Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftSo.IL.Behind View Post
Just for reference, the national SCHIP "Children's Healthcare" program is already in existence (since 1997) and covers seven million children who's families make TO MUCH money for medicade, but would rather have two cars and a big screen T.V. than purchase health care for their kids. This latest bill was just a stepping stone closer to full fledged socialized medicine. It would have expanded tax payer coverage of "children" up to the age of 25. I am 23 and I could financially qualify for this at the moment, but I am not a child. Why try and push universal socialized healthcare on intellegent Americans all at once? Why not move slowly under the guise of the 25 year old "children."

If you want the government to control such a large aspect of your life as your health, then by all means say that you want socialized medicine. I prefer my doctor to be the best in his field and not be an underpaid government hack that France and Cuba currently enjoy. The best people will no longer go into medicine once the government gets in and royally screws things up. Think about how well the government does anything...people that waited for the gov to help them during Katrina, the federal budget, the Postal Service as compared to Fedex and UPS, securing the border...wait they did do a great job in creating the massive dependency culture that our hard working segment of the population now enjoys funding.
good points about the ineffiency of government.
socialized medicine is strongly opposed by many.
but we have a system where a lot of people are not covered.
they just dont get medical care.
and they are working, no medical, no retirement, no paid vacation, and constant threat of losing their jobs to outresourcing and illegal labor. i guess my question is do we value these peoples contribution to our society. if we dont that is probably why we are having illegal labor problems. is it that we just dont wana pay? when people were picking peaches for 5 cents a bushel in california did anybody care except the government?

stephen s
san diego ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I personally think there should be an option for free or reduced health care costs for those who need it.

People get laid off all the time - so they are forced to try to find similiar jobs.. or get pushed into lower end jobs. At the same time, they are still required to pay all of their bills.. and COBRA. What a joke. There's not too many Americans who could get laid off tomorrow and afford everything until they can find another job - let alone if something happened to them or their kids.

It's silly to agree with a system that will destroy somebody's life by denying benefits for essential services - and end the call with "Thank you for your business with ----, have a nice day"

The government is supposed to be a safety net - that's the purpose. The current system hands out free medical care for part-time workers with a googol of children (not literally) but as soon as you're a hard-working American with no children - you get screwed. In virginia, if you have no children and want assistance with medical insurance (medicaid) you have to make less than $7K a year. That's not even $1K a month. That's not even livable.

Not to mention that the current bill will also try to phase out adults with no children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies