Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Fact is salt is needed in your diet. I don't find their food "salty". The salt shakers are sea salt, which is better for you anyway.
Salt is salt is salt, whether from the sea or underground (which originally came from the sea). It's all NaCl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And somehow this is only the second most WTH thing I've read here this morning.

What does a business decision by company have to do with liberals, abortion and salted chicken? Seriously, this place just gets nuttier and nuttier.
I know, right? I've been around this forum a long time (going on 6 years), and even I'm shaking my head at this one! Proves my point that some people can make absolutely anything into a political debate, LOL.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,336,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Now back to the topic at hand, why is a business/recipe decision from Boston Market political or controversial - and how is the government involved? Maybe this should be moved to the foods forum.
The White house has a campaign underway telling Americans what to eat and what not to eat. BM is seen as supporting the WH campaign. There is so much info regarding health and diet that Americans are more than capable of making their own choices.
For example; Many foods that are perceived to be healthy turn out not to be, like soy products. Not long ago everyone was using soy milk, tofu, soy hot dogs etc. Now there are warnings against too much soy. Salt is the same. If you don't have high blood pressure moderate amounts of salt are not bad for you. I like sea salt in moderation.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
Salt may be needed in your diet, but regular foods provide more than enough salt without the need to add more. People take in WAY too much sodium.

I think the salt shakers should be left, but I have no problem with Boston Market cutting salt out of the cooking of their foods.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I'm all about spices too, but sonethings seem so bland without the right amount of salt. At least to me anyways
Yup, I'm pretty skeptical of any claim salt isn't needed in cooking if use the right spices, unless they mean spices that contain salt.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,707 times
If you go to other fast casual restaurants most of them have taken out the salt and pepper shakers and have packets instead. The Boston Chicken by me is dirty and the employees just don't care so I stopped going there, I do miss their chicken though!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
I don't know if this is relevant, but most fast food chicken and other meats don't get such large amounts of sodium from what's added during the cooking, but from brining (immersing the meat in a heavy salt and sugar brine for some hours before cooking). Brining is a great way for home cooks to make their meats much tastier than the neighborly competition, as long as no one has health problems.

I'm going to miss brining at home.

It's also possible that Boston Market chicken simply tastes better with a bit less salt in it ..... I don't really remember from the last time I ate, but it might be a little too salty the way they're doing it now.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Boston Market is having trouble finding a niche market so they are going for the big government liberal crowd.

Good luck!
Then they should move all their stores to San Francisco.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I would just take a salt shaker with you.

Others may ask to borrow it as well. Do you think you would need a concealed carry permit? Never know where this kind of thinking will take us. A salt shaker in the hands of a child??? Best take those offensive things off the table.
Thank you more than you know for using the word 'take' instead of stupidly saying 'bring'. One of my pet peeves is people who say 'bring' when they should say 'take'.

Thank you!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM

74 posts, read 150,295 times
Salt tastes like Salt and Flavor is very different from the taste of Salt, so many people over salt their food when they actually get something that is full of the actual flavor of the food they are about to eat they think it is bland because they don't taste SALT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies