Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

I'm in my living room having a glass of wine now to get a little buzz on. I could just as easily take a hit but I like the flavor of this particular bottle. I'd love to see someone try to convict me of anything either way though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
The BBC did a show awhile ago called "Should I smoke dope" that was pretty interesting (still shows occasionally on BBC America). They set up a driving test for the show host. One test was after she drank a certain amount of wine and one was after she smoked a certain amount of weed. The test was driving through cones etc that measured how fast she was going, how careful or not she was, her confidence in her performance and capabilities, etc. After she drank she drove way too fast and didn't think she was having any problems. After she smoked she was driving very slowly and was quite paranoid. Showed that drunk drivers feel invincible and feel they can handle anything while the stoned driver was uber cautious. Now should EITHER be behind the wheel? NOPE! Which one would be more likely to THINK they can drive? The drinker.

Most smokers I know don't feel the need to go anywhere while high. In my job where I deal with both quite often I would MUCH rather be around stoned people than drunk people ANYDAY of the week. Stoned people don't tend to get into fights where I have seen a drunk dude cold **** a gal in the face because she dared to tell him he couldn't steal something.

I saw that documentary. Very intriguing. And you're right, you shouldn't drive under the influence of either substance. As for your second point, having worked in clubs I've seen all of the drama that alcohol can cause. People rip on stoners, but being around a bunch of drunks with their "beer muscles" flexed isn't always pleasant.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Pot does so much damage to people, communities and to the future that I would have no problem of having the death penalty for suppiers of a large amount.
Maybe confiscate property for buying it and make it tough to do it.

It's stupid to do, businesses don't want self medicating people and so forth.

Thanks for the chuckle on this fine morning!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's actually good, not bad. When we have bad law it's up to us to revolt and get it changed. The reason is we have too many poorly thought out laws, knee jerk laws, protecting special interest laws, laws passed by incredibly short sighted people, etc. We have to clean house occasionally or we will choke on ourselves. You know all those "old tyme laws" on the books that nobody pays attention too...like you can't ride your mule on the second Tuesday of April and ish like that? Yeah..defend it. You can't. They aren't enforced becasue they are stupid. This is the same thing only at the moment it's being selectively enforced and ruining lives and even when those involved agree it's wrong we hear "our hands are tied...it's the LAW". We can't allow that to continue.

You're absolutely right! So tired of hearing "Errr ummm DUHHHHH it's da law, an da laws da law" CRAP! Just because something may be a law, it doesn't always mean it's a just law, or a moral law for that matter.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'm not governing others.

Marijuana is already illegal under federal law. I believe in keeping it illegal. Completely logical. But this thread is about jury revolts against marijuana laws, not about me.
But you are. All of our decisions to support, or not support laws affects whether the laws stay on the books or not. If we are to ever shape this country into what we want, then we're going to have to stand on the choices we make.

Inaction is a choice. Supporting the law is a choice. Not supporting the law is a choice. You are choosing to support the law which is restricting other's rights.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM

990 posts, read 939,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Fleet ....................

4th & 5th graders know that Marijuana smoke contains 3 to 5 times more tar as found in tobacco !!!

What kind of simpleton would support legalizing a mind altering hallucinogen that contains even more cancer causing drugs than cigarettes !!!

Indeed ! Legalize Pot !.................... The line down at the crazy house appears to be getting longer everyday ... and now we may reasonably deduce the mindset of the majority of those folks in that bloody line !

Cheers ...................... Old Sgt. Lamar

The funny part is that you're talking about the mindset of the crazy house, but the truly crazy ones are the ones who advocate more years and BILLIONS OF DOLLARS wasted on prohibition.

Did you ever read a history book? They had this thing called "prohibition" where alcohol was made illegal. It caused TONS of crime, INCREASED binge drinking, DECREASED economic activity and was one of the most failed public policy initiatives in the history of mankind. So what does the irrational nutcase do with that information? They try it again with a substance that is less harmful and that grows in nature. Yeah, that's truly brilliance there!

Plus, your asinine argument about "cancer" is only about the smoke contained in PAPER JOINTS. One who vaporizes or eats it in food does not take in any of those carcinogens. Also, that's per joint...most hardcore pot smokers wont smoke more than a couple joints in a day, but cigarette smokers will consume 20+ cigarettes in a day, rendering that 3-5x calculation moot.

So again, all arguments for the prohibition of marijuana are based in ignorance or simply brainwashed opinions. None are based in facts or intellectual analysis.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Legalize, standardize and tax. Simple solution to a problem created by the cotton industry to surpress growing hemp fiber and the tobbacco industry trying to reduce competition.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Legalize, standardize and tax. Simple solution to a problem created by the cotton industry to surpress growing hemp fiber and the tobbacco industry trying to reduce competition.

Don't forget we also have the alcohol industry, big pharma, and those who are invested in the prison industrial complex as well.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:58 AM

990 posts, read 939,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now I've never heard of anyone having an overdose from using weed but saying that it hasn't contributed to any deaths is a far reach. We just brought up driving while intoxicated earlier in the thread. Do you actually think nobody has ever died from driving while under the influence of marijuana or simply having an accident falling down the stairs stoned etc? It is hard to actually find any study as to what the numbers actually could be because most studies on this are highly biased one way or the other.
Really? Dying from falling down the stairs stoned? Sorry, but if that's ever happened in the history of the world, the person who died was not someone who was worth keeping alive...

And it's far more likely that you'll be killed by someone messing with their phone or their A/C or Radio than someone who is driving unsafely due to marijuana consumption. Should we make A/C and Radio controls illegal? Should we take people's phones away because there's a chance they may use them while driving?

None of your arguments is a reason to keep marijuana illegal. You're trying to justify laws which have no basis in logic or fact, study the history of marijuana prohibition and then you'll realize that it's not even Constitutional for it to be illegal.

Then study the budget of the DEA. Before Reagan's idiotic ramping up of the drug war, the DEA budget was just $200,000,000/yr and there were a total of 4,000 employees. Now there are over 10,000 employees and a budget of over $2,000,000,000/yr. In 2009 there were 4,320,314 marijuana plants seized and destroyed by the government, which is a street value of $10,800,785,000 if the conservative police estimate of $2,500 a plant is used. Right there is $13,000,000,000 in governmental waste due to prohibition. 13 billion dollars wasted in the eradication, which is not to mention the 750,000+ police and judicial man-hours wasted on prosecution of nonviolent drug offenses. Nor does it take into account the profits which could be taxed if marijuana was distributed by legal US corporations.

Let's say the conservative estimate of legalization is an increase in economic activity (due to budget cuts and increased tax revenues) to be $50,000,000,000...how can ANYONE not want that? Marijuana will also be LESS accessible to kids if legalized, as it would be a controlled substance sold only to adults instead of being distributed by dealers.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Here's a study on the effects of driving while stoned done by an insurance related company.

Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows | Natural Solutions Radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies