Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times

Advertisements

This is interesting to me because I've just had to go on a low salt diet for health problems, and I do dislike this diet.

I don't think there should be any mandatory restriction of any ingredient in food without there being some definite cause and effect problem for almost everyone. In other words, you don't want plutonium or cockroaches added to restaurant food because they are certainly harmful. High amounts of sodium are NOT implicated in many health problems - not even most hypertension! (though the older generation of doctors and nurses would dispute that). Only a very small percentage of the population needs to significantly reduce their sodium intake, so why make everyone else suffer because of us.

Basically fast foods are simply off limits to people who need to reduce sodium, though there are a few places where you can special-order foods like french fries that are unsalted (I'm thinking of In And Out Burgers). Better restaurants can usually accomodate a low-salt order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
If you're a runner you need your salt. I have weighed myself immediately before and after running on a treadmill and calculate that I lose about 2 lbs. per hour, mostly thru sweat of course, which means I'm losing probably 1500 mg. of sodium in 90 mins of running. If I eat a whopper w/ cheese after the run it only has about 700 mg. sodium, so I am still in deficit. I don't have a Boston Mkt near me so I don't know their sodium content.

THis is discrimination against runners, and really is an outrage especially considering how much running is linked to Boston (the Boston marathon). There should be some "run ins" where runners go to the BM parking lots and run around in circles to protest this new policy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
Boston Market has as much sodium as Burger King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
If you're a runner you need your salt. I have weighed myself immediately before and after running on a treadmill and calculate that I lose about 2 lbs. per hour, mostly thru sweat of course, which means I'm losing probably 1500 mg. of sodium in 90 mins of running. If I eat a whopper w/ cheese after the run it only has about 700 mg. sodium, so I am still in deficit. I don't have a Boston Mkt near me so I don't know their sodium content.

THis is discrimination against runners, and really is an outrage especially considering how much running is linked to Boston (the Boston marathon). There should be some "run ins" where runners go to the BM parking lots and run around in circles to protest this new policy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
ROFL at this.

Picture the future..you have to carry your reusable bags because all stores banned bags.
In your reusable bag you carry a salt shaker and a 32 oz plastic cup. As more things get banned, more things get added to your reusable bag and now you have no room left for shopping !

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
What's this?

A chain restaurant removing the massive amount of salt they use in their okay food?

THE HORROR

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I go out all the time, and there is no salt or pepper on the table. The chef seasons the food correctly. It would be a terrible faux pas to request salt or ketchup at any fine dining establishment, perhaps Boston Market is simply going upscale rather than appealing to the baser and lower form tastes of the fast food mentality/crowd.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Boston Market will remain base; they are just taking salt off the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I go out all the time, and there is no salt or pepper on the table. The chef seasons the food correctly. It would be a terrible faux pas to request salt or ketchup at any fine dining establishment, perhaps Boston Market is simply going upscale rather than appealing to the baser and lower form tastes of the fast food mentality/crowd.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I may try them after this change, and if taste and flavor are affected, Id never go back. And really, getting rid of salt shakers? WTH?
I don't blame you, what is the point of eating food that only taste like salt if it no longer tastes like salt?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM

If conservatives here are pretending to be outraged; you are acting like liberals.

This is a marketing gimmick.

Who even knew Boston Market was still in business?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,217,659 times
I like salt (in moderation) and thus far no high blood pressure from eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies