Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
If she had been a he, I would still support the school.

"Who the hell knows?" is just totally classless for a valedictorian speech. That's why they approve these things beforehand, to keep the trash-talk out.
Is "Who the heck knows?" so much better? Really??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is "Who the heck knows?" so much better? Really??????
Actually, no.

What's wrong with "Who knows?"?

But the other point is that she departed from the approved text, which is also classless.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, no.

What's wrong with "Who knows?"?

But the other point is that she departed from the approved text, which is also classless.
The point is that the approved text was, "Who the heck knows?"

And if the difference between the two is neglible, then the school has no right to withhold her diploma.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The point is that the approved text was, "Who the heck knows?"

And if the difference between the two is neglible, then the school has no right to withhold her diploma.
Ah, thanks.

In that case, I don't approve of the approved text either - but that's not my call.

I really don't approve of this young lady changing "heck" to "hell" on her own authority. That's even more calculated to offend.

Anyway, speaking of rules, I respect the rules of C-D and this conversation is off topic here.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks.

In that case, I don't approve of the approved text either - but that's not my call.

I really don't approve of this young lady changing "heck" to "hell" on her own authority. That's even more calculated to offend.

Anyway, speaking of rules, I respect the rules of C-D and this conversation is off topic here.
Great. Please explain the inconsistencies in your position, with regards to rejecting the authority of the city when it comes to you making substantive changes to your property and with regards to a young woman making a non-substantive change to one word in HER Valedictorian speech and the city subsequently punishing her for the trivial change.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
I bet some people here would be all over the city if their neighbor did electrical work with no permit or inspection that caused a fire that spread to their house. I've seen some really stupid electrical work while tearing out walls for renovation.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Great. Please explain the inconsistencies in your position, with regards to rejecting the authority of the city when it comes to you making substantive changes to your property and with regards to a young woman making a non-substantive change to one word in HER Valedictorian speech and the city subsequently punishing her for the trivial change.
What inconsistencies? Any school has a right to set rules about student speech and conduct. My city, too, has a right to require permits for microwave ovens. I haven't challenged that.

A valedictorian speech is a major public event, occurring just once annually, that reflects on the image and quality of the school.

A microwave oven is a small home appliance, used daily by a very limited number of people who approve of its presence in the home.

Regulating the former makes sense; requiring a permit for the latter is petty and intrusive.

But that's just my opinion. If you disagree, I won't think any less of you.

Peace.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I bet some people here would be all over the city if their neighbor did electrical work with no permit or inspection that caused a fire that spread to their house. I've seen some really stupid electrical work while tearing out walls for renovation.
I agree with electrical and plumbing, but one for HD to deliver and install a shed in your backyard ?
I could see going for approval to the HOA but a permit from the city ?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree with electrical and plumbing, but one for HD to deliver and install a shed in your backyard ?
I could see going for approval to the HOA but a permit from the city ?
I agree on a pre built shed. The HOA should set the rules if you live where there is one.
Being pre built there should be no issue with the structural integrity of the building.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I agree on a pre built shed. The HOA should set the rules if you live where there is one.
Being pre built there should be no issue with the structural integrity of the building.
I had one put on my property for a chicken coop. It held up better than some homes when we got hit with high winds. I had neighbors lose roof shingles, playscapes and those metal carports.

That shed never lost so much as a shingle. And I got the low HOA version (8x10) that made the perfect chicken coop once you put in some windows and a chicken door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies