Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Sadly, this is true. Too me it is an indication of lack of discipline unwillingness to take personal responsibility for one's health. If something happens, it is friends and relatives who pick up the pieces.

I know plenty of people that are very physically fit, yet lack personal responsibility.

it goes both ways. And what your weight is should not be an issue regarding your "personal responsibilities" or personality. What do you say about Obama's smoking habit? That is a much bigger issue in my book as that is more of a choice than a person's genetics.

Look at the person's track record and what that person has proven not what they look like.

I do on the other hand slightly understand the concern for longevity of the person. However he is still rather young, hasn't had any issues so far. It is in his best interest to lose the weight, but look how much he has already done with NJ being pro-active and still going strong. Nevermind all those vacations the president gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,183,823 times
This thread and many of the posts on it are a sign that discrimination against weight is one of the last forms of condoned bigotry in this country.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,883 times
Could a Man as Overweight as Chris Christie Be Elected President?

Only if fat states like Texas secede and form their own country

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,024,338 times
Let us not forget Grover Cleveland, second only to Taft:

I suppose if Governor Christie ran for President in 2016 that many herein will demand, not only his income tax records and college transcripts, but a detailed statement of his calorie intake, the foods he eats, and his BMI.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This thread and many of the posts on it are a sign that discrimination against weight is one of the last forms of condoned bigotry in this country.
Agree.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,788,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
For crying out loud. A person is more than just the way they look physically. Chris Cristie has a MEDICAL problem that has emotional (and maybe) inherited components. That doesn't mean he can't be an effective leader. However, if he's serious about running for president in 2016---and I think he is---he'd be wise to spend the next 4 years working with people in the medical community who specialize in his kind of problem to lose 100+ pounds. I'm a Democratic and what I like about Christie is that you get the sense that he always says exactly what's on his mind, no hidden agenda, no pandering to certain groups and saying the opposite in front of other groups, unlike Mitt who no one really knows what he really thinks.
I totally agree, with two exceptions. First, while he is so forthcoming, I don't think it would be very effective on a diplomatic level, it would be just the opposite. Hopefully he is aware of this shortcoming or someone close to him that will be working with him on 2016 so that he has enough time to work on that. Second, you mentioned that his health problem has an emotional component. That is going to be constantly questioned and scrutinzed (Romney tax returns/Obama's birth certificate).

The convention was a great platform for him. He was pretty much introducing himself to a wide audience while highlighting his abilities, and I think he was sending the message that BOTH parties are failing America.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
He needs to go on a diet. Weight is an issue in politics now. Can you imagine, Obama being elected, if his wife was 250 plus pounds? No way.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,738,243 times
I want a healthy President. Christie currently is not healthy. The stresses of that job destroy you physically, not to mention the rigors of the campaigning for almost two years. He would really need to do a Huckabee and keep it off. You can see from his past pictures he was a healthy man at one point in his adult life. Chistie is an example of a classic stress eater. Too much take out from his days as a prosecutor I suspect and now its a habit that he cant get rid of easily.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Denial much? What discrimination???? So, you're saying obese people are not prone to diabetes, heart and kidney disease. I have a friend whose husband has had one failed kidney transplant (cost $250,000) and has been on dialysis for the past three years, now waiting for another kidney. He was always OBESE - round as he was tall, literally. Developed diabetes, of course. Now, at 65, he is a skinny, frail little old man, fighting for his life, who hobbles around between his 3x weekly visits to the dialysis center.

In this day and age, NO ONE should be ignorant of the health effects of gross obesity.

I, too, like straight-talk. Christie is appealing in that way. If we could just cut through the BS in this country and get something done. But, we can't afford to have man as President who is a walking time bomb, physically. Not in this day and age.

Poster upthread was right - there is a medical and emotional component going on here. He needs to work on that.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I purposefully did not write in the thread title "Could a Person . . ." because I don't think that a woman as heavy as Christie would stand a chance in hell of being elected President. But does Christie's weight offer a big obstacle (no pun intended) to him being a viable candidate for president in the future?

Not his weight, but his overall creepiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies