Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,143 times

Advertisements

Nothing short of communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem with progressives like obama is that even though they know that what they have tried in the past has failed miserably, they continue to try because they think that they have the answers to make the system they want work. it is part of their arrogance and disdain for the average person. it also proves the old saw that liberalism is a mental disorder, in that they keep trying the same things and expecting a different result.
No truer words have been said. Why those "Bush cuts" that got extended for all after all the outrage about the rich are back up for extension yet again and we're getting the same story.

I already know how that story ends so I'm not even joining in the debates.

And QE's..why how many have we tried now ? Just keep on printing that money to "kickstart" the economy. People are underemployed, under water on their homes and up to their eyeballs in CC debt and you expect them to go out and consume some more ?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Wealth is mostly concentrated among the few that were born to the purple or cheated the banks, stockholders or workers or all three. The guy that started Wall-mart worked for his wealth but his children did not and there are more of them than there are of him.
So, who do you think deserves to get the Walmart fortune?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
‎"A new vision of an America in which prosperity is shared." Doesn't our President know that that system been tried and proven to fail time and time again? -

He fails to grasp that this does not work.......

Obama: "A New Vision Of An America In Which Prosperity Is Shared" | RealClearPolitics
Wrong.

It sure sees to work well in the European countries where the "POOR" have been largely been brought into the middle class. Even Canada where we seem to have a much better social net is a much happier country than the USA. "Sharing prosperity does not mean that you are giving anything away. It can mean as little as a livable minimum wage. It can, like Canada mean that you have universal health care coverage. It also can mean investing more in education and reducing the cost of higher education to enable upward mobility in the population. It can mean, stop giving government money to the richest corporations in the country,"Corporate welfare".

What you fail to grasp is that without good programmes that will fairly share the prosperity of the nation your country will fail more and more. Your already fractured society will become worse, your just incredible violent crime rate will get worse. Your country has the largest number of people in jail in the world. Expect that to grow. The people in poverty striken areas will get poorer and the lack of educational opertunities will keep them there.

So, not only are you wrong you are dead wrong. Do you really want to see your country fall back to the conditions that existed before there was any progress made in this area. Maybe you would like to see kids put back to work, after all what do I owe to some one else's kid. That's the mentality and that is exactly where it takes you when you begin to believe that you are not your neighbours keeper. Selfishness to the max and never thanking God that is not you who lives in horrible conditions without a pot to p in. You could be just one sickness or one accident away from joining the ranks of the unfortunate and if you ever did then you would be thankful you lived in a country that sees the wisdom of sharing.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The soviets had economic policies that slowed the concentration of wealth. It died. The chinese had economic policies that slowed the concentration of wealth.....they abandoned it. The north koreans...
it wouldn't let me rep you.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
You haave some valid points but I have been to canada enuff to see that the Govt has crippled some industries to the point of going out of business. I have alot of friends that fished not anymore They just work pissant jobs so they can qualify for UI for the rest of the year

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
You haave some valid points but I have been to canada enuff to see that the Govt has crippled some industries to the point of going out of business. I have alot of friends that fished not anymore They just work pissant jobs so they can qualify for UI for the rest of the year
Yes, for sure regional disparities are a problem both in Canada and in the USA. The thing is, that historical poorer regions are begining to develop and in some cases are booming. Newfoundland is expected to be the next boom with their offshore oil begining to come on stream and big time hydro electric developments. They also hae mineral reserves that will be very important in the future.

Saskatchewan used to be a depressed region but is now booming like crazy. My daughter and family moved there this summer. My son in law is a fitter and he makes $60 per hour, $120 per hour overtime and he works 8 at $60 and 4 at $120 every day he works which is 5 days a week but the boss would like him to work 7. That works out to $960 per day. By the way, if there are any fitter, welders out there looking for something, they are hundreds of men short.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Wrong.

It sure sees to work well in the European countries where the "POOR" have been largely been brought into the middle class. Even Canada where we seem to have a much better social net is a much happier country than the USA. "Sharing prosperity does not mean that you are giving anything away. It can mean as little as a livable minimum wage.
It can, like Canada mean that you have universal health care coverage. It also can mean investing more in education and reducing the cost of higher education to enable upward mobility in the population. It can mean, stop giving government money to the richest corporations in the country,"Corporate welfare".

What you fail to grasp is that without good programmes that will fairly share the prosperity of the nation your country will fail more and more. Your already fractured society will become worse, your just incredible violent crime rate will get worse.
Your country has the largest number of people in jail in the world. Expect that to grow. The people in poverty striken areas will get poorer and the lack of educational opertunities will keep them there.

So, not only are you wrong you are dead wrong. Do you really want to see your country fall back to the conditions that existed before there was any progress made in this area.
Maybe you would like to see kids put back to work, after all what do I owe to some one else's kid. That's the mentality and that is exactly where it takes you when you begin to believe that you are not your neighbours keeper.
Selfishness to the max and never thanking God that is not you who lives in horrible conditions without a pot to p in.
You could be just one sickness or one accident away from joining the ranks of the unfortunate and if you ever did then you would be thankful you lived in a country that sees the wisdom of sharing.
Actually Canada pushes for their citizens to BUY Health INSURANCE Imagine it!
Oh and not everything is covered and it differs in each province
We cannot put more in Education enough is being spent what needs to be done is The GOV needs to be removed from Education and go back to how it was.
Without handouts our country will recover! And only then will is Prosper!
Our jails are nice look at jails in other countries the criminals don't want to ever go back there it is terrible
Gov assiatance was started because of the war as a recovery to help families get back on their feet to re-establish and look where it is now! I'd say we are worse off.
I am not my neighbors keeper!
And I'll tell you something else when I was a single mom I worked 2 jobs sometimes 3
so I would not have to go on Gov Assistance. I could not allow myself to just give up and take the easy way out and get on the Gov Tit. Its called being responsible for yourself and your offspring making your way in the world.
Which is lost on those like you. The Gov is not there to help anymore it is a lifestyle.
I knew a woman yrs ago that worked at a bank going through a divorce needed a bit of help they told her to quit her job and get on welfare because she made to much money and they could not help her she was appalled!
So again that is where our country is now and the liberals want to further this along.......
From cradle to grave as Hillary put it.......

Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Aren't the producers and the 51% of us paying income tax already sharing our prosperity to the non-producers and takers to the tune of a trillion dollars a year?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I said slowed not eliminated the concentration of wealth. What I really want to see is a completely free market for the wealthy and a substantial base income for the rest of us. Instead we have investment guarentees for the wealthy and no support for the rest of us. Effectively we need merchant Princes and not merchant Kings.
Ever considered getting a job? Just a thought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies