Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
RPG's? Rocket Propelled Grenades?
Role Playing Games

Although, I do like the idea of Rocket Propelled Grenades...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Role Playing Games

Although, I do like the idea of Rocket Propelled Grenades...
Save your beer cans...

Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I used to be a libertarian, back in the day. But not anymore. Libertarianism is just liberalism for high earners.

But, but, BUT - I can't believe the things I'm required to get a permit for. I need a permit to build a pergola or gazebo in my backyard. I need a permit for a microwave oven upstairs. For crying out loud. Is this just a California thing?
Clearly you have no understanding of the foundations of classic liberalism when it comes to individual liberty through economic free markets. From your posts you appear to be a totalitarian minded collectivist who doesn't want the rules applied to himself, only to others, especially women.

Thank you once again for exposing the elitist underbelly of the neo-Marxists.

Clue: before you purchase property, check the zoning laws and HOA deed restrictions.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm pretty sure a dog license(tax) is standard everywhere in the US, I know at least where I live you have to have one. They were talking about requiring cat license's. LOL
Where I live, we DO have to get cats licensed (along with dogs, of course)!

I finally got sick of it this year (I had three cats). One died this year and one is 19 years old and does nothing but move from her bed to the food dish.

I told the township that two were deceased.

Utterly ridiculous!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
I dont think any place in the U.S is as strict as NYC when it comes to required permits. Its ridiculous!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
County..... Way out in the county....
Me too. I called the county way back when I first moved outside the city limits to ask about building things and he told me that if it wasn't commercial then they didn't care what I built.

Inside the city limits though...you can't even put a shed in your backyard without jumping through a number of hoops and each one along the way needs to be approved and money handed over.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I used to be a libertarian, back in the day. But not anymore. Libertarianism is just liberalism for high earners.

But, but, BUT - I can't believe the things I'm required to get a permit for. I need a permit to build a pergola or gazebo in my backyard. I need a permit for a microwave oven upstairs. For crying out loud. Is this just a California thing?
Let's see proof of both of these things, shall we?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
RPG's? Rocket Propelled Grenades?
ROFL..gamer..RPG..Role Playing Game

You know..the mighty crusader on a quest to kill the dragon and save civilization.

Then you have your MMORPG for an expanded online experience.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Let's see proof of both of these things, shall we?
Most suburban cities do require permits to add to your backyard, even if no one sees what you've added.
Many now even restrict those backyard sheds to a certain height so they can't be seen by the neighbors.

HD sells them. They make great chicken coops.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
WP was being disingenuous as usual. Undoubtedly the permit was not for the microwave oven but for the kitchen he was building in the 2nd floor addition. Kitchens require permits so the inspectors can check that the electrical service and plumbing were done properly as well as proper ventillation for the stove. This is to protect the current homeowner and any future purchasers from electrical fires or leaking pipes.

The gazebo permit is there to protect the neighbors from someone building a dangerous or a messy eyesore. The 200 ft stack of beer cans previously mentioned for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies