Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,374 times

Advertisements

"image" is way too important in our society. . . .I would hope that there are other reasons he would not be elected. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Chris Christie would eat Billy Taft for lunch and being obese was not as big of a societal issue as it is today.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Yes, Chris Christie could be elected President regardless.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This thread and many of the posts on it are a sign that discrimination against weight is one of the last forms of condoned bigotry in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Denial much? What discrimination???? So, you're saying obese people are not prone to diabetes, heart and kidney disease. I have a friend whose husband has had one failed kidney transplant (cost $250,000) and has been on dialysis for the past three years, now waiting for another kidney. He was always OBESE - round as he was tall, literally. Developed diabetes, of course. Now, at 65, he is a skinny, frail little old man, fighting for his life, who hobbles around between his 3x weekly visits to the dialysis center.

In this day and age, NO ONE should be ignorant of the health effects of gross obesity.

I, too, like straight-talk. Christie is appealing in that way. If we could just cut through the BS in this country and get something done. But, we can't afford to have man as President who is a walking time bomb, physically. Not in this day and age.

Poster upthread was right - there is a medical and emotional component going on here. He needs to work on that.
And I have a grandfather who weighed over 300 pounds most of his life who worked until his late 80's and died at 96, although he did become skinny starting at about 88. Besides, Christie isn't as "round as he is tall." There is obesity and then there is morbid obesity. We currently have a president who smokes. Ronald Reagan was just plain old. Both of them, by your reasoning, shouldn't have been elected either because they were walking timebombs. As I said, it is condoned bigotry.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I purposefully did not write in the thread title "Could a Person . . ." because I don't think that a woman as heavy as Christie would stand a chance in hell of being elected President. But does Christie's weight offer a big obstacle (no pun intended) to him being a viable candidate for president in the future?
Since over 2/3 of the country's adults qualify for the distinctions of either overweight or obese, I doubt that being overweight would present an issue for either a large man or a large woman, as long as they were "large and in charge".

As long as a person owns their look and has a good presence, they should be able to do OK.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
If Christie had a little will power and self respect, he would lose a couple of hundred pounds. A lot of people look at obese people such as Christie as having no self control and lazy. Not really attributes that you are looking for in a president.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Except for the gay moustache (Taft) ...

I think Christie is cute.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Interesting, many people said the samething about a black man. Why is it, a fat person, is the only group of people, it is still politically correct to put down?

Make fun of blacks, hispanics, jews, women, et al and the world comes down on you. Make fun of fat people and everyone is laughing, slapping you on the back.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Interesting, many people said the samething about a black man. Why is it, a fat person, is the only group of people, it is still politically correct to put down?

Make fun of blacks, hispanics, jews, women, et al and the world comes down on you. Make fun of fat people and everyone is laughing, slapping you on the back.
Well being fat is something that you can control.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you have an eating disorder.
You might be right on that one. lol. The thought of being fat mortifies me. I am sure I would resort to desperate measures to ensure such a thing wouldn't happen to me.

Currently, I eat quite a bit, but I exercise enough though to offset the calorie intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies