Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Was this acceptable to you? I sincerely hope you stood up against this just as adamantly as you did the "That's so gay" phrase. Both are unacceptable.
Of course I stood up to it. After all, they were saying it because I AM Jewish. I also remember teachers jumping in much quicker when it was "That's so Jewish" vs. gay, and finding that unacceptable. Also, the teachers defended it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
1. How were your opinions about same-sex marriage and homosexuality in general originally formed? I was born to and raised by parents who don't discriminate based on things like that, and (for a good chunk of my life) lived in the Bay Area where gay people are just another segment of society. No opinions needed to be "formed," they just always have been as they are. Matter of fact, I found it weird the first time I realized anyone cared about this issue.

2. When did you first think seriously about same-sex marriage? I don't recall an exact moment or time period, just whenever it became a heavily-debated issue (maybe a decade or more ago?). I do remember having one discussion with my mother, maybe 10 years ago, where she said something like "you know I have absolutely nothing against gay people, but gay marriage? Wouldn't that just open up the opportunity for anyone to marry their friends for tax benefits?" When I pointed out that can ALREADY happen, just with opposite-sex friends - and how many people marry for convenience, money, citizenship, etc, she replied "oh yeah, then who cares? Let them marry!" Or something like that.

3. If there was a change in your stance, when did it occur, and what provoked it? No change, I've always supported their right to marry 100%. I've possibly become more vocal about it over the years, but only in response to the strong/vocal opposition.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-29-2012 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Mine formed when I finally got to know some folks who were gay. It's hard to hate on people you like.
That is VERY true, and probably why you'll find more opposition from places where (openly) homosexuals are rare. The fact that San Franciscans overwhelmingly support SSM isn't just because we're "liberal," it's more likely because nearly everyone here has been close to a gay person at some time or another - whether it was a co-worker, neighbor, close friend, relative, or whatever, it's difficult to vilify this group once they're no longer anonymous to you. Of course there will be exceptions, but I believe many "haters" would change their tune if they really took the time to know some gay folks. Maybe they'd finally realize they aren't much different from heterosexuals, and certainly not secretly plotting to destroy society.

A little comic relief:
http://www.truthdig.com/images/earto...ry_gays500.jpg
http://www.witnessesuntome.com/news/...da-300x220.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r4JmLGq0gu...y-marriage.png

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-29-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Interestingly, the results of this poll are exactly as I suspected - people tend to open up to the idea of homosexuality not being an "illness" when they meet seemingly normal, sane homosexuals. I have an openly homosexual cousin, and have worked with gays and lesbians before, and for the most part am surrounded by people who see same-sex marriage as an issue of equality, not nature or morality. Yet I still remain firmly against same-sex marriage, out of obedience to my Catholic faith as well as because I have not adopted the "do anything as long as it's consenting and does not hurt other people" attitude to sexuality. In addition, I believe many things that were accepted long before homosexuality was - pre-marital sex, masturbation, sexual fantasizing, contraception - are immoral, too, even though the majority of people do them and often see them as being perfectly moral behaviors. I guess it's just an ability to separate people's behaviors from their essence as a person.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is VERY true, and probably why you'll find more opposition from places where (openly) homosexuals are rare. The fact that San Franciscans overwhelmingly support SSM isn't just because we're "liberal," it's more likely because nearly everyone here has been close to a gay person at some time or another - whether it was a co-worker, neighbor, close friend, relative, or whatever, it's difficult to vilify this group once they're no longer anonymous to you. Of course there will be exceptions, but I believe many "haters" would change their tune if they really took the time to know some gay folks. Maybe they'd finally realize they aren't much different from heterosexuals, and certainly not secretly plotting to destroy society.
I know a variety of homosexuals - I've been their friends, their co-workers, and their relatives - and I do not "hate" them, but don't approve of their sexuality, either - which is not synonymous with "them". It's a part of them that I can abstract from their overall being.

And I don't think "they", as individuals, are "secretly plotting to destroy society". I do think, however, that the figures that laid the initial groundwork that led to the changes fit better that description.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interestingly, the results of this poll are exactly as I suspected - people tend to open up to the idea of homosexuality not being an "illness" when they meet seemingly normal, sane homosexuals. I have an openly homosexual cousin, and have worked with gays and lesbians before, and for the most part am surrounded by people who see same-sex marriage as an issue of equality, not nature or morality. Yet I still remain firmly against same-sex marriage, out of obedience to my Catholic faith as well as because I have not adopted the "do anything as long as it's consenting and does not hurt other people" attitude to sexuality. In addition, I believe many things that were accepted long before homosexuality was - pre-marital sex, masturbation, sexual fantasizing, contraception - are immoral, too, even though the majority of people do them and often see them as being perfectly moral behaviors. I guess it's just an ability to separate people's behaviors from their essence as a person.
Then I gather you quite passionately feel that legalizing interracial marriage has turned out to be an immoral disaster mounted upon society and can't comprehend why couples would do such a thing.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Being a straight, single male, I could give a crap either way. The gays are going to be gay regardless, nothing will change that, what do I care what they do? What a worthless topic for the country to be focused on given the current state of affairs.
I love it when people think that their priorities are the ones that everyone else should have.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I guess mine come from core beleif that mnarriage is a institutio that involves a man and woamn. I often wander where homosexual get their belief they have a automatic right to marriage which is in law of man than majority creates.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
I'm not an advocate for same sex marriage. I think of marriage as being between man/woman. However, I've met committed same sex couples to whom the act of marriage is important. Considering that about 60% of "straight" marriages end in divorce, and that there are multiple divorces amongst "straight" people ... I have no objection to people of the same sex marrying. It has no impact on my life. I believe in allowing people to find happyness wherever they can. The government has no rightful place in our bedrooms/homes.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
I am just wondering if people that are actively against same-sex marriage will one day look back on their life and think,"I just wasted a good portion of my life denying someone, I don't even know, from being happy and with the person they love because my religion said it's immoral."

I have a better Idea, if you aren't going to get a same-sex marriage, how about you just ignore the whole issue as it doesn't even effect you. Even if your religious beliefs say it's immoral, not everyone believes what you do. How would you like it if someone of another faith, say Islam, wanted to stop you from eating pork because it's immoral according to their religion? You would be down right annoyed and wondering why do they care what I eat, I'm not even of that religion. It would make no sense to you, just as it makes no sense to care about an issue that has no effect on you unless you partake in the action it is seeking to legalize. Hello.... is this sinking in....

Oh, before anyone says this is a Christian nation, no it isn't. The treaty of Tripoli makes it quite clear that we weren't a christian nation and we have laws forbidding our government from establishing a national religion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies