accent-amid-surge-of-hispanics.html

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times
He also was displaying the American flag. Seems like most of the commentors on here are not aware of that. You guys are making it seem like he was burning the American flag. Was it appropriate that he had the Mexican flag at the Olympics, no, but he always had the American flag. I don't see any photos of him only waving the Mexican flag, but there are plenty of photos of him only waving the American flag

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
It is actually possible to love your spouse and your children without the love for one lessening the love for the other. Love, like patriotism, is not a zero sum game.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted.

U.S. Olympic athlete, Mexican flag? - CNN.com

For once, I agree with Ruben Navarrette...imagine that!

If your shirt says USA at the Olympics, you are representing the USA. Not Mexico.
If he feels so strongly about Mexico he should move there and represent them.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
If he feels so strongly about Mexico he should move there and represent them.
He feels strongly about the USA. So shouldnt he stay in the USA??

Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
He feels strongly about the USA. So shouldnt he stay in the USA??
Actually he said he represented both the US and Mexico for winning that medal.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually he said he represented both the US and Mexico for winning that medal.
That's what I just said.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM

282 posts, read 472,396 times
All I'm going to say is that I have never seen Henry Cejudo wave a mexican flag. SMH.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That's a lie. If you bothered to read the article, you would have learned they all came here ILLEGALLY.

But don't let facts get in the way of your rants.
So they did - but he is a legal citizen now.

Some people are acting as if he is an illegal immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies