Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were the Chick-fil-A protests a complete failure?
Yes 61 74.39%
No 21 25.61%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
so that Chick-fil-A could lose business seems to have backfired.
You think that the point was to drive Chick-Fil-A out of business? It wasn't. The point of the protest was to draw attention to the fact that Chick-Fil-A gives corporate dollars to bigoted organizations. If people want to give their private wealth to such organization, that's fine. But a company doings so with company money is not just morally wrong, it's bad capitalism.

Dan Cathy getting a symbolic spanking from some in response to his "guilty as charged" statement was a very sweet victory in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,798,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Considering how it's still going on.
Good point.

Every time I've gone by there for lunch, the Chick-Fil-A's have been jammed, even weeks after the original date.

So it's not correct to say the protests were a failure.

It's more accurate to say they ARE a failure.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Good point.

Every time I've gone by there for lunch, the Chick-Fil-A's have been jammed, even weeks after the original date.

So it's not correct to say the protests were a failure.

It's more accurate to say they ARE a failure.
People thinking critically about what they consume is never a sign of failure. Perhaps you prefer going around shoving food in your mouth and products in your home that you don't have to think about except for the momentary pleasure it brings, but others of actually value being part of a critical citizenry that recognizes how individual choice in the world make a difference.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,997,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I love Chik-Fil-A. When I did fast food, that was my place. Every time we traveled, we went to CFA- I know which exits to take on the interstate on the way out of FL- LOL! But now I won't go there anymore.

The founder of the company has the right to speak out against what he opposes. I realize the franchise owners may not share his beliefs, but, IMO, they knew or should have known his leanings before buying into the franchise.

So, yes, I think the protest worked. I knew that CFA was a Christian-based company, but when the owner got in the hate game publicly, my family stopped eating at their restaurants.
Yes we did too. I liked their food but we have scores of other options. I just can't stand the thought of my money going to line the pockets of this creep.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,458,269 times
The protests in SUPPORT of Chick-Fil-A (aka buycott) have been successful. Chick-Fil-A is busier than ever.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,798,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
People thinking critically about what they consume is never a sign of failure. Perhaps you prefer going around shoving food in your mouth and products in your home that you don't have to think about except for the momentary pleasure it brings, but others of actually value being part of a critical citizenry that recognizes how individual choice in the world make a difference.
Very true.

A lot of people got introduced to Chick-Fil-A around Aug. 1, when all the publicity about the homosexuals' protest hit the airwaves. And a lot of them, on that day, went there and tried it out. Personally, I hadn't been there in 20 years, but when the homosexuals started raising a fuss, I looked up where they were in my county and started going there.

Now, weeks later after the newcomers have had their intro to it, and have had time to think it over... loads of them are still going.

Educated, critical choice IS making a difference. Chick-Fil-A business is booming, and KEEPS booming, long after the homosexuals tried to mess it up.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Very true.

A lot of people got introduced to Chick-Fil-A around Aug. 1, when all the publicity about the homosexuals' protest hit the airwaves. And a lot of them, on that day, went there and tried it out. Personally, I hadn't been there in 20 years, but when the homosexuals started raising a fuss, I looked up where they were in my county and started going there.

Now, weeks later after the newcomers have had their intro to it, and have had time to think it over... loads of them are still going.

Educated, critical choice IS making a difference. Chick-Fil-A business is booming, and KEEPS booming, long after the homosexuals tried to mess it up.
So you admit that the protest was a success then. Good!!!! But you should look at more of the after effects, such as Chick-Fil-A on college campuses. But regardless, choice is choice. But given the last public statement that Chick-Fil-A put out, the company is going to keep its mouth shut. Hopefully they'll do the same with the corporate giving.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,997,180 times
Enjoy your victory against the "homosexuals" and their hippie supporters.

Meanwhile, don't blink.

Two-Thirds of Democrats Now Support Gay Marriage - Pew Research Center

Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,306,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
And the protest was never about stopping everyone from going to CFA.

It was never about putting CFA out of business.
I thought the protest was about bringing attention to gay rights. Who knows.

To be honest, gay marriage is not even on my radar as far as political issues are concerned. I support it, but I'm much more concerned about other issues.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,233,524 times
Quote:
Very true.

There is nothing to back up your claim that business is booming. That is just in your mind. I have noticed no difference in the two CFA I drive by regularly.

So for someone to make a statement that they have not eaten there in 20 years- you even had to look up where they were located- yet you have all of a sudden notice the crowds... I call BS on that. Or in the least, wishful thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies