Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You might be right on that one. lol. The thought of being fat mortifies me. I am sure I would resort to desperate measures to ensure such a thing wouldn't happen to me.

Currently, I eat quite a bit, but I exercise enough though to offset the calorie intake.
I don't think not being fat usually involves desperate measures. 50 years ago we were a healthy population and we ate at home no problem (though I wasn't around 50 years ago, unfortunately). Like my gym teacher told me, just watch your diet and you should be good.

I, for one, enjoy the mobility you get from being skinny.

On topic though, unless a politician is literally sick or has issues that cause him to be gone from the office often times, I'd vote for an overweight politician if I agree with his views. While I wouldn't vote for Chris Christie, political intelligence may have little to do with nutritional intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If Christie had a little will power and self respect, he would lose a couple of hundred pounds. A lot of people look at obese people such as Christie as having no self control and lazy. Not really attributes that you are looking for in a president.
I look for the actions and results of the person - and in Christies case, his actions as the Governor of New Jersey have been great and his results have been outstanding. All this from a Republican Governor in a Democratic State.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I look for the actions and results of the person - and in Christies case, his actions as the Governor of New Jersey have been great and his results have been outstanding. All this from a Republican Governor in a Democratic State.
So you can look past his obesity. Sure, some can, others will hold it against him as a person who has little self control or self respect. I don't know much about him. I could care less either way on him personally. However, probably would not vote for an obese dude for President. There are health issues that come into play.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Well being fat is something that you can control.
Not always. Falls in the same catagory as homosexuality.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
If Christie had a little will power and self respect, he would lose a couple of hundred pounds. A lot of people look at obese people such as Christie as having no self control and lazy. Not really attributes that you are looking for in a president.
I am one of those people. IMO, allowing yourself to become as obese as Chris Christie indicates the presence of an inherent defect in that person's character. There is no way that I would vote to put someone in a leadership position if they don't have the ability to even manage their own weight.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
sure i could vote for chris christie, and i am not prejudiced against fat people.

when you stop focusing on the superficial issues in this country and start looking at substantive policy, you might actually be able to turn this country around. look at this, from simon black (sovereign man):

If you haven't heard yet, the United States of America just hit $16 trillion in debt yesterday. On a gross, nominal basis, this makes the US, by far, the greatest debtor in the history of the world.

It took the United States government over 200 years to accumulate its first trillion dollars of debt. It took only 286 days to accumulate the most recent trillion dollars of debt. 200 years vs. 286 days. This portends two key points:

1.Anyone who thinks that inflation doesn't exist is a complete idiot;
2.To say that the trend is unsustainable is a massive understatement.
At an average interest rate of 2.130%, Uncle Sam will shuffle $340 billion out the door just in interest payments this year... and it's a number that's only going up. To put it in context, China owns so much US debt that the INTEREST INCOME they receive from the Treasury Department is nearly enough to fund their entire military budget.

It's rather disgusting when you think about it.

that bothers me a heck of a lot more than "fat people" do.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
sure i could vote for chris christie, and i am not prejudiced against fat people.

when you stop focusing on the superficial issues in this country and start looking at substantive policy, you might actually be able to turn this country around. look at this, from simon black (sovereign man):

If you haven't heard yet, the United States of America just hit $16 trillion in debt yesterday. On a gross, nominal basis, this makes the US, by far, the greatest debtor in the history of the world.

It took the United States government over 200 years to accumulate its first trillion dollars of debt. It took only 286 days to accumulate the most recent trillion dollars of debt. 200 years vs. 286 days. This portends two key points:

1.Anyone who thinks that inflation doesn't exist is a complete idiot;
2.To say that the trend is unsustainable is a massive understatement.
At an average interest rate of 2.130%, Uncle Sam will shuffle $340 billion out the door just in interest payments this year... and it's a number that's only going up. To put it in context, China owns so much US debt that the INTEREST INCOME they receive from the Treasury Department is nearly enough to fund their entire military budget.

It's rather disgusting when you think about it.

that bothers me a heck of a lot more than "fat people" do.
Is there a quote in your post? If so, do you have a link? I'd like to read more.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
So you can look past his obesity. Sure, some can, others will hold it against him as a person who has little self control or self respect. I don't know much about him. I could care less either way on him personally. However, probably would not vote for an obese dude for President. There are health issues that come into play.
With due respect - You sound like a very shallow person if all you seem to care about is a persons weight. As another person pointed out, there are various reasons for a person being obese - issues that are outside of the control of the person.
Perhaps you should look into it more - it may prove to be educational.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There hasn't been a fat man to run for office either.

His size doesn't matter to me, he is results oriented and a job creator and cleaned up New Jersey. I would vote for him if he ran for president.
Actually, the unemployment rate in New Jersey is higher than when Christie was elected. He creates jobs, all right- jobs in India and China. And I'd love to hear about how he "cleaned up" New Jersey.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
For crying out loud. A person is more than just the way they look physically. Chris Cristie has a MEDICAL problem that has emotional (and maybe) inherited components. That doesn't mean he can't be an effective leader. However, if he's serious about running for president in 2016---and I think he is---he'd be wise to spend the next 4 years working with people in the medical community who specialize in his kind of problem to lose 100+ pounds. I'm a Democratic and what I like about Christie is that you get the sense that he always says exactly what's on his mind, no hidden agenda, no pandering to certain groups and saying the opposite in front of other groups, unlike Mitt who no one really knows what he really thinks.
He panders to millionaires and certain powerful interests in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies